The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Queen Camilla, your description sounds like the epitome of what aristocratic estate homes used to be like.

Although this may well be the case, for some reason, I don't think Will and Kate are that formal with the kids in one part of the house and the adults in another. I'm not tending to believe either that they have an overabundance of staff. I do think that for child play with finger paints or building blocks, he's got his own playroom for that but I think they would spend time as a family for meals.

I remember it being reported that when Will went to China, someone said that in George's presence and he went running to the china cabinet looking for Daddy. Kid obviously understands the concept of china and where its kept. Perhaps, with this in mind, we see just why the Cambridges put on the extra "family" kitchen at 1A.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I've never gotten the impression that W&K are that sort of formal people...I'm sure they have a nice room where kids aren't allowed (my parents did and we weren't rich or royalty) that's used for company etc. Past that it has sounded to me like they live with minimum staff and are very hands on with their children and household.

LaRae

Old 06-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Queen Camilla, you're description sounds like the epitome of what aristocratic estate homes used to be like.

Although this may well be the case, for some reason, I don't think Will and Kate are that formal with the kids in one part of the house and the adults in another. I'm not tending to believe either that they have an overabundance of staff. I do think that for child play with finger paints or building blocks, he's got his own playroom for that but I think they would spend time as a family for meals.

I remember it being reported that when Will went to China, someone said that in George's presence and he went running to the china cabinet looking for Daddy. Kid obviously understands the concept of china and where its kept. Perhaps, with this in mind, we see just why the Cambridges put on the extra "family" kitchen at 1A.
Yes, I suspect the Cambridges have likely found a middle ground between the typical way of raising aristocratic/royal children vs. being hands-on parents and living in a family home. Obviously they live in a large house and have some staff, but I would very much doubt the kids are kept as separate from the adults as some children used to be. I think, even in "normal" families, there are often areas that are more encouraged for playing (such as the family room or the child's bedroom), whereas areas like a dining room and living room might not be the places where you bring your toys. So I would guess it might be more like that, albeit on a larger scale, for William and Kate. You have the more casual, family areas of the house, and then you probably have some more formal areas, which the kids usually aren't interested in anyway.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

IMO, Anmer and KP were only minimally updated to reflect current family upbringing.

KP still has the day and night nurseries and the main kitchen and the family kitchen.

Anmer is still probably set up the same way with only minor adjustments.

The playroom is the day nursery and George's paints and crayons would never leave that room and travel to the 'adult' area.

Most of his toys would stay in the playroom aka the day nursery.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

That all sounds rather 19th or early/mid 20th century. I'm sure KP maintains somewhat that routine because of public visitors, however I highly doubt that Anmer Hall operates that way. The DOC was not raised that way and frankly I suspect William was not really raised in that kind of stifling atmosphere. It is after all, not Downton Abbey of the early 20th century.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Majesty

I agree with Queen Camilla. I very much doubt that George has the run of Anmer Hall and is free to roam that vast place at will. In fact I am willing to bet at his age that he is mostly confined to the nursery, and is never out of sight of either his nanny or his parents when he is OUT of his nursery .

William had Nanny Barbara Barnes or Olga Powell to watch him when his mother wasn't around.

Kate probably had a more typical middle-class upbringing and therefore more freedom to roam the house as a child.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
That all sounds rather 19th or early/mid 20th century. I'm sure KP maintains somewhat that routine because of public visitors, however I highly doubt that Anmer Hall operates that way. The DOC was not raised that way and frankly I suspect William was not really raised in that kind of stifling atmosphere. It is after all, not Downton Abbey of the early 20th century.
What is being described is not 'stifling'. William had a very free-ranging childhood from what I've read (especially at Balmoral), but there were (some) limits and boundaries in the big houses. (Andrew describes freewheeling in his child's go cart down the halls of Buckingham Palace). Charles rough-housed with his sons in the nursery (not the formal sections of the house). The boys played outside around Highgrove. The nursery ran on schedule with parents showing up at various times during the day: Diana often having supper on trays in front of the telly with her sons, and Charles seeing to their baths. But this all took place within a regimen that allowed for freedom for the parents. The structure would have been experienced as normal, not stifling.

You write as though there have been 'leaks' about how the household is being run. We have no evidence that the Cambridge household is not running like a usual aristocratic (or wealthy) family household that employs servants. Once the servants are there one must allow for them and allow them their roles and places in the household to get their job done seamlessly. Just my two cents.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Majesty

I would imagine that there are areas of both homes that are not child-friendly, and that's just fine. However, I doubt that George is confined solely to the day nursery. That just doesn't sound like something his parents would be happy with. I bet a good deal of either of their residences is child-proof, so that George, and later Charlotte can feel comfortable roaming around, and being children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
What is being described is not 'stifling'. William had a very free-ranging childhood from what I've read (especially at Balmoral), but there were (some) limits and boundaries in the big houses. (Andrew describes freewheeling in his child's go cart down the halls of Buckingham Palace). Charles rough-housed with his sons in the nursery (not the formal sections of the house). The boys played outside around Highgrove. The nursery ran on schedule with parents showing up at various times during the day: Diana often having supper on trays in front of the telly with her sons, and Charles seeing to their baths. But this all took place within a regimen that allowed for freedom for the parents. The structure would have been experienced as normal, not stifling.

You write as though there have been 'leaks' about how the household is being run. We have no evidence that the Cambridge household is not running like a usual aristocratic (or wealthy) family household that employs servants. Once the servants are there one must allow for them and allow them their roles and places in the household to get their job done seamlessly. Just my two cents.

The thing is, we have no evidence of how the house is being run either way - we can only make our own assumptions. Just because they have household help doesn't mean they're running things in a particularly set way. The staff are there to help the family, not to have the family adjust to them. And I assume the Cambridges would have hired people who they feel "fit" into their idea of what kind of family life they want. Of course, I can't purport to know how things are at their house, but I would guess there's more flexibility in deciding how a household might be run than there was in decades past.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

I completely agree. I read a recent article that said the DoC is a stickler for schedules and "routine" where Prince George is concerned, which leads me to suspect that despite her hands-on parenting style her children are being given a traditional upper class upbringing more than a Main Street USA one.

Aristocratic slightly old-fashioned clothing, playtime, teatime and dinner in the nursery, bath time and a very strictly enforced bedtime all under the watchful eyes of mummy and the nanny... these things might sound regimented to some. But in the world that William grew up in and that the Cambridge kids will inhabit it's all very natural indeed.

What William and Kate really mean when they say they want a "normal" upbringing for their kids is probably that they want them to grow up without cameras in their faces every minute.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I completely agree. I read a recent article that said the DoC is a stickler for schedules and "routine" where Prince George is concerned, which leads me to suspect that despite her hands-on parenting style her children are being given a traditional upper class upbringing more than a Main Street USA one.

Aristocratic slightly old-fashioned clothing, playtime, teatime and dinner in the nursery, bath time and a very strictly enforced bedtime all under the watchful eyes of mummy and the nanny... these things might sound regimented to some. But in the world that William grew up in and that the Cambridge kids will inhabit it's all very natural indeed.

What William and Kate really mean when they say they want a "normal" upbringing for their kids is probably that they want them to grow up without cameras in their faces every minute.
Wow, I had no idea I raised my kids in an aristocratic manner .... who knew?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Majesty

It's actually rather similar to my own upbringing as well. Except there was no nanny and no magnificent country estate patrolled by police who kept paps and looky-loos from taking our photos when we were at play.

We were told what we were having for dinner. We were not given a choice.

We were never, ever allowed to call an adult by his/her first name even when we had permission to do so from the grownup, and prayers before bed were mandatory.

But most of my own friends don't raise their kids that strictly.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Apparently I, too was raised in an aristocratic manner! I really must thank my mother.

Seriously, though, not only do we not really know what goes at the homes of the Cambridges, I suspect we all have slightly different expectations of what's normal based on our own backgrounds. And our concepts or knowledge of what royal/aristocratic upbringings are or were like may vary. And, of course, William and Kate and kids are still a pretty young family, and they still might be adjusting to how they want things to be done at home.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Children thrive on schedules and routine and it is not just aristocrats who raise theirchildren like this. I know a very modest, hard working family who raise their children like this. Permissive parents are across the board in all income and class ranges.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It's actually rather similar to my own upbringing as well. Except there was no nanny and no magnificent country estate patrolled by police who kept paps and looky-loos from taking our photos when we were at play.

We were told what we were having for dinner. We were not given a choice.

We were never, ever allowed to call an adult by his/her first name even when we had permission to do so from the grownup, and prayers before bed were mandatory.

But most of my own friends don't raise their kids that strictly.
I was brought up in a similar way as well, minus the nanny, and all the other fancy stuff. I'm still in awe of the fact that my preschool students come into my classroom, and expect to run the show, and not use any manners whatsoever. I still can't call anyone older than me, or anyone who holds a position higher than myself by his/her first name. I'm glad that this type of upbringing is still utilized.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Ha ha me too and now my grandchildren. No one knows how Kate and Wills house is run except their own family

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-08-2015, 03:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
IMO, Anmer and KP were only minimally updated to reflect current family upbringing.

KP still has the day and night nurseries and the main kitchen and the family kitchen.

Anmer is still probably set up the same way with only minor adjustments.

The playroom is the day nursery and George's paints and crayons would never leave that room and travel to the 'adult' area.

Most of his toys would stay in the playroom aka the day nursery.
I agree, Queen Camilla. William and Kate are raising their children amongst a certain 'set'. They likely share ways of doing things, shaped by the realities of large houses with servants, no matter how few or modest in number those servants might be.

I personally don't think the servants are all that sparse btw. Just the way it is, no matter how Kate was raised. Kate's mother, Carole, as a business woman building a successful enterprise, had to have been pretty organized when it came to her household. It shows in Kate.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Gentry

All that just from a picture of a white couch?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
Quite right. No point mentioning that many of us plebs also have white sofa's (even when the children were babies), and brought up our children to strict routines.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post

Yes we now know where George plays ,where he is allowed to go, What sort of childhood he's going to have etc etc And they kept it as plain as they could no photos in the background etc but we still know everything
The power of the couch !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte