Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles News 5: November 2004-February 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ennyllorac said:
Perhaps I misread that it was coming from his personal fortune.

It's supposed to. The point of contention is that the funds for Camilla's expenditures could be coming from public money. The Duchy of Cornwall's issue is that, though Charles draws money from that land, he might have raised the rent of the people there in order to give himself a raise of over 300%. Then that in turn, could have been used for Camilla's expenses like her wardrobe, travel expenses, upkeep, etc.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
It's supposed to. The point of contention is that the funds for Camilla's expenditures could be coming from public money. The Duchy of Cornwall's issue is that, though Charles draws money from that land, he might have raised the rent of the people there in order to give himself a raise of over 300%. Then that in turn, could have been used for Camilla's expenses like her wardrobe, travel expenses, upkeep, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Now wouldn't it just be better if he married the woman?

It would be, then he doesn't have to answer the questions about money being allocated for her.

Or he may very well have raised the price of Duchy biscuits.

The Duchy of Cornwall was established to provide a private income for the Prince of Wales. The administration of the Duchy would appear to be extremely well-managed.
Imagine the uproar if it wasn't.

Prince Charles pays for some of Camilla's dresses. Shocking!

Diana is gone. Get over it and move on.

If William and Harry can accept Camilla, why do others find it so difficult?

Has Camilla ever tried to upstage anyone?

Does she play the papparazzi game?

Has she made secret video and tape recordings with various hangers-on?

Has she made hundreds of telephone calls from the phone box outside Clarence House?

How many of Camilla's friends have sold their stories to the tabloids?

Or do some people have a problem with Camilla because she is not young, pretty and vacuous?

Last edited:
Housing benefits

Labour MP Alan Williams said Prince Charles's accommodation at Clarence House, with the use of Windsor Castle, was the "best housing benefit scheme in the world".

He said Charles had been paid a total of £85 million - an annual average of £6 million for 14 years. This includes a 300% pay rise over the past decade.

"To the public that would be like winning the National Lottery every year," he said.

He added Prince Charles' income was equivalent to the combined salaries of 450 of his constituents.

Mr Williams asked the Duchy's secretary and keeper of records, Bertie Ross if he thought the Prince's income was a bit excessive. Mr Ross said it was his job to provide the income from the estates, and it was not relevant for him to comment on the sums of money generated by these.

Would they prefer the heir to the throne to live in a semi in Brixton???? :confused:

It was reported at the time that Diana received 15 MILLION POUNDS. Cash ...

... which Charles borrowed from his bankers.

This is backed up by the fact that very substantial death duties had to be paid out of the funds before they were passed on to William and Harry.

Apparently our Diana had neglected to make a will.

One could claim that this was one of her last great acts of irresponsibility.

Wymanda, they'd probably prefer there to be no throne and no heir, hence the appeal to class warfare. I'm sure the very people who are complaining about the royal family living in Clarence House, Buckingham Palace, and Windsor Castle don't envisage pulling these buildings down, they just see themselves living there instead as members of a republican government.

Warren, I've seen references to a will of Diana's before now - there was something about her having left substantial legacies to godchildren and the executors ending up just basically giving them trinkets. Where were you reading that she hadn't made one?

Elspeth said:
Warren, I've seen references to a will of Diana's before now - there was something about her having left substantial legacies to godchildren and the executors ending up just basically giving them trinkets. Where were you reading that she hadn't made one?

elspeth,

I remember reading that her executors were her mother and her sister and it was -one way or another- up to them how her wishes were respected.

There was something not completely definite about her will but I do not know english law.

Elspeth

What I meant to say is that Diana didn't put the cash she received from Charles into any sort of trust fund(s). It was just left sitting in the bank. Quite odd when you think of the high-level financial advice that is available to the super rich in protecting their assets. As a result death duties were levied on the entire estate, so a good part of Charles's cash went straight back to the taxman, and not to Wills and Harry.

I remember at the time I thought it 'irresponsible' of her to leave her assets so unprotected. Perhaps she had had a falling out with her financial advisers! (cheap joke here, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.)

W

Constantine on Charles

As one of Prince Charles' closest friends, (ex) King Constantine II of Greece was interviewed by Sir David Frost on today's edition (13/02/05) of "Breakfast with Frost" about the forth comming wedding and the constitutional implications. In addition, the Bishop of Cambridge and Dr David Starkey (Historian) were also interviewed.

Constantine talked about when he first met Prince Charles and how their friendship developed. Constantine as always expressed his deep respect for Queen Elizabeth and his faith in the British People. Constantine also gave his optomistic and progressive opinion of the type of King that Charles will be.

Please find the link below to watch this edition of Breakfast with Frost, however please note that it will ONLY be available until Sunday 20th February as it is replaced by the latest edition each week. However as soon as the transcript is published I shall post it here!

BBC: Breakfast with Frost: Sunday 13th February
(interview aprox 14mins into programme)

The ability to watch the 13/02/05 edition will expire on 20/02/05

Last edited:
From BBC News:

Prince and Camilla attend Church

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles attended a church service near Charles' Highgrove home on Sunday.

The couple joined a congregation of just 34 people in St Leonard's Church in Didmarton, Gloucestershire.

Prayers were said for Charles and his future wife, who will wed on 8 April in a civil ceremony at Windsor Castle.

The pair listened to the Reverend Christopher Mulholland give a sermon on the devil's efforts to tempt Christ.

'Friendly service'

"I prayed for their happiness together and that they may come to love one another more each day and more and more draw closer to God," he said afterwards.

"People are very glad when two of the congregation have decided to get married. There was a great sense of goodwill."

Charles and Camilla were due to be reunited on Sunday evening at Highgrove after the heir to the throne spent the day carrying out official engagements.

Local Gillian Bulmer-Davison, who joined the service, said: "We feel they're our people. It's good to see them so happy. It was a very friendly service."

Clarence House said the church was one of several near Highgrove that Prince Charles regularly attended.

From POLFOTO:
Britain's Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and his bride-to-be Camilla Parker Bowles are met by Reverend Christopher Mullholland, left, as they arrive for a Sunday church service St Lawrence's Church in Didmarton, England, Sunday, Feb. 13 2005. The setting for their civil wedding will be markedly different on April 8 with the pair saying their vows in the surrounds of Windsor Castle.

Attachments

• AP764359_guest.jpg
    AP764359_guest.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 179
  • AP764361_guest.jpg
    AP764361_guest.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 211
  • AP764374_guest.jpg
    AP764374_guest.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 196
  • AP764398_guest.jpg
    AP764398_guest.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 194
  • AP764335_guest.jpg
    AP764335_guest.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 196
some more pictures of the couple at church... from Gettyimages

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 326
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 196
Caption:
NANTWICH, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 14: (NO UK SALES FOR 28 DAYS) The Prince of Wales visits the cheese making and floristry departments of the Reaseheath Agricultural College on February 14, 2005 in Nantwich, England.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 258
more photos from GettyImages...

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 490
Caption:
STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 14: HRH Prince Charles chats to members of the public gathered outside The George Inn in the Peak District on February 14, 2005 in Staffordshire, England.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 164
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 179
POUNDBURY, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 16: (NO UK SALES FOR 28 DAYS) The Prince of Wales and Chancellor Gordon Brown (L) take a tour on February 16, 2005 of the Dorset village of Poundbury, England. Prince Charles showed Mr Brown the affordable housing being built as part of a 25-year construction plan. The estate was conceived by Charles to inspire town planning and design after he derided contemporary architecture and post war developments.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 139
attachment.php

Ahh, cheese...

" (Reuters) - He may have won the hand of Camilla, but his artwork is not proving so attractive. A print by Britain's Prince Charles went up for sale at a tsunami aid auction in Ireland this week but did not make its reserve price, the organizer said Wednesday.

"We are disappointed it did not sell but that is the way it goes ... It is no reflection on the man whatsoever," Fergus Ahern told Reuters. "It is the luck of the draw." Other donated paintings sold for a total of about 300,000 euros ($390,000) but bidders at the Royal Hibernian Academy shunned the 30,000 euro reserve price tagged on "Windsor Castle North Aspect," a rare lithograph by the heir to the British throne. Charles, whose interests include architecture and organic farming, originally gave the lithograph to an earlier Ahern charity auction, but the buyer decided to re-donate the piece. "

This is interesting. He´s not bad though. I like the prints he did as album covers some years ago. They were nice.

Polfoto 20-02-2005 Britain's Prince Charles talks with Rev. Christopher Mulholland as he leaves St Michael & All Angels Church at Little Badminton, England Sunday Feb. 20, 2005.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 153
I read that many thought that camilla could become Queen :confused:

But it's not possible .... she will be duchess of Cornouailles in reference to the one of the titles of Charles. she will have neither official obligation, no constitutional role. But she will be called "His Royal Highness".... and if Charles goes up on the trone, she will be princess consort !

Partly by the fact that camilla is divorced !

I hope that I don't have do too many English mistakes :p

Joining this discussion rather late in the game, but I'd like to add my rather pragmatic viewpoint. So here's my macrolevel take.

The way I figure, the divorce was nobody's fault. Charles must have regarded his marriage as arranged -- the onerous restrictions on whom he could marry eliminated virtually everyone. Under that definition, extracurricular relationships would not be shocking, and the case could be made that they were not even improper. Diana, on the other hand, clearly saw it as a modern love match. I could be wrong, of course, but I think they were just operating on completely different wavelengths, never the twain should meet, etc. etc. Unfortunate, but there it is.

I'm very happy for both Charles and Camilla. They're grown-ups, they've comported themselves impeccably, and they are obviously devoted to each other. Why on earth shouldn't they get married if they want to? I'll bet that 30 years from now no one will see what the fuss was all about.

Polfoto 21-02-2005 Britain's Prince Charles arrives at the Royal College of Physicians before making a speech on the Healing Environment in central London Monday Feb. 21, 2005.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 165
LONDON - FEBRUARY 21: HRH Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles are seen as they meet a North Pole expedition team at Clarence House on February 21, 2005 in London. (Photo by Tim Graham/Getty Images)

There are more pics at Getty from this.

Attachments

• 52225651.jpg
    52225651.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 52225653.jpg
    52225653.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 52225650.jpg
    52225650.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 52225487.jpg
    52225487.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 52225399.jpg
    52225399.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 52225349.jpg
    52225349.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 52225314.jpg
    52225314.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 52225405.jpg
    52225405.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 245
LONDON - FEBRUARY 23: (NO UK SALES FOR 28 DAYS) HRH Prince Charles attends a pre-tour reception ahead of Charles' tour of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji, at Clarence House February 23, 2005 in London, England. The tour kicks off on February 28 in Sri Lanka and finishes March 11. (Tim Graham Picture Library/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 192
some more photos for Prince Charles from gettyimages and one of Camilla from Polfoto

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 152
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 174
camilla was on the news yesterday and I noticed that she probably has lost weight, her face looked thinner and that might be stressrelated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom