Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It leaves George alone though, the sole thorn among the roses!

I think the gifts of the Dominions to welcome this birth have been incredibly sweet and reflective of their countries' culture. A snowsuit from Canada as well as a huge donation towards child health, from Australia a blanket woven from the finest merino and beautifully embroidered.

The Australian PM also gave $10,000 to Healesville Sanctuary in Charlotte's name to help in the fight to preserve the endangered mountain Pygmy possum.

New Zealand gave a selection of lovely hand-made woollen goods, including little slippers and a teddy bear. The New Zealand Mint is also going to release, in honour of this birth, 1000 silver coins, with a pram (baby carriage) and entwined silver fern and English rose on the reverse. So sweet!

Okay but what actually happens to all these lux gifts?

Well hopefully someone will have a little boy next to give him bud.

These are Official gifts from countries of the Commonwealth so they will almost certainly be used by the recipients. Other gifts sent by individuals, who knows! Some are supposedly passed on to hospitals, charities anonymously, others reputedly burned.

I would guess that those gifts for George made by local firms that were personally handed over to them during William and Kate's tour of Aus/ NZ ended up in the royal nurseries.

I'm not so sure about all those toy koalas and knitted soft toys people have been giving to Harry in his Aus/NZ meetings with crowds! Even though, he was apparently seen after a similar occasion in England taking a little girl's gift for George into Kensington Palace.

I remember the Premier of NSW giving a pink woollen jumper, made here in Australia and featuring a design of white sheep and one black one, to Charles and Di as a wedding gift and in her early years Diana wore it often.

Official gifts, other than food, become part of the Royal Collection. Food and other consumables are allowed to be consumed but toys and jewels are part of the Royal Collection. That doesn't mean that they aren't used or played with, just that they can't be given away or sold.

e.g. the wombat that George was given last year is the sort of 'toy' that would be put on display if the GG visited William and Kate for an official 'meet and greet' - even well past George and Charlotte's playing with it days.

Can Charlotte in 30 years find a little necklace or China doll that was given to her on her 8th birth day and now part of the collection and love it and get it back for her girl?

Yes, it's not a museum-like collection, just that official gifts remain within the care of the royal family. Will and Kate wouldn't dispose of Canada's snowsuit or the model car they were presented with for George in Australia last year (for example) to anyone else.

They can be used in the future as part of the exhibitions at the palaces such as last year's summer opening at BP which was about Royal childhoods which had George's horse from President Obama & Andrew's toy Aston Martin as some of the items on display

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It is 2015... Toddlers can operate I phones and I heard of one somehow buying games from Amazon so why not ;)

My niece (25 months old) knows how to use a smart phone and cost her parents around 100 Euros because she bought stuff with it . She also likes to randomly call people .:lol:

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News: May 2015

I love the Official gift we are giving to Charlotte. Something personal for her, and what's more Canadian than a snowsuit after all, and something big to help other children in her name. Love it!!

Speaking of something along those lines...

Some of you may know that I make both Crocheted and Knitted items for my local NICU. Well, I had quite the stash of Hats I'd made over the Winter from a Charity Challenge I took part in that had to be sent up to them, and w/my Sister in Sudbury being my halfway point when headed to Toronto, so when I was packing last week to head down for Stars on Ice, I had an idea pop into my head. Why not this time, make the donation even more special than it usually is, and make it in the name of the new little Princess?

My Sister brought out her stash of cards for me to go through and I found a really nice one wPolar Bear Cubs on it and " A Note From The Heart...", but blank inside so I was able to explain it all. The next time she's at the Hospital for whatever reason, she'll drop them off for me, but before we did all that I made sure to get a Picture of the Hats. So here's how I'm personally celebrating the little Sweetheart's safe arrival...

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1431649921.882302.jpg

We counted and there's 32 hats both crocheted or knitted and in various sizes. From Micro Preemie to Full Term.

Anyway...I just thought I'd share that w/all of you and thought this was the right place to do it in. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
How very lovely and thoughtful!!! I love the teeny tiny hats in there with the "big" ones. I am sure they will be very much appreciated.

I've been wondering how long the press agreement will hold?

It's been said the press will respect William and Kate's privacy, and their wish to keep their children out of the limelight, provided there are a steady stream of photos released for public consumption.

But lately, there have been grumbles that William is too restrictive- that the pictures are rare and getting rarer.
It's a fine balance; I hear the paparazzi are growing restless over the lack of access to the royal children.

Is William making a mistake?
By denying access now, is he ensuring that future occasions ( like school, etc.) will be met with a swarm of reporters?
It's a very fine line; William dislikes the press but knows they come with the territory.

If he doesn't give more access to George and Charlotte, they may simply take it, and disregard all decorum.
What's the answer?

That was a wonderful thought. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated by the wearers of these hats and their mums!

Tiggersk8, those are absolutely lovely and the idea behind them is even lovelier!:)

It's been said the press will respect William and Kate's privacy, and their wish to keep their children out of the limelight, provided there are a steady stream of photos released for public consumption.

But lately, there have been grumbles that William is too restrictive- that the pictures are rare and getting rarer.
It's a fine balance; I hear the paparazzi are growing restless over the lack of access to the royal children.

By denying access now, is he ensuring that future occasions ( like school, etc.) will be met with a swarm of reporters?
It's a very fine line; William dislikes the press but knows they come with the territory.

If he doesn't give more access to George and Charlotte, they may simply take it, and disregard all decorum.
What's the answer?

Most people have their children's photos taken once or twice a year. Frankly, I don't think we or the press should demand more than that. This is a family that is seeking more normalcy and less royalty at this point in their life. And the Queen concurs with the choice. The time when your children are small is precious. Let them raise their children as they see fit.

What's the answer?

The Cambridges could provide a live-stream out of Anmer Hall, Real World of Norfolk, and the press/paps would still disregard all decorum. Public consumption knows no bounds. I'm glad they prioritize their children over the yellow press.

The Cambridges could provide a live-stream out of Anmer Hall, Real World of Norfolk, and the press/paps would still disregard all decorum. Public consumption knows no bounds. I'm glad they prioritize their children over the yellow press.

Still it works quite ok in Sweden, The Netherlands, Spain etc...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well hopefully someone will have a little boy next to give him bud.
from Guidelines and procedures relating to gifts
Under no circumstances should official gifts be sold or exchanged, but they may:
• Be personally used or consumed by the Member of The Royal Family;
• Be used or displayed in properties in Royal residences and on Royal Estates;
• Become part of the Royal Collection (as a general rule, all official gifts given to The Sovereign from a Head of State or host government automatically become part of the Royal Collection); or,
• Placed on temporary or permanent loan with a reputable organisation, including, possibly, the donor (with ownership clearly identified).

To avoid unnecessary storage costs, the retention of official gifts in storage should be reviewed annually by a panel chaired by a senior member of the Household and with a representative of the Royal Collection, nominated by the Director of the Royal Collection. The panel will consider each gift by reference to, inter alia, its national, historical, aesthetic or financial value. The following options for each gift are:
• Retaining the gift in storage;
• Incorporating the gift into the Royal Collection (upon curatorial advice);
• Loaning the gift to a reputable and appropriate organisation;
• Donating the gift to a registered charity where it is thought that it may be applied to the benefit of others; and,
• Destroying the gift if it is not to be retained, loaned or donated to charity.

Still it works quite ok in Sweden, The Netherlands, Spain etc...

In terms of media interest, you are comparing guppies with blue whales. The BRF could post 10 selfies a day and still be stalked by the paps.

Sweden, The Netherlands, Spain, etc doesn't have the world media interested in them. It's comparing apples to oranges.

In terms of media interest, you are comparing guppies with blue whales. The BRF could post 10 selfies a day and still be stalked by the paps.

The amount of media interest is not the issue here. The issue to me is that some royal families have struck a deal with the press not to stalk the children and not publish paparazzi pictures of them and in return publish their own photos, have photo ops & let the children be seen at certain events which mostly works out quite alright. If the paps can't sell the pics they won't bother taking them. Done the right way that should work in the UK as well

Sweden, The Netherlands, Spain, etc doesn't have the world media interested in them. It's comparing apples to oranges.
I agree. The "paparazzi" here in Sweden can barely be called that :p They are like British mainstream media and our mainstream media is more like the serious ones in the UK. So it's really two very very different things. Haga palace (where Victoria, Daniel and Estelle lives) is in the middle of an open park where people jog and so on and a part of their garden is right next to the park. Have you seen any pictures from that? Me neither. They say that people just like to go up and say hi or wave. But how do you guys think that would work if that was the house layout for the Cambridges?

The amount of media interest is not the issue here. The issue to me is that some royal families have struck a deal with the press not to stalk the children and not publish paparazzi pictures of them and in return publish their own photos, have photo ops & let the children be seen at certain events which mostly works out quite alright. If the paps can't sell the pics they won't bother taking them. Done the right way that should work in the UK as well

The problem is that in Sweden or the Netherlands the deals arfe able to function, as they do witht the brittish press as well. The difference is that no other country sends paparazzi to take photos of Estelle or Amelia, and no other coutries papers have much of an interest to buy the pictures. The weird way it is now is that the British papers can't/won't publish pap-pics of George but Australia can, or France or etc etc. Other countries that isn't hold to the same satandards buy the pictures and the pictures are published. This gives demand for pap-pictures plus singles out and annoys the brittish media for having to be held to a higher standard.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you. The other royal families benefit from strict European privacy laws. They only have to deal with their own countries media and perhaps an inquisitive Germany. The BRF are stalked by paps who sell the photos to Canada/U.S./Australia/Asian countries. Those places give zero ****s about privacy laws. The BRF can't make an agreement with the world's tabloid media. It would be easier to find a cure for cancer.

Well, there will be an official photo released of Princess Charlotte in the weeks to come, but I really don't think the press expect more than that at this point.
It would be nice to see George make an appearance on the Buckingham Palace balcony for the Trooping of the Colour. I think Catherine just might make it to the parade this year.

I think some members media totally understand where William and Catherine stand on their family privacy and respect their wishes. The International markets, may not be that understanding though.

Then we will have Prince George's 2nd Birthday in July, and I think a photo will be released. Also, Charlotte's Christening will take place, so there will be more photos to come from that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you. The other royal families benefit from strict European privacy laws. They only have to deal with their own countries media and perhaps an inquisitive Germany. The BRF are stalked by paps who sell the photos to Canada/U.S./Australia/Asian countries. Those places give zero ****s about privacy laws. The BRF can't make an agreement with the world's tabloid media. It would be easier to find a cure for cancer.
Thank you! You wrote it way better than me. They have a whole different beast to battle with.

People in the UK/countries would be able to see George and later on Charlotte, if the Cambridge's attended Easter Services at Windsor, and made family outings at William's polo matches. Those are controlled media environments and wouldn't hurt their privacy one bit. It's the way we got a chance to see many of the royal children before. No one expects a reality show out of the royals.

People in the UK/countries would be able to see George and later on Charlotte, if the Cambridge's attended Easter Services at Windsor, and made family outings at William's polo matches. Those are controlled media environments and wouldn't hurt their privacy one bit. It's the way we got a chance to see many of the royal children before. No one expects a reality show out of the royals.

I see you aren't acquainted with The Daily Mail.

Anyways, the Wales branch of the family celebrates Easter in Scotland. I don't see why they should alter their family traditions just so the UK tabloids get their jollies.

I see you aren't acquainted with The Daily Mail.

Anyways, the Wales branch of the family celebrates Easter in Scotland. I don't see why they should alter their family traditions just so the UK tabloids get their jollies.

I am familiar with "The Daily Fail or Mail." I pay little attention to the stuff they write, but they always have great pictures.

The Wales family stopped going to Windsor for Easter in the mid 90's. I think it may had something to do with Charles and Diana's separation/divorce and splitting time with the kids (William & Harry) at the time. I see nothing wrong with them making an appearance every now and then for Easter today though. Things have changed.

I live in the U.S. There are always photos of the Cambridge's, Charles and Camilla, Harry and the Queen ( the Globe is usually trying to kill her off) all over the magazines at the checkout lanes. There is never coverage of the other royals. Maybe in the past you would see a bit about the Monaco royals or Queen Noor because of the U.S. ties.

Victoria, Daniel and Estelle could show up at the local IKEA and no one would have a clue who they were. But Pippa Middleton biking thru town would make the local news.

Look what happen in Australia- on tour plenty of photo ops still got papped on off day.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom