The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

Hmmm.....I wonder if he's just being "kind" to Camilla's kids. Or if he's really their father:

CHARLES IN 2M GIFT FOR CAMILLA'S TWO KIDS
Feb 6 2005

He sets up huge trust fund

By David Brown

PRINCE Charles is giving a surprise 2MILLION windfall to the two children of his lover Camilla Parker Bowles.

He has set up two 1million trust funds which will benefit her son Tom, 30, and 24-year-old daughter Laura on his death.

The move is fresh evidence of the Prince's deepening commitment towards his long-time lover Camilla, 57.

It also strengthens speculation that Charles, 56, will shortly announce that he plans to marry her next year.

A royal source said: "To all intents and purposes, Prince Charles now has a second family.

"He is determined that Laura and Tom should be looked after and supported if the worst happens to him.

"It is a massive commitment by the Prince and shows he regards Camilla as a permanent fixture in his life."

Aides say there will be "a climate change" in their relationship once a police inquiry into Princess Diana's death ends in July.

The money being set aside for Eton-educated Tom - Charles's godson - and art gallery manager Laura will come from the Prince's personal fortune.

With investment interest, they would each be able to collect around 60,000 a year. Cookery writer Tom, who recently got engaged to magazine executive Sara Buys, 31, had a massive run-in with Charles after admitting dabbling in cocaine almost six years ago.

At the time he was a close friend of Princes William and Harry and was regarded as a major influence on them.

But Charles - who is already setting up a 10million trust fund for Camilla - has been impressed by the way Tom has matured since then.

- CHARLES faces a grilling over the cost of Camilla's upkeep tomorrow. Two of his aides will be questioned by MPs who want to ensure she is funded solely by the Prince's personal taxed income.

d.brown@people.co.uk

Old 02-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hmmm.....I wonder if he's just being "kind" to Camilla's kids. Or if he's really their father:

CHARLES IN 2M GIFT FOR CAMILLA'S TWO KIDS
Feb 6 2005

Kinneret,

the son of camilla looks excactly like his father, mr parker bowles, they are like 2 drops of water.
I have never seen a picture of the daughter but think that they would have been very careful not to have children together.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps he's just feeling responsible for their having gone through the experience of their parents divorcing and their mother being the object of scorn by the press and hatred by the public on account of his behaviour toward both her and Diana. Their father is now remarried, which means there's a possibility his estate will eventually be left partly to the second wife, and Charles may be trying to make up for that. There's always going to be speculation about whether Camilla's kids are really Charles's or whether Harry is really James Hewitt's son. That sort of thing sells papers and magazines, after all.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't he claim he did not have a lot of cash for divorce settlement, and whined about how costly he had to pay. Suddenly he has so much he wanted to give away! Talk about hypocracy!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's not all that sudden; the divorce settlement was nearly 10 years ago.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Princess Diana took it! when Wales got divorces but Diana took million money but Prince Charles not taking money! but Diana accept taking money to child support for Prince William and Prince Harry i watch Princess Diana's biography says that i would believe me!

Sara Boyce
Old 02-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

The amount of money Diana got was probably only a drop in the bucket. However, I don't see what the uproar is. It is his money to do as he pleases.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a deep respect for the democratic proces and if the english MPs have a right to "quiz" the prince I assume that that must be part of that proces:

From the website of the bbc:

Last Updated: Monday, 7 February, 2005,
MPs quiz aides over royal income

Questions about spending on the prince's partner may go unanswered

Senior officials at the two bodies generating private income for the Queen and Prince of Wales have been facing questioning from MPs.

Aides from the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall went before the Commons Public Accounts Committee.

It has been reported they could be questioned about Prince Charles' spending on Camilla Parker-Bowles.

But BBC correspondent Peter Hunt said they were not responsible for how money is spent and might be unable to answer.

Duchy officials, who were appearing before the committee on Monday afternoon, are only responsible for generating money.

Voluntary tax

The Duchy of Lancaster provides the Queen's private income, while the Duchy of Cornwall provides Prince Charles' annual income.

The Duchy of Cornwall is a 140,000-acre estate across 25 counties, and also includes residential properties, shops, offices, stocks and shares.

It was set up in 1337 by King Edward III to provide income for successive heirs to the throne.

It covers the cost of the prince's public and private life - neither Charles, nor William and Harry, receive taxpayers' money from the Civil List.

However, the Prince of Wales did receive over 4m from government departments and grants-in-aid in 2003-4. The duchy last year generated almost 12m. The prince has voluntarily paid income tax - currently 40% - since 1993.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
The amount of money Diana got was probably only a drop in the bucket. However, I don't see what the uproar is. It is his money to do as he pleases.
Because this is not a confirmed story, so maybe it's all rumor only. But for the argument purpose, you miss the point here. It is not his personal money. It's duchy's money or public money. It's like CEO uses company's money to hire a chef or staff for his girlfriend and write off as business expenses. He can spend his millions on camilla, nobody would have argued, but obviously he is a cheapskate. I wonder if it's true and he got caught, what the parliment gonna do? Issue a warning, or send him to Jail for tax evasion.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori
Because this is not a confirmed story, so maybe it's all rumor only. But for the argument purpose, you miss the point here. It is not his personal money. It's duchy's money or public money. It's like CEO uses company's money to hire a chef or staff for his girlfriend and write off as business expenses. He can spend his millions on camilla, nobody would have argued, but obviously he is a cheapskate. I wonder if it's true and he got caught, what the parliment gonna do? Issue a warning, or send him to Jail for tax evasion.
Perhaps I misread that it was coming from his personal fortune.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyllorac
Perhaps I misread that it was coming from his personal fortune.
It's supposed to. The point of contention is that the funds for Camilla's expenditures could be coming from public money. The Duchy of Cornwall's issue is that, though Charles draws money from that land, he might have raised the rent of the people there in order to give himself a raise of over 300%. Then that in turn, could have been used for Camilla's expenses like her wardrobe, travel expenses, upkeep, etc.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
It's supposed to. The point of contention is that the funds for Camilla's expenditures could be coming from public money. The Duchy of Cornwall's issue is that, though Charles draws money from that land, he might have raised the rent of the people there in order to give himself a raise of over 300%. Then that in turn, could have been used for Camilla's expenses like her wardrobe, travel expenses, upkeep, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Now wouldn't it just be better if he married the woman?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Courtier

It would be, then he doesn't have to answer the questions about money being allocated for her.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Or he may very well have raised the price of Duchy biscuits.

The Duchy of Cornwall was established to provide a private income for the Prince of Wales. The administration of the Duchy would appear to be extremely well-managed.
Imagine the uproar if it wasn't.

Prince Charles pays for some of Camilla's dresses. Shocking!

Diana is gone. Get over it and move on.

If William and Harry can accept Camilla, why do others find it so difficult?

Has Camilla ever tried to upstage anyone?

Does she play the papparazzi game?

Has she made secret video and tape recordings with various hangers-on?

Has she made hundreds of telephone calls from the phone box outside Clarence House?

How many of Camilla's friends have sold their stories to the tabloids?

Or do some people have a problem with Camilla because she is not young, pretty and vacuous?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Housing benefits

Labour MP Alan Williams said Prince Charles's accommodation at Clarence House, with the use of Windsor Castle, was the "best housing benefit scheme in the world".

He said Charles had been paid a total of 85 million - an annual average of 6 million for 14 years. This includes a 300% pay rise over the past decade.

"To the public that would be like winning the National Lottery every year," he said.

He added Prince Charles' income was equivalent to the combined salaries of 450 of his constituents.

Mr Williams asked the Duchy's secretary and keeper of records, Bertie Ross if he thought the Prince's income was a bit excessive. Mr Ross said it was his job to provide the income from the estates, and it was not relevant for him to comment on the sums of money generated by these.

Would they prefer the heir to the throne to live in a semi in Brixton????
Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Administrator

It was reported at the time that Diana received 15 MILLION POUNDS. Cash ...

... which Charles borrowed from his bankers.

This is backed up by the fact that very substantial death duties had to be paid out of the funds before they were passed on to William and Harry.

Apparently our Diana had neglected to make a will.

One could claim that this was one of her last great acts of irresponsibility.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wymanda, they'd probably prefer there to be no throne and no heir, hence the appeal to class warfare. I'm sure the very people who are complaining about the royal family living in Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, and Windsor Castle don't envisage pulling these buildings down, they just see themselves living there instead as members of a republican government.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Warren, I've seen references to a will of Diana's before now - there was something about her having left substantial legacies to godchildren and the executors ending up just basically giving them trinkets. Where were you reading that she hadn't made one?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Warren, I've seen references to a will of Diana's before now - there was something about her having left substantial legacies to godchildren and the executors ending up just basically giving them trinkets. Where were you reading that she hadn't made one?
elspeth,

I remember reading that her executors were her mother and her sister and it was -one way or another- up to them how her wishes were respected.

There was something not completely definite about her will but I do not know english law.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Elspeth

What I meant to say is that Diana didn't put the cash she received from Charles into any sort of trust fund(s). It was just left sitting in the bank. Quite odd when you think of the high-level financial advice that is available to the super rich in protecting their assets. As a result death duties were levied on the entire estate, so a good part of Charles's cash went straight back to the taxman, and not to Wills and Harry.

I remember at the time I thought it 'irresponsible' of her to leave her assets so unprotected. Perhaps she had had a falling out with her financial advisers! (cheap joke here, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.)

W

Tags
camilla, camilla parker-bowles, prince charles, prince of wales