The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

Unfortunately, this donkey is the first in the line of succession. Poor english.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Majesty

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	33475   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	33476  

Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

IBL - Hereford, Britain. 7 January 2004. Prince Charles at the Haven Trust. The first public appearance since the Diana letter scandal and the inquiry into the death of Diana was opened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charles_1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	34516   Click image for larger version

Name:	charles_2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	34517  
Old 01-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Nobility

Britain's Prince Charles visits the Hereford Have breast cancer center in Hereford, western England, January 7, 2004. The Prince's former wife, Princess Diana, was front page news again on January 6 as the opening of the British inquest into her death in a 1997 Paris car crash coincided with a British tabloid newspaper naming Charles as the person she suspected of plotting to kill her. REUTERS/POOL/Barry Batchelor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	char.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	34584  
Old 01-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Nobility

Charles really looks almost as old as his mother in that photograph..
Old 01-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by paulette@Dec 13th, 2003 - 10:44 am
It is nice to know that both the Prince of Wales and Camilla are working hard for the benefit of others ...

I know that those kids prefer the late Princess of Wales, Diana. There was something with Diana that Camilla can never assume. Maybe she can follow up her steps but in a different way because what Diana have done was already printed in the hearts of people globally. She can follow her steps but she can never be the late Princess Diana. She has to be unique in whatever she does. And if Camilla wants their relationship to be fully approved by Britons then it's not an easy step. Extra effort and determination is what she needs accompanied with compassion. :)
Paulette ~ I realize you're trying to believe in the future of "Camilla and Charles" and that you have a tender heart ... so, my heart must be made of stone. I have no compassion for that woman ~ nor will I try to "summon up some". All I remember was a 19 year - old sweet girl who loved her husband very much, at the alter and after, and he took that love for his wife and eventually tossed it aside for a woman, he thinks, understands him like a "mother" does. Maybe someday I'll find a term other than "compassion" for Camilla ~ but, for right now, I feel she does not deserve "my" compassion at all. Charles and Camilla are living together, out in the open, without the sanctity of marriage ~ and working together, (if one truly believes in this "co-workmanship" in order to derive "positivity" for the public, also without the sanctity of marriage.) Just call me "old fashioned" but how long is this going to go on.

I'm sorry ~ but, I don't buy it. Camilla isn't even in the same league as Diana, I'm afraid Camilla's "footprints" are made in "sand" whereas Diana's was made in "granite. However, we all have the right to express our opinions. You expressed yours ~ and, I expressed mine. (Secretly, I try to stay away from the "British Royal Family Subject" that LRT provides, where it concerns "Charles and Camilla", because "that pairing" makes me angry because of the "ultimate harm" it caused for many individuals, including William and Harry. Both Charles and Camilla persued unforgivable paths, both to Camilla's husband and, of course to Diana. (Yes, I have heard Andrew Parker-Bowles had already been unfaithful to Camilla ~ in many ways, including Diana, but do "two wrongs don't make it right". )
Old 01-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Binny@Jan 8th, 2004 - 4:11 am
The Prince's former wife, Princess Diana, was front page news again on January 6 as the opening of the British inquest into her death in a 1997 Paris car crash coincided with a British tabloid newspaper naming Charles as the person she suspected of plotting to kill her. REUTERS/POOL/Barry Batchelor
Good !! Good for Diana's memory!! Yes, he's starting to look old ~ The "worry lines" on his face come quite honestly. I never dreamed that the British monarchy, who I used to respect, and the land of some of my ancestors, would be dragged in the mud by the activities and volition of the Prince of Wales.

Elizajane
Old 01-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

1.Polfoto 09-01-2004 The Prince of Wales in Sunderland during his visit to the North East, today January 09 2004, on his second round of public appearances within three days. Later Charles was visiting St Oswald's Hospice in the Gosforth area of Newcastle to meet staff and patients.

2.Polfoto 09-01-2004 The Prince of Wales stood with Mick Henry, Leader of Gateshead Council, views the Riverside at Gateshead and Newcastle across the River Tyne with the landmark Tyne Bridge behind him during his visit to the North East, today January 09 2004, on his second round of public appearances within three days. Later Charles was visiting St Oswald's Hospice in the Gosforth area of Newcastle to meet staff and patients.

3.Polfoto 09-01-2004 The Prince of Wales visits the St Oswalds Hospice in Gosforth, Newcastle Friday January 9, 2004, during a visit to the North east.

4.IBL - 9 January 2004 - Prince Charles visiting steam museum at old Ryhope Pumping Station, Sunderland, Britain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ch099649_guest.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	35207   Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	35208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch099654_guest.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	35209   Click image for larger version

Name:	charles.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	35656  

Old 01-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
So it's not technically "news" but I thought this was a good opinion piece in the Toronto Star:

He could have cancelled, but the thing with royals is that they don't.

Which meant that on the very day last week that newspaper headlines were shrieking that his former wife believed he plotted to kill her — and Scotland Yard was to investigate that supposition along with umpteen other conspiracy theories — Charles, Prince of Wales, had no option but to carry on with the job.

It was off to rural Hereford and the opening of a breast cancer support centre. More than 100 people turned up to get a good gawp at the man who is starting to resemble a royal version of the biblical Job.

"Keep your chin up, Charles," shouted one well-wisher. "The country is behind you," hollered another. But more than a few stood in censorious silence. As one woman, a self-described "life-long Diana fan," blithely told a reporter, "I came here because I wanted to see what the dirty rat looks like in real life."

As one bizarre scandal follows another, Charles, at 55, must be wondering if things can get any worse?

Well, how deep is the ocean?

Being accused of murder by your ex-wife must surely be the nadir.

Then again, the accusation, in October, that Charles had had a homosexual liaison and/or encounter with his former valet must have looked that way too.

Diana, dead more than six years, had a ghostly hand in that revelation as well, via her Earthly agent and former butler, Paul Burrell.

Back in 1996, the same busy year in which she was divorced and wrote a note — or letter or musing diary entry — saying she feared "my husband is planning `an accident'" to smooth the way to his remarrying, Diana also found time to tape a conversation with a troubled former footman named George Smith.

In it, Smith alleged not only that he had been raped by Charles' valet, but that he had witnessed the two of them in a "compromising position."

It was this tape that police were searching for when they raided Burrell's home back in 2002. They found, not it, but some 300 other items belonging to Diana, including the death note, that the ever-solicitous Burrell had taken for "safekeeping." (Or, for reference when he wrote the inevitable book, which he did last year.)

Nobody knows where the tape has got to. But, no matter, damage was done.

The world's media were given the go-ahead to stop obliquely referring to the valet and "an anonymous senior royal" when Charles' private secretary Sir Michael Peat took it upon himself to name the prince as the royal in question.

Peat did so, he said, only because the allegation was "risible."

As, indeed, it was. But the story gave fuel to those who think Charles' treatment of Diana was so loathsome that it might have included not only a long, adulterous affair with "the rottweiler," Camilla Parker Bowles, but also the occasional fling with male staff.

Last week, predictably, those same true believers were equally open to the fantastical idea that Diana had a premonition of the car crash that would kill her at age 36, and that her husband would be involved in it.

And even if Charles did not assign MI5 or MI6 to rig the car containing her and her iffy boyfriend Dodi Fayed, he still was somehow to blame. He'd been jealous of Diana and unfaithful; she wouldn't have been in Paris with Fayed and his drunk of a chauffeur if he hadn't been.

Those were actual facts, were they not?

No one with faculties even semi-intact, including the frenzied British press, thinks Charles plotted Diana's end so that he could be widower and not a divorced man, thereby getting around the sticky wicket of Church of England royal remarriage rules. Or, more preposterously, because he didn't want her to wed the Muslim Fayed.

But as the Daily Mail ruminated last week: "The danger is that even if most people accept his innocence — which is by no means certain — he will still be identified as someone who, in some unspecific way, contributed to her demise by his boorish behaviour and his long affair with Camilla.

"Could this unhappy, unpopular man ever be king?"

That sort of talk hasn't been heard since the hysterical aftermath of Diana's death in 1997. Charles was widely castigated as the villain of the soured marital fairy tale, though the ice-cold Windsors were included en masse in the fault-finding: They had all been bloody to her but he, in particular, and he didn't deserve to inherit the throne.

In the years since, the prince has worked steadily to recover his reputation as a decent man who wants only to do the right thing, by his lights.

And once the British press finally turned the page, it aided in his redemption.

Though Diana's more effusive parenting style always grabbed the spotlight, it became clear in time that Charles is also a good and sensitive parent. He is obviously adored by his sons, and the papers finally started to say so.

When the effervescent younger son, Harry, started skittering off the rails, drinking to excess and experimenting with soft drugs, Charles zapped him into a treatment centre for a day to see what could happen at the end of that particular path.

The press approved.

It also liked the way that Charles didn't present Camilla as a fait accompli in his public life. The pair, on-and-off lovers for three decades now, wisely took a softly-softly approach.

Only in the past year, did Camilla begin to accompany Charles on occasional royal engagements, staying in the background, but "with" him nonetheless, receiving a bouquet from the designated child in the crowd.

She was there beside him this fall at the Braemar Highland Games, a generally rain-soaked, annual event that Diana took elaborate pains to avoid.

After the Queen Mother died in 2002, they moved together into her former home, Clarence House, just down from Buckingham Palace. Nobody picketed. No "life-long Diana fans" were heard booing at the gates.

By last year, the majority of Britons may still have balked at the notion of Queen Camilla, but few objected to the prince marrying her. And, by all accounts, Camilla doesn't even want to be Queen and would settle for being a morganatic wife, with a title of some sort, but not, thanks awfully, the consort's crown.

Whether that chimed with Charles' views is unknown. And, with the latest calamity to swat him on the head, it may remain so.

"It is very clear he is suffering a great deal," Harold Brooks-Baker, director of publisher Burke's Peerage, said last week. "He can't get on with his personal life. He could hardly announce tomorrow that he will marry Camilla, and everyone accepted that it would be announced this winter."

That's highly unlikely now. With the inquest into Diana's death adjourned for at least a year to give police time to examine the conspiracy theories, her own included, it's unlikely to happen for a very long time. If ever.

It has been reported that Charles will have to meet at some stage this year with Sir John Stevens, the London Police Commissioner who will head the investigation.

The heir to the throne being questioned on possible involvement in the murder of his wife?

Yes, things could get worse.

It's a very deep ocean"
Old 01-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Royal Highness

Charles has aged tremendously he looks like a 70 year old.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Gentry

All 3 of the the Queen's sons seemed to have had a 'rapid' aging in the last few years.
There are pictures where I find it hard to recognize them.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

07/16/2002. Prince Charles during a day in Northamptonshire visits the National trusts Lyveden new bield.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EN.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	36223  
Old 01-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Majesty

06/17/2002. The Garter Ceremony at Windsor castle for the Queen's Jubilee.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	747480_11.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	36327  
Old 01-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Majesty

The Prince of Wales plants a apple tree at South Airmyn Grange farm on January 22, 2004 at Goole in East Yorkshire. A red carpet was laid in the orchard so the Prince, could walk from the house where he had been meeting Young Farmers to plant the tree. The Prince is on a two-day tour of East Yorkshire And Northern Lincolnshire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2891637.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	36674  
Old 01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Courtier

what's up with the red carpet? isn't that a bit much for a tree planting?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Majesty

The carpet was laid in the orchard so the Prince, could walk from the house where he had been meeting Young Farmers to plant the tree.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Courtier

that's just kinda funny.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

YORKSHIRE FARMER GIVES CHARLES RED CARPET TREATMENT

A keen fan of both gardening and agriculture, Prince Charles is not afraid of walking through a muddy field. The future king must have been a little surprised, therefore, when he was met with a red carpet during his visit to a farm in East Yorkshire on Thursday.

His host, 27-year-old Peter Chantry, had been a little concerned about the mucky conditions, so he found some old stair carpeting and laid it across his orchard in preparation for the visit. It wouldn't compare to those to be found at Clarence House, but Charles wasn't about to snub the gesture, and he gamely ventured out into the rain and planted a tree in Mr Chantry's orchard.

"When I woke up this morning and saw it was raining, I thought about Prince Charles and all the other people coming to the farm," revealed Peter. "It was getting quite muddy and it was all we could find. I was most concerned that the Prince should not get his feet wet when he walked out there."

The Prince of Wales made the visit in his capacity as President of the National Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	charles_dop1a.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	36716  
Old 01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Majesty

The Prince of Wales during his visit to Coldwater Seafood UK in Grimsby, Friday January 23, 2004, where he is to discuss the environmental, social and economic consequences of overfishing. After seeing the fish factory, his final visit of the two-day tour will be to Lincolnshire Organics at Holme, near Scunthorpe.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Majesty

I heard just yesterday that the investigators are thinking of having him testify so the idea is in the air.

Tags
camilla, camilla parker-bowles, prince charles, prince of wales