Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely pictures. Prince George looks like he is having a lot of fun.

polyesco,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

The tractors are there for all the children.
It is nice Catherine is taking him to the playground so that he can learn to share with other children.

Thanks polyesco - enjoyed seeing these.

Loved how both PG and the Duchess had their sleeves rolled/pushed up - really getting into it!

(And Prince William has just had a pap - or more likely mobile phone photo by a fellow passenger - photo put out by the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" from a Ryanair flight he took.

And it looks like he was aware he was being photographed.)

Last edited:
So, young William got told off for misbehaving by his nanny, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't the only one to do that. To my understanding, William was a bit of a handful, much like George, so I'm sure there were plenty of times when Diana fussed at him, too. It's probably much the same with George: we see Kate telling him not to do something, and I'm sure there are times when his nanny has to do so also.

I remember a photo from years ago of Diana actually spanking William. Apparently he refused to come when she called him and she spanked his little butt and marched him into the waiting car. Of course, I have no clue how to find this photo but I do remember it. William was around four.

I remember a photo from years ago of Diana actually spanking William. Apparently he refused to come when she called him and she spanked his little butt and marched him into the waiting car. Of course, I have no clue how to find this photo but I do remember it. William was around four.
Uh.. This actually makes me a little sad. I know spanking is still a "proper parenting tecnique" in alot of countries but here it can equal coming in contact with the social services. Somehow I can't see that coming from the woman who advocated hugs to solve the worlds problems... :/

Uh.. This actually makes me a little sad. I know spanking is still a "proper parenting tecnique" in alot of countries but here it can equal coming in contact with the social services. Somehow I can't see that coming from the woman who advocated hugs to solve the worlds problems... :/
It's the same in my country, nowadays if you spank your children you might get trouble with the social services. BUT, I've been a witness myself, that "no spank" leds the children to be spoiled in a way you don't imagine. I speak for my family for example, my little cousin is so spoiled that she started to hit her own mother, her father sees it and does nothing, saying spanking is bad. But the child turned into a little beast and demands everything.

I think that sometimes, when a child does wrong, needs to be disciplined. Spanking is one of the ways to make your child learn, because scolding doesn't work sometimes. It doesn't kill the child. He/she might cry at the moment, but they will thank you in the future.

It's really not that big of a deal in a lot of places, though it's become increasingly controversial/questioned by many. But I'm about William's age, and I know I was spanked a few times, and I know a lot, if not most or all, of my friends were, too. I don't see it as being contradictory to the fact that Diana encouraged hugs, as my mom is a big hugger too, and certainly I received a lot more of that as a child.

Personally, I'm a bit ambivalent about spanking these days. I don't feel that I was in any way traumatized or mistreated by being spanked, and yet it was a rare occurrence for me, because 1) I was generally quite well-behaved and 2) other forms of discipline, like time-outs, seemed to be effective when needed. However, sometimes I think spanking comes out of a parent's genuine concern or fear: if a child is misbehaving and won't respond to anything else, and maybe the parent is frightened that the child's behavior or lack of response to important instructions from the parent, that child could endanger themselves in some way. I see it as a sort of last-resort approach. My attitude toward this may change when I have kids, but I definitely don't see it as something contrary to Diana as a hugger, and it doesn't make me think less of her in any way. In fact, I don't really find it surprising at all, just normal (at least for the era).

It's the same in my country, nowadays if you spank your children you might get trouble with the social services. BUT, I've been a witness myself, that "no spank" leds the children to be spoiled in a way you don't imagine. I speak for my family for example, my little cousin is so spoiled that she started to hit her own mother, her father sees it and does nothing, saying spanking is bad. But the child turned into a little beast and demands everything.

I think that sometimes, when a child does wrong, needs to be disciplined. Spanking is one of the ways to make your child learn, because scolding doesn't work sometimes. It doesn't kill the child. He/she might cry at the moment, but they will thank you in the future.
I don't think violence should be encuraged as a solution ever, and especially not learn a child that you fix bad behaviour by hurting someone. But let's not get more into it.

Discipline is not violence.

You go down a slippery slope. People also claim that verbal correction can harm someone...so what...children can just do whatever they want without correction? I would imagine all of us here have seen the results of that type of parenting.

LaRae

Of course discipline is not violence and I never said that I encouraged violence as a solution. That was not my point, but nowadays it's a crime to scold your children with, for example, slap his/hers little but or a slap on the hands. It's sad that is now regarded as violence and not discipline.
Some children don't behave well with just scolding and verbal correction, so just we let them go wild? Unfortunately, I've seen the results of it, and I fear what will become of the future generation.

Yes, I remember the incident very clearly. I was surprised by the uproar over it. She whacked his backside once and then marched him gently but firmly to the car. William was older than four though, he was about eight.

On another occasion when he was younger he disobeyed his nanny, the late Olga Powell, and ran out onto a polo field where his father Prince Charles was playing. He wasn't spanked but the photo of him bawling while being severely scolded by Olga was flashed around the world.

I 100% agree with LaRae and the others. Spanking a child is not always abuse. We now live in the era of "time outs" instead of spanking and the forbidding of corporal punishment from schools.(which I am in favor of) But has it resulted in better behaved and better adjusted children?:ermm:

Last edited:

Thanks for finding that article. I remember that the media didn't seem too upset with the spank and it didn't become "slapgate" back then. Everyone knew Diana was a loving mother and didn't beat her babies. All children need discipline and many of them aren't getting any and, in my opinion, that's the real problem. :sad:

Quite frankly I am impressed with how both boys are turning out considering their parent's marriage...all the media involvement etc.

LaRae

Quite frankly I am impressed with how both boys are turning out considering their parent's marriage...all the media involvement etc.

LaRae

So am I. It's a credit to a lot of people...Charles, Diana, the Royal nannies Barbara and Olga and Tiggy, the Queen and the DoE.

This is one case where it really did take a village to raise a child, or children.:cool:

So am I. It's a credit to a lot of people...Charles, Diana, the Royal nannies Barbara and Olga and Tiggy, the Queen and the DoE.

This is one case where it really did take a village to raise a child, or children.:cool:

Indeed. I think, at the end of the day, the boys were surrounded by enough people who loved them and cared about them that I think that really carried them through.

And, while I don't know William and Harry personally, I do know that some of the people I know who I consider to be among the most level-headed and well-balanced actually came from backgrounds that were considerably less than ideal (drama, instability, etc.). I think it's because some people learn to cope by being the calm in the middle of the storm around them. And, in that sense, I think it's very lucky that William and Harry have always had each other. When other things in their lives were intense and unpredictable, they knew they had each other, at the very least.

I think I remember reading that William also had a very competent, experienced housemaster during his time at Eton, (including around the time of his mother's death). I'm not a fan of boarding school for young children in general but I think, for these particular two boys, getting them away from home and into a school with plenty of stability and routine was probably the best thing that could have happened to them.

Several posts have been removed as off-topic as they had little to do with the topic of this thread, news about George and Charlotte.

Can we also please move on from the discussion on William, Diana, spanking and the childhood of the Wales boys and how they turned out. If you wish to discuss that, please do so in a more appropriate thread.

And since I know it's coming...To compare the interest *and more importantly* the pay check a photo of the Cambridge Children gets to that of Princess Estelle or Prince Christian or the Monaco Twins or any other European Royal Child is down right laughable. It's like comparing a seedling to a majestic full grown Maple Tree. These two are not like the rest of the Royal Children out there and never will be and due to that is why I think and believe a separate thread for those pictures that are being so divisive would be a perfect answer to the situation.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince George has proved once again how much of a style icon he is after the £85 outfit he wore to Princess Charlotte's christening sold out today.

The Prince was wearing a smocked set of red shorts and embroidered shirt by the British designer Rachel Riley, a favourite choice of the Duchess for her children's clothes.

This morning the company's website had sold out of the outfit in 12 month and 18 month sizes, though the good news if you're a new parent is that it is still available in three and six month baby sizes.
More: Prince George's £85 christening outfit sells out after his starring role on Princess Charlotte's big day - Telegraph

From the Royal Mint: The Royal Mint has struck a special edition United Kingdom 925 sterling silver £5 coin in honour of the second birthday of His Royal Highness, Prince George of Cambridge on 22 July. Approved by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Her Majesty the Queen and the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the new silver £5 coin is minted in Silver Proof finish, and restricted to a limited mintage of just 7,500 coins. The design features a familiar theme in British coinage: St. George and the dragon.
More: United Kingdom 2015 Second Birthday of Prince George £5 Silver Coin Proof

Since this is a Katie Nicholl story I'm posting it for purely entertainment purposes

What do you get for the princess with everything? Well, one good friend of the Cambridges seems to have the answer.

While Princess Charlotte has been lavished with gifts since her christening on Sunday, Royal Watch can reveal that there is one remarkable present waiting to be delivered to Kensington Palace: a rare hand oil painting of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, from one of the Cambridges’ friends.

The almost seven-foot-wide canvas has been privately commissioned by “someone very close to the family” and someone very generous—the painting is worth $200,000!

The gift is currently at the Homarge Gallery on London’s Walton Street, where it is bubble-wrapped and awaiting delivery to Kensington Palace.
More: Exclusive: Princess Charlotte Is About to Receive a Very Unusual Gift | Vanity Fair

Last edited:
Prince William: Charlotte is a "joy of Heaven", Prince George a "little monkey". ‘Catherine has been doing an amazing job as a mother and I'm very proud of her’.

He said: "It's my first day and I'm feeling the nerves.

"We're starting off on a wet Cambridge day, but I'm really looking forward to getting started.

"It's been a lot of effort and patience in training but we're here now and I'm looking forward to doing the job."

Working as a co-pilot alongside a team of medics will be Prince William's main job, but his roster will take into account his royal duties.
Video and More: Prince William begins East Anglian Air Ambulance job - BBC News

Last edited:
A "little monkey", (George), and a "little joy of heaven", (Charlotte) -

- Their father Prince Williams' description of the little Prince and Princess as he starts his new job.

I read that earlier today, and my heart melted. The man is happiest in his role as a father. I would bet money in that.

Prince George's second birthday, which will be celebrated next week, has been marked by a limited edition commemorative coin from the Royal Mint.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's toddler son's birthday is on July 22 and a sterling silver £5 coin has been struck to mark the event.

The coin bears a contemporary re-imagining of the St George and the dragon legend by artist Christopher Le Brun while the other side features the current portrait of the Queen by Jody Clark.
More: Prince George's second birthday: Limited edition commemorative coin released to mark July 22 anniversary - Mirror Online

And since I know it's coming...To compare the interest *and more importantly* the pay check a photo of the Cambridge Children gets to that of Princess Estelle or Prince Christian or the Monaco Twins or any other European Royal Child is down right laughable. It's like comparing a seedling to a majestic full grown Maple Tree. These two are not like the rest of the Royal Children out there and never will be and due to that is why I think and believe a separate thread for those pictures that are being so divisive would be a perfect answer to the situation.

Sorry, I could not disagree more. Charlotte and George are beautiful Royal children who fill the hearts of their families and countrymen with pride.

But the exact same thing can be said for Princess Estelle, Prince Christian, the Monaco twins and all the rest of the European Royal children. George and Charlotte are indeed just like their peers.

George and Charlotte are not better or more special because of the popularity of the Cambridges and the demand for photos of them.

They are simply more famous.

:previous: Very well said. Just because the other royal children aren't faced with the same level of fame George and Charlotte are, it doesn't make them inferior to them somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom