Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree. I read a recent article that said the DoC is a stickler for schedules and "routine" where Prince George is concerned, which leads me to suspect that despite her hands-on parenting style her children are being given a traditional upper class upbringing more than a Main Street USA one.

Aristocratic slightly old-fashioned clothing, playtime, teatime and dinner in the nursery, bath time and a very strictly enforced bedtime all under the watchful eyes of mummy and the nanny... these things might sound regimented to some. But in the world that William grew up in and that the Cambridge kids will inhabit it's all very natural indeed.

What William and Kate really mean when they say they want a "normal" upbringing for their kids is probably that they want them to grow up without cameras in their faces every minute.

Wow, I had no idea I raised my kids in an aristocratic manner .... who knew? :lol:

It's actually rather similar to my own upbringing as well. Except there was no nanny and no magnificent country estate patrolled by police who kept paps and looky-loos from taking our photos when we were at play.

We were told what we were having for dinner. We were not given a choice.

We were never, ever allowed to call an adult by his/her first name even when we had permission to do so from the grownup, and prayers before bed were mandatory.

But most of my own friends don't raise their kids that strictly.

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea I raised my kids in an aristocratic manner .... who knew? :lol:

Apparently I, too was raised in an aristocratic manner! I really must thank my mother. :D

Seriously, though, not only do we not really know what goes at the homes of the Cambridges, I suspect we all have slightly different expectations of what's normal based on our own backgrounds. And our concepts or knowledge of what royal/aristocratic upbringings are or were like may vary. And, of course, William and Kate and kids are still a pretty young family, and they still might be adjusting to how they want things to be done at home.

Children thrive on schedules and routine and it is not just aristocrats who raise theirchildren like this. I know a very modest, hard working family who raise their children like this. Permissive parents are across the board in all income and class ranges.

It's actually rather similar to my own upbringing as well. Except there was no nanny and no magnificent country estate patrolled by police who kept paps and looky-loos from taking our photos when we were at play.

We were told what we were having for dinner. We were not given a choice.

We were never, ever allowed to call an adult by his/her first name even when we had permission to do so from the grownup, and prayers before bed were mandatory.

But most of my own friends don't raise their kids that strictly.

I was brought up in a similar way as well, minus the nanny, and all the other fancy stuff. I'm still in awe of the fact that my preschool students come into my classroom, and expect to run the show, and not use any manners whatsoever. I still can't call anyone older than me, or anyone who holds a position higher than myself by his/her first name. I'm glad that this type of upbringing is still utilized.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

IMO, Anmer and KP were only minimally updated to reflect current family upbringing.

KP still has the day and night nurseries and the main kitchen and the family kitchen.

Anmer is still probably set up the same way with only minor adjustments.

The playroom is the day nursery and George's paints and crayons would never leave that room and travel to the 'adult' area.

Most of his toys would stay in the playroom aka the day nursery.

I agree, Queen Camilla. :flowers: William and Kate are raising their children amongst a certain 'set'. They likely share ways of doing things, shaped by the realities of large houses with servants, no matter how few or modest in number those servants might be.

I personally don't think the servants are all that sparse btw. Just the way it is, no matter how Kate was raised. Kate's mother, Carole, as a business woman building a successful enterprise, had to have been pretty organized when it came to her household. It shows in Kate. :flowers:

Last edited:
All that just from a picture of a white couch?

Quite right. No point mentioning that many of us plebs also have white sofa's (even when the children were babies), and brought up our children to strict routines.

All that just from a picture of a white couch?

Yes we now know where George plays ,where he is allowed to go, What sort of childhood he's going to have etc etc And they kept it as plain as they could no photos in the background etc but we still know everything
The power of the couch !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

After the birth of Prince George, William gave an interview to CNN and Max Foster asked him about this very thing.

William said he and Harry were raised to do for themselves and make their own decisions. He said when they need help they get the help but aren't surrounded by flunkies.

So it seems Diana and Charles raised their boys in a modern manner right from the start so its not out of the realm of possibility George does have the run of the place except for certain formal areas.

It is pretty obvious william and Harry were not raised like Charles. Kate came from a loving intact family with rules from everything I've seen of kate, her mother and siblings.
They are very lucky people and so are those adorable children. Looking forward to the christening

I admit that room had me worried, all white and no plastic! The house is dominated by babies! There will be kool-aid and melted crayons all over the place.

After the birth of Prince George, William gave an interview to CNN and Max Foster asked him about this very thing.

William said he and Harry were raised to do for themselves and make their own decisions. He said when they need help they get the help but aren't surrounded by flunkies.

So it seems Diana and Charles raised their boys in a modern manner right from the start so its not out of the realm of possibility George does have the run of the place except for certain formal areas.

Diana and Charles raised their kids in a "modern manner" up to a point.

Anmer Hall is enormous and George is less than two. Do you really believe he can leave the nursery at any time and toddle around the estate at will, with or without an adult in attendance?:lol:

^^^ Its an enormous estate that is no doubt been made family friendly. My comment was in response to some people making claims that George is confined to one or two rooms with the rest of the house off limits.

I think the extensive renovations at Anmer Hall took into account having children running around just like any other family home. Its kid friendly

Why is George wearing exactly the same outfit that he was seen in when he went to the hospital to visit his baby sister, the same shirt, shorts, even the same long socks? Are we sure this photo was taken at Anmer and not earlier in the month at KP after the family arrived home?

If he is does it matter? Kate recycles her clothes...imagine she will for her kids too.

But I don't think Charlotte looks like a newborn right home from the hospital.

LaRae

I too think George can run about his homes. Catherine mentioned a while back that George loves getting his hands into paint when they're painting art. Obviously, that kind of stuff is done in the art, play or nursery rooms. I don't think William and Catherine live in that old world of confining the children to one part of the house. Not even Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward were confined to one part of the estates. Andrew will tell you that they played ball, rode their bikes and played other games down the halls and corridors of Buckingham Palace. They never broke anything though.

Diana and her siblings also played up and down Althorp. Earl Spencer's kids still ride their bikes and ride dinner trays down the steps in the great halls.

Why is George wearing exactly the same outfit that he was seen in when he went to the hospital to visit his baby sister, the same shirt, shorts, even the same long socks? Are we sure this photo was taken at Anmer and not earlier in the month at KP after the family arrived home?

Per Kensington Palace, the pictures were taken at Anmer in mid-May.

He's not. He had on a blue shirt when he went to the hospital. I remember the comments about how he and William had similarly colored shirts.

The socks & shorts... well, so what if they are the same? I doubt he is going to notice that he doesn't have a brand-new pair of shorts or socks, fresh from the factory each day. And if he did, imagine the hullabaloo and fuss over that sort of extravagance.

He had a white shirt with a blue jumper on the hospital visit. Not that it matters, but a friend of mine was looking this afternoon and noticed the similarities.

Lady Nimue is correct that we don't know how George and Charlotte are being raised but we can make some educated guesses. Although 22 month old George is probably able to entertain himself for short periods of time, I doubt if he is running around the house completely unsupervised. It's not a matter of preventing damage to the furniture, it is a safety issue.

My guess is that no matter how big the house is, the family spends most of their time in 5 or 6 rooms. There are probably some off-limit areas, such as servant's quarters (for lack of a better word), mom's and dad's office(s), and anyplace that may be somewhat dangerous, like the garage.

When my kids were toddlers, they stayed mainly in the kitchen-family area and their bedrooms. We kept them out of our office and they rarely went into the basement without one of us. They took over the basement when they got older (3 or 4).

:previous:Your first paragraph makes my entire point. I did not mean to imply that certain areas of the house are off limits, only that no responsible parent or guardian would allow a toddler to roam free at a place like Anmer.

It's a safety issue.

:previous:Your first paragraph makes my entire point. I did not mean to imply that certain areas of the house are off limits, only that no responsible parent or guardian would allow a toddler to roam free at a place like Anmer.

It's a safety issue.

I should have quoted you too. I understood your point when you raised it. It depends on the child, of course. Stairs aren't the only safety issue in a house. My son would jump off the back of the sofa, swing on the curtains, turn on the stove, open the refrigerator and leave it open, get in the washing machine or dryer, etc... At other times, he would play with his blocks or cars in his room and I would just check in on him occasionally.

My guess is that George may not always be engaged with his parents or nanny, but he is usually in sight or in a room with an adult close by.

Last edited:

It's a safety issue.

Yes, but we have absolutely no idea how restricted George is. We don't know anything about how the Cambridge's have their home set up and where the kids are given free reign/where there are baby gates. We know that they have one room with a nice white couch but that's it. Everything else is assumptions people are making.

He had a white shirt with a blue jumper on the hospital visit. Not that it matters, but a friend of mine was looking this afternoon and noticed the similarities.

He wore a blue jumper, white shirt, blue shorts, and blue socks to meet his baby sister.

He's wearing a white shirt, blue shorts, and blue socks now.

However, we don't know that they're the same - he could have half a dozen pairs of blue socks, and any number of white shirts (remember, we didn't actually see the shirt, just the collar of it).

I think the choice of outfits was rather deliberately picked both times round, but not in a "let's dress him the same." Blue was probably picked because he's a little boy, and the first outfit was definitely picked to match his dad's. This time the blue socks and shorts were probably also picked because he's a little boy, while the white shirt was picked because it went with the white outfit Charlotte was in. I kind of think with the room/couch/pillow it might have looked better had Charlotte been wearing pink, but she looks like she has a very reddy complexion right now so pink might not work on her.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is not what we are talking about, I don't think. :ermm: It's the regimen of toddlers, not the big picture. Though if you read about how William and Harry were raised you might be surprised as to just how privileged it all really was.

I'd suggest reading some memoirs where the regimen of William and Harry as children is spoken about. Not sure what you mean by 'modern manner'. The boys were clearly loved by both parents but raised in posh circumstances, which entailed castles and palaces, nannies and butlers, housekeepers and manservants, etc. After a time, the boys went to boarding school where they 'did for themselves' in the time honored way of the English upper classes.

That's what I know from my reading. :bb:

:previous:Same here Lady N. I've read everything in print about the late Princess of Wales and other than the much publicized trips to McDonald's to stand in line like the "normal" people, and trips down water slides at Thorpe Park (with detectives in tow, mind you) the idea that William and Harry had anything like a middle class modern upbringing is sheer fantasy.

On the night of their mother's fatal accident they were at Balmoral Castle ensconced in their private suite of rooms. After receiving the news of the tragedy from the Prince of Wales, 15 year old William dispatched a butler to bring him a glass of warm milk.("Diana's Boys" auth. Christopher Anderson)

"Do for themselves" indeed...LOL!!

Last edited:
Does the court publish photos of George during the year so that he can be left alone?
I do not like to compare royal houses but I think it is one way the Scandinavian countries have made a deal with the press.
Photos for birthdays,
In Sweden even Christmas and national day and sometimes spring or fall photos

Does the court publish photos of George during the year so that he can be left alone?
I do not like to compare royal houses but I think it is one way the Scandinavian countries have made a deal with the press.
Photos for birthdays,
In Sweden even Christmas and national day and sometimes spring or fall photos

Yes they have been very consistent about releasing photos

June 2013 birth and front steps of hospital
October 2013 christening and official photos
March 2014 pre Australian tour photo (in the window of KP)
April 2014 NZ/Aus tour.
July 2014 1st birthday butterfly exhibit
December 2014 Christmas photo on the steps of KP
June 2015 photos with Charlotte

The reality is the press always wants more as those images sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom