The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
And I think that Camilla was indirectly responsible for Diana's death-marital and physical.
One can make an argument for Camilla being directly and indirectly responsible for Diana's marriage ending, her insecurity about her relationship with Charles and her general unhappiness and insecurity. But Camilla being responsible -- even indirectly -- for Diana's death is false and inaccurate. Camilla was not one the one driving the car through that Parisian tunnel nor was she among the many paparazzi chasing Diana and Dodi al Fayed on that fateful night.

Even while Diana was alive Camilla didn't do anything directly to Diana. Camilla may have done things with Charles, such as having an affair with him or accepting his invitation to his and Diana's wedding, but ultimately it was always Charles who directly made decisions and choices that hurt Diana.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Nobility

Up front, let me say that I loved Diana's style, and got into royal-watching because of her.

Having said that, I think all the interviews, books and tapes which have been released since her death, show me Diana was less stable than I thought. It wasn't just a case of she was unhappy and had affairs because Charles was cold to her and was having an affair with Camilla. And that therefore everything was Charles and Camilla's fault.

The most disturbing revelation to me from the tapes with the voice coach Settelen was that (1) she had an affair apparently first, with hew bodyguard Barry Manakee in 1984-85, (2) everyone knew about it, including Charles, and (3) Diana wanted to leave her 2 baby boys and Charles for Manakee!

I also found the revelation that Daina pushed Raine Spencer down the stairs and it gave Diana "great satisfaction" troubling.

I know I should be above listening to stories about people who have passed away. But I found the Settelen tapes interesting not only for their content and the calm sometimes happy way Diana revealed bad acts by herself, but also for the whole atmosphere of the taping session where Settelen is giving her positive reinforcement for doing and saying hurtful things. It makes me wonder if she was surrounded by sycophants who never told her the truth or the consequences of her actions; e.g., no you can't push people down the stairs because they make you mad. I guess the people who told her the truth are the ones who got cut out of her life.

Old 12-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Royal Highness

All actions have consequences. The fact that she took advantage of an ingènue (in the early years) like Diana and butted in their marriage had consequences. Although Diana was not perfect, she did do the right thing by confronting Camilla and asking her to leave Charles alone, but C did not. And of course Charles had a bigger part, but don't you think he is a bit gullible and Camilla manipulated that even more? I think she indirectly caused her death physically, but she directly caused the death of the marriage. And anyway if Charles just wanted a mistress in the 1st place then I think it shows that he is in no hurry to marry Camilla. I think it is condescending to Camilla to be termed a mistress. Where is the self-respect...
Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
All actions have consequences. The fact that she took advantage of an ingènue (in the early years) like Diana and butted in their marriage had consequences. Although Diana was not perfect, she did do the right thing by confronting Camilla and asking her to leave Charles alone, but C did not. And of course Charles had a bigger part, but don't you think he is a bit gullible and Camilla manipulated that even more? I think she indirectly caused her death physically, but she directly caused the death of the marriage. And anyway if Charles just wanted a mistress in the 1st place then I think it shows that he is in no hurry to marry Camilla. I think it is condescending to Camilla to be termed a mistress. Where is the self-respect...
You're right, all actions have consequences. According to the latest revelations, Diana comitted adultery first, so she started the process of destroying her own marriage either first or at the same time as Charles. The blame can be equally shared as far as I'm concerned.

As for Diana's physical well-being, you can't seriously suggest that Camilla would be responsible for Diana's physical well-being or death.

For exemple, early in the marriage, when Diana had a bout of bullemia and anoriexia, Charles volunteered to provide her with psychiatric care, but Diana refused. Btw bullemia and anorexia is a "self-image-perception" illness and it just can't be forced on someone. So we can't blame Charles nor Camilla for this illness although we can most certainly blame them for lack of emotional support. You might say that Diana was probably doing a tremendous amount of harm to her own health at the time.

As for Camilla being directly responsible for Diana's physical death, I believe Alexandria has already satisfactorily answered that question.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles and Constantine are cousins through Prince Philip?
Prince Philip's father and King Constantine's grandfather were brothers.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Royal Highness

I am looking at a baby names book (not that I am having a baby, but I am at work-a library-and have nothing else to do). well anyway camilla is described as a young attendant..adn for an example it cites Camilla Parker Bowles as Prince Charles's lady friend...who indirectly caused Diana's (meaning: Roman goddess of the hunt's) death:p
Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am looking at a baby names book (not that I am having a baby, but I am at work-a library-and have nothing else to do). well anyway camilla is described as a young attendant..adn for an example it cites Camilla Parker Bowles as Prince Charles's lady friend...who indirectly caused Diana's (meaning: Roman goddess of the hunt's) death:p
Charles, Diana and Camilla are to blame for the breakup of the marriage. Charles and Camilla for carrying on with each other; Diana for carrying on with everyone else. All three should be publicly whipped for their shameful behavior.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
This doesn't even make sense.
In classical mythology Diana was not a Roman goddess but a GREEK godess of the hunt who was known to be a fervent hunter as well as someone who was always hunted.
I think you're making this up to prove your point because some other people don't agree with you.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The BOOK referred to Mrs Parker Bowles as indirectly causing Diana's death, or was that your addition? I should think a publisher would be rather wary of a lawsuit if it put something like that in print.

What's the ISBN of this book?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Royal Highness

What are you talking about...no the book had nothing to do with my theory. Is was simply a baby name book. I was looking at it and came across Camilla's name. Chill...
Anyway I just pput the meaning of Diana's name in there just in case someone wondered. But the Greek name for the goddess of the hunt is Artemis, the Roman name is Diana.
ok...does that clear it up?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What baby book is that? Because if it is real, it could be considered libel.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
What are you talking about...no the book had nothing to do with my theory. Is was simply a baby name book. I was looking at it and came across Camilla's name. Chill...
This is what you said in your post: "well anyway camilla is described as a young attendant..adn for an example it cites Camilla Parker Bowles as Prince Charles's lady friend...who indirectly caused Diana's (meaning: Roman goddess of the hunt's) death:p" If the book didn't cite Camilla as Prince Charles's lady friend who indirectly caused Diana's death, it wasn't clear from that post. Thank you for confirming that the book didn't in fact say that.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

There are not many in Charles & Camilla's circle (or the rest of the world) who would do this. Visiting a hospice or childrens ward at a hospital only takes a little of your time & not much effort. Having a group of children into your home and entertaining them like this takes a lot.
We should all learn a lesson from Camilla & Charles this Christmas and really make an effort.

Charles and Camilla Hold Tea Party for Cancer Kids

By Laura Elston, PA Deputy Court Correspondent

The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles joined a Christmas tea party at Clarence House today for youngsters battling with cancer.

Eight children, who are being treated at Llandough Hospital in Cardiff, south Wales, helped decorate a 7ft Norway spruce tree inside the royal home.

Three-year-old Ben Gaylard, from Newport, managed to place some of the red and gold baubles on the higher branches after being lifted up by a Welsh Guardsman in bearskin and red tunic who attended the festive celebrations.

Ben, who has a rare form of leukaemia, was decked out in a shirt and tie for the special day.

His dad Paul said of Camilla: “She said he looked very smart and wanted to know who picked the tie.”

The Prince helped some of the children prepare the tree by hooking decorations on a silver sword belonging to a soldier from the Queen’s Dragoon Guards and reaching high into the branches.

A spread of Smarties, gingerbread men, Jelly Tots and sandwiches with the crusts cut off was prepared for the special guests.

The Prince also handed out Duchy Originals goodie bags containing his own Christmas pudding and fudge.

Jacob Mills, eight, told Charles while tucking into Jelly Tots that he always saved the blackcurrant ones until last, showing him those he had carefully put aside.

Camilla, in a green velvet coat-dress, joked: “I’m already stealing Smarties” as she collected a tube to pass to one of the children.

Callum Dibben, six, from Tonypandy, who is in remission after suffering a brain tumour, continued to munch on his ham sandwich and gingerbread man while the Prince crouched down to talk to him.

“He’s been really looking forward to this. He told the Prince that gingerbread men were his favourite,” his mother Julie said. “He’s pretty hungry.”

Mrs Dibben, who today celebrated her 25th wedding anniversary, added: “It means a lot to the children to come here today.”
Old 12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Serene Highness

Polfoto 09-12-2004 Britain's Prince Charles, left, shakes hands with the Crown Prince of Bahrain Shaikh Salman bin Hamad in St.James Palace, London, Thursday Dec.9, 2004. The two Princes met for a brief round of talks.(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	63072   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	63073  
Old 12-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
This is what you said in your post: "well anyway camilla is described as a young attendant..adn for an example it cites Camilla Parker Bowles as Prince Charles's lady friend...who indirectly caused Diana's (meaning: Roman goddess of the hunt's) death:p" If the book didn't cite Camilla as Prince Charles's lady friend who indirectly caused Diana's death, it wasn't clear from that post. Thank you for confirming that the book didn't in fact say that.
ok here is what the book said (paraphrase): Camilla Parker Bowles is Prince Charles's lady friend. That is what it said, I added the other thing. NOW I KNOW HOW THINGS SAID CAN BE MISINTERPRETED BY THE PRESS!!!. I am not saying you did cuz it was a clear misunderstanding-my bad for not being clear. But doesn't this make you think of how the press can easily turn things said around if one is not clear in what she says!!! These is definitely a lesson learned on my part.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

No problem, Reina. These misunderstandings do happen - particularly since TRF has a lot of members whose first language isn't English.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
A spread of Smarties, gingerbread men, Jelly Tots and sandwiches with the crusts cut off was prepared for the special guests.
And here's me thinking that Prince Charles was into health food! Oh well...

BTW, for the Americans and other non-Brits here, Smarties are sort of like M&Ms.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

We all know what Smarties are ;D Or at least the song, "when you eat your Smarties, do you eat the red ones last?"

Quote:

BTW, for the Americans and other non-Brits here, Smarties are sort of like M&Ms.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Oh, for heavens sake! The poor man can't do anything right in the eyes of the public. I'm sure the gingerbread was all natural and the sandwiches on brown bread!

Tags
camilla, camilla parker-bowles, prince charles, prince of wales