The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin+Jun 13th, 2004 - 9:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tiaraprin @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 9:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-angela@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
If they do marry it would show the contempt with which Charles holds his future subjects in. He should do the decent thing and give up the throne. Like Edward VIII he should realise that he can have the throne or Camilla but he can&#39;t have both.
Bravo and Kudos to you Angela&#33;&#33; :flower:

Not only to his subjects does he show contempt, but to his own sons&#33; Everyone bahses Diana for the mistakes she made in the Andrew Morton book and being unfaithful, but Charles started it all when he needed an innocent, virginal mouse to marry so he could carry on with Camilla&#33;&#33;&#33;

Boy did he and Camilla get that one wrong&#33;&#33; Bravo Diana&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
that nice, posts tiaraprin

but i disagree&#33;

Sara Boyce

Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by sara1981+Jun 13th, 2004 - 11:31 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sara1981 @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 11:31 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 13th, 2004 - 9:50 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-angela
Quote:
@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
If they do marry it would show the contempt with which Charles holds his future subjects in. He should do the decent thing and give up the throne. Like Edward VIII he should realise that he can have the throne or Camilla but he can&#39;t have both.

Bravo and Kudos to you Angela&#33;&#33; :flower:

Not only to his subjects does he show contempt, but to his own sons&#33; Everyone bahses Diana for the mistakes she made in the Andrew Morton book and being unfaithful, but Charles started it all when he needed an innocent, virginal mouse to marry so he could carry on with Camilla&#33;&#33;&#33;

Boy did he and Camilla get that one wrong&#33;&#33; Bravo Diana&#33;&#33;&#33;
that nice, posts tiaraprin

but i disagree&#33;

Sara Boyce [/b][/quote]
That is your choice Sara, there is nothing I can do to change your mind, and there is nothing you can do to change mine.

Agree to disagree&#33;

Old 06-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by angela@Jun 13th, 2004 - 5:02 pm
Well, but it seems that he can. It doesn&#39;t look as if the church or the government is going to create any obstacles to his becoming king with her as either his mistress or his wife. And considering that he&#39;s a lot older than Edward VIII and has a popular heir, people will probably be less inclined to be passionate about it one way or the other, because he&#39;ll be seen simply as a place-holder.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Royal Highness

could very well be Elspeth.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
The public was not in favor of the abdication of Edward VIII they wanted him to remain king even with Wallis as wife. It was the establishment and the church that bucked him not his people. He was actually very, very popular before his exile. He was the Diana of his day.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Aristocracy

Edward VIII wasn&#39;t any Diana of his day any more than she was the Ed.VIII of her day or QM of her day and so forth. Different people are popular for different reasons. Ed.VIII went on to make enormous blunders by doing things like visiting Hitler, something many people including those in my family never forgave him for.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:50 AM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
They were popular for the same reasons, Julian. That is why I said he was the Diana of his day. He had a common touch didn&#39;t wear his gloves and generally was well adorded for very nearly the same reason Diana was.

No doubt he made mistakes but that does not alter the fact that the public did not support his abdication.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy

LM,

So what? No one cares about your recitals about who was popular or not because everyone knows those common facts and everyone already has their minds made up about these personalities.

It changes nothing, nor were they popular in the "same way" so he was certainly not at all the "diana of his day".

Also, FYI, SMITH has stated that he won&#39;t take monetary bribes from Charles intermediaries/partisans/friends in the press and that he sticks by his story about what he saw Charles up to. Sooooo....looks like if Fergie had an AIDS test and Andrew did too then Camshaft should certainly get one. If it&#39;s not too late that is. :P Meanwhile, you&#39;ll just have to stay angry about their possible STD&#39;s. it.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian@Jun 14th, 2004 - 3:45 am
Edward VIII wasn&#39;t any Diana of his day any more than she was the Ed.VIII of her day or QM of her day and so forth. Different people are popular for different reasons. Ed.VIII went on to make enormous blunders by doing things like visiting Hitler, something many people including those in my family never forgave him for.
Speaking as a woman of German descent, I was appalled by the Duke and Duchess visiting Hitler. They were trying to upstage George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and also thought Hitler was some sort of "saviour" for Germany.

When some people have found out that I am of German descent, they say I am a Nazi. Nothing could be further from the truth&#33;&#33; My German Grandfather fought for the USA, landed on Normandy Beach and helped liberate Auschwitz&#33;&#33;&#33;

God bless my Grandfather and may his soul be at peace&#33;&#33;
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

I like to know what they are thinking when they have to shake hands with camilla and smile at and with her, all teeth and friendly? And later when if charles and camilla got married and they have to coursey to her? And think about the scenario, someone refuses to make a coursey in public, boy, the possibility is endless.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by lori@Jun 14th, 2004 - 11:46 pm
I like to know what they are thinking when they have to shake hands with camilla and smile at and with her, all teeth and friendly? And later when if charles and camilla got married and they have to coursey to her? And think about the scenario, someone refuses to make a coursey in public, boy, the possibility is endless.
You are too funny Lori&#33;&#33;&#33; :flower:

If I were a British Citizen, I wouldn&#39;t curtsy to her for any amount of money--or him either&#33;&#33; :P
Old 06-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Speaking as a woman of German descent, I was appalled by the Duke and Duchess visiting Hitler. They were trying to upstage George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and also thought Hitler was some sort of "saviour" for Germany.
Unfortunately the opinion of Hitler&#39;s regime in pre-war Britain, at least among the ruling classes, wasn&#39;t as negative as history paints it. Neville Chamberlain was very popular with his policies to try and get peace at just about any cost, since the upper classes had been so badly affected by the first world war and its aftermath. It&#39;s easy to forget, seeing all the post-war photos of the royal family and Churchill, how much the King didn&#39;t trust Churchill early on.

Also, while I agree that the Duke was being short-sighted and childish by grabbing any opportunity to visit a country where the leaders would treat the Duchess with respect, the way he (and particularly she) were treated time and again and again by the royal family and the senior household was almost bound to provoke a reaction. They seemed to think that if they treated him as if he didn&#39;t exist, he would stop existing. Even for royalty, things aren&#39;t like that these days.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If I were a British Citizen, I wouldn&#39;t curtsy to her for any amount of money--or him either&#33;&#33;
Well, I am a British citizen, and I wouldn&#39;t want to curtsey to Prince Charles. Somehow, for all his good intentions, he seems to have a problem with behaving in a way that encourages long-term respect. I was a bit surprised at my reaction when I was watching the Queen Mother&#39;s funeral (or possibly the Jubilee celebrations) and the commentator said something about how Charles would be taking on more and more of the royal duties and responsibilities now the Queen was getting on in years - my instinctive reaction was "oh, no&#33;" Actually surprised myself a bit.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 15th, 2004 - 1:21 am
It&#39;s easy to forget, seeing all the post-war photos of the royal family and Churchill, how much the King didn&#39;t trust Churchill early on.

And for very good reasons. Winston Churchill was one of the worst politicians that Britain had at the time.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:30 am
Quote:
If I were a British Citizen, I wouldn&#39;t curtsy to her for any amount of money--or him either&#33;&#33;
Well, I am a British citizen, and I wouldn&#39;t want to curtsey to Prince Charles. Somehow, for all his good intentions, he seems to have a problem with behaving in a way that encourages long-term respect. I was a bit surprised at my reaction when I was watching the Queen Mother&#39;s funeral (or possibly the Jubilee celebrations) and the commentator said something about how Charles would be taking on more and more of the royal duties and responsibilities now the Queen was getting on in years - my instinctive reaction was "oh, no&#33;" Actually surprised myself a bit.
I can understand your feeling--Although I am an American, my heart sank too&#33;&#33;

Recently in the USA on "Larry King Live" they discussed Charles and Camilla&#39;s relationship and if they were going to marry, whether Camilla was ill etc.

All were in agreement that Camilla is not suffering from a terminal illness. They are split on whether they will marry. One said Camilla doesn&#39;t want to, she likes being in the shadow. Another pointed out what title would she get because the British people won&#39;t want her as Princess of Wales and Queen. Another said they would to regularize hers and Charles&#39; position before he acceeds the throne--perhaps a morganatic marriage by parliamentary decree.

God help the British Monarchy whatever happens&#33;&#33;
Old 06-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin+Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:38 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tiaraprin @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:38 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Elspeth@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:30 am
Quote:
I can understand your feeling--Although I am an American, my heart sank too&#33;&#33;

Recently in the USA on "Larry King Live" they discussed Charles and Camilla&#39;s relationship and if they were going to marry, whether Camilla was ill etc.

All were in agreement that Camilla is not suffering from a terminal illness. They are split on whether they will marry. One said Camilla doesn&#39;t want to, she likes being in the shadow. Another pointed out what title would she get because the British people won&#39;t want her as Princess of Wales and Queen. Another said they would to regularize hers and Charles&#39; position before he acceeds the throne--perhaps a morganatic marriage by parliamentary decree.

God help the British Monarchy whatever happens&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
i&#39;m also a british citizen....i wouldn&#39;t want Camilla to become Princess of Wales and Queen of England....NEVER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

would feel very very sad if she becomes queen or princess..... :(
Old 06-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by bigheadshirmp+Jun 18th, 2004 - 2:53 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigheadshirmp @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 2:53 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:38 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Elspeth
Quote:
@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:30 am
Quote:

God help the British Monarchy whatever happens&#33;&#33;
i&#39;m also a british citizen....i wouldn&#39;t want Camilla to become Princess of Wales and Queen of England....NEVER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

would feel very very sad if she becomes queen or princess..... :( [/b][/quote]
i agree it&#33; because Diana is dead&#33;

Camilla cant become Queen nor becoming Princess of Wales for 300 years without HM Queen&#39;s permission&#33; till she dies&#33;

Sara Boyce
Old 06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

The Prince of Wales and his partner, Camilla Parker-Bowles, outside the Merchant&#39;s House in Marlborough in Wiltshire 18 June 2004 where she showed the Prince two &#39;Bobby Vans,&#39; a crime prevention scheme of which she is a trustee.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

... more pictures from the same event

Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Serene Highness

hmm a little bit of cleavage there&#33; but a very stylish suit, for her.

Tags
camilla, camilla parker-bowles, prince charles, prince of wales