The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew's 4000pound flight to the Alps lands him in hot soup
Prince Andrew taking the piste

Prince Andrew landed in trouble last night after taking a private jet to go skiing on his way home from a conference on GLOBAL WARMING.

The Royal — dubbed Air Miles Andy for his extravagant travel — blew £4,000 of taxpayers’ cash flying to the Swiss Alps on Tuesday.
Andrew, 46, spent the morning discussing the environment at the Ritz Hotel in Madrid, Spain.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

This is a bit over the top (as much as I adore Andrew). I can see the headlines now, "Arrogant Andy". After a conference on the environment he really made a poor choice. I know that he performs a lot of royal engagements, but this was on taxpayer expense. The Sun had a post from someone who made the comment that there were thousands of college students in debt because university is no longer free in England (its never been free in the US--I should've been British) and that his four thousand pound flight would pay a for a full year of schooling. Other posts commented that he's a minor royal now and that there is no need to continue funding his lifestyle. Sounds like there are some in Britain who don't care for Andrew's lifestyle and want his finances cut off!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Nobility

I know the palace said everything was o.k nothing wrong with him taking the flight but why didn't he pay for it himself he has money. Maybe he should pay for the personal part to verbier.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Aristocracy

Unless there was some relevant and pressing reason for him do so and I wouldn't think skiing would fall into this category, this is exactly the type of extravagance no longer accepted from members of the royal family (with the possible exception of the Queen).

I think Andrew rightly deserves to be criticized here and I hope he notes it. Somehow, though, I think Andrew is still living in bygone days where he thinks by being royal, he is above criticism. He is mistaken.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareenah
I think Andrew rightly deserves to be criticized here and I hope he notes it. Somehow, though, I think Andrew is still living in bygone days where he thinks by being royal, he is above criticism. He is mistaken.
A disgraceful waste of UK taxpayers money, again, by Andrew. He lives rent free, all of his utility bills are paid for him, he gets a clothing allowance for duties performed overseas. He really is arrogant and I hope that when Charles becomes King, Andrew will forced to live, partially, in the real world and pay his own way!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Royal Highness

Skydragon, as you live in Britain, I hold your opinion in high regard because you have an insider's sight that I, in the great state of Virginia, do not. When the Queen passes away, will Andrew then be considered a minor royal, such as the Kents are? I was also on the "Royals and their finances page" and there was discussion about how the Civil List refers to the cost of the royal to have an office staff. Is the Civil List something taxpayers pay? Apparently,
Andrew has a large staff--some of who "supposedly-it was said on the forum" work for the Duchess still. Is there any truth in that? Sorry to ask so many questions. I had always thought the best of Andrew, but now, I'm reading where he is really quite extravagent!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Skydragon, as you live in Britain, I hold your opinion in high regard because you have an insider's sight that I, in the great state of Virginia, do not. When the Queen passes away, will Andrew then be considered a minor royal, such as the Kents are?
I can't speak for all Brits! I do think, once William and Harry marry and have children, Andrew will be considered far less important and will slip into the minor royal role, much as the Kents have done. It might surprise you to learn that a lot of youngsters have no idea that Michael and Edward are the grandsons of a King!
There is no civil list now, but Andrew is paid for his employment by the state (£355.992 per annum) and gets an allowance (£249,000 per annum) from the Queen. All of his household expenses are met from the money the taxpayers 'contribute' to the running of the royal households and presumably for his office staff.
Andrew seems to ignore the furore that his extra perks cause, A lot of people still haven't forgotten his trip to Edinburgh, that just happened to be 'tied in' with a game of golf!

all amounts are approximate.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you, Skydragon--but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little lost--what trip to Edinburgh?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Courtier

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Thank you, Skydragon--but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little lost--what trip to Edinburgh?
Here are two article's from 2004.

Prince Andrew's two golf trips cost taxpayer £7,000

The Guardian profile: Prince Andrew
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Serene Highness

Happy Birthday Prince Andrew!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Aristocracy

Happy Birthday !
Old 02-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Courtier

Happy Birthday!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Nobility

Happy Birthday Prince Andrew!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Courtier

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCE ANDREW!!!
(does anyone know how old he is?)
Old 02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_windsor
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCE ANDREW!!!
(does anyone know how old he is?)
He was born February 19, 1960, so he's 47 today.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Gentry

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Royal Highness

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Nobility

He seems to have a busy schedule he will be in the middle east and new zealand in march.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Prince Andrew has a new Web site

It's a micro site focusing on his role with UK Trade & Investment.

The Duke of York and UKTI > Home

It looks like he's finally got someone doing some PR work for him.

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew