Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 2: May 2006-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday Prince Andrew!!!

He seems to have a busy schedule he will be in the middle east and new zealand in march.

'Airmiles Andy' attempts image overhaul

Prince Andrew has been heavily criticised for exploiting his role as international trade ambassador, criss-crossing the globe to promote British business while taking in the best ski slopes and golf courses.

Independent Online Edition > This Britain

This Sir Digby says Andrew didn't ski so why is he pictured with Sara and Beatrice carrying skis.

He didn't ski at the conference in Davos. He did ski on family holiday with Sarah and Beatrice in Verbier over Valentine's Day.

Skydragon said:
'Airmiles Andy' attempts image overhaul

Prince Andrew has been heavily criticised for exploiting his role as international trade ambassador, criss-crossing the globe to promote British business while taking in the best ski slopes and golf courses.

Independent Online Edition > This Britain

Boy it is really rough being a royal in today's Britain. You can't do anything without somebody calling 'foul'. I think I would have been in trouble long ago with my mouth battering the press and the whole scheme of things for the criticisms against me after dishing so much for Queen and country. But, tsk tsk, we all must behave. I sure would love to be in the room with the gang when they let loose and comment on how the press and other officials come down on them. I think next time I'm invited for a sitdown at Balmoral or Sandringham, I'm going to pay more attention to what is being said than what is being served! :neutral:

I think it started with Sarah and Diana.

Once the press showed the princesses had feet of clay, everyone started knocking the rest--deserved or not.

But where do you draw the line between the subjects' right(s) to know and the Royals' right(s) to privacy? This is the true grapple in every country, whether they have "freedom" of press or not.

HRH Kimetha said:
Boy it is really rough being a royal in today's Britain. You can't do anything without somebody calling 'foul'. :neutral:
The royals took a battering from Diana and her fanbase and are only now really starting to recover. Andrew and Sarah were always seen as extravagant, as was proved by Sarahs debts. People ask 'what does he do', 'what do we get for our money'.

Andrew does abuse his position, using RAF jets and helicopters to basically 'go on jolly's'. Something we would all do, if given the chance I expect. If we were caught misusing the system on a regular basis though, nobody would be surprised if we lost our job.

Years ago the media kept their distance and most people looked up to the royals, now with the excessive 'need' for celebrity figures, it is overkill, where every misuse or error is publicised to death.

Pics 27.02.2007

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, at an economic meeting in Duesseldorf, Germany, Tuesday, 27 February 2007. The Duke of York is invited as UK's special ambassador for trade and industry. The meeting intends to win German companies to increase their participation in British research and development projects. EPA

Andrew 1
Andrew 2

Why if what he does is such a problem isn't he told to stop. The palace said there was nothing wrong with him taking the last flight.

I think all this fuss about Andrew is much ado about nothing.

I can't believe these newspaper editors who print these articles never ever accepted a freebie.

The business world is full of freebies and while companies have passed rules against them, the saavy businessmen know how to get around them and they do, time and time again. The journalistic field is no exception.

ysbel said:
I think all this fuss about Andrew is much ado about nothing.

I can't believe these newspaper editors who print these articles never ever accepted a freebie.

The business world is full of freebies and while companies have passed rules against them, the saavy businessmen know how to get around them and they do, time and time again. The journalistic field is no exception.

I totally agree with this. Look at any CEO or big businessman. There are tons of perks out there for those well-established and well-connected. Not to mention what celebrities get for showing up somewhere. It seems to me that P. Andrew is working alot for his country. So what if someone treats him to a game of golf or a day at a spa or any of the other things that most business people enjoy when traveling/representing their companies. The taxpayers aren't paying for it so why even mention it.

Bella said:
Andrew is working alot for his country. So what if someone treats him to a game of golf or a day at a spa or any of the other things that most business people enjoy when traveling/representing their companies. The taxpayers aren't paying for it so why even mention it.
It is not a case of 'someone' treating him to a game of golf, this is Andrew using the criteria of whether there is something he wants to do in that country, like play golf, that decides if and when he goes. If there is an event he wants to attend, rather than pay for it himself, he 'finds' himself an official reason to get the trip paid for.

The taxpayers are paying for it, everytime he uses the RAF to get from A to B, they pay for it, everytime he arranges a trip to coincide with a game of golf, they pay for it. The UK taxpayers pay all his travel costs. Yes CEO's take advantage, but if they get carried away with cheating their shareholders they can be dismissed!

He makes it that much harder for the truly hardworking royals.

Last edited:
Prince Andrew joins his internet-savvy relations

His 80-year-old mother Queen Elizabeth made her traditional Christmas speech available as a podcast last year and now Prince Andrew has joined the growing list of internet-savvy royals by launching his own website

I wondered about "his own website" but I see although the article does say that, the photo caption correctly reads "his own micro-site on the Royal family's official website".

Skydragon said:
It is not a case of 'someone' treating him to a game of golf, this is Andrew using the criteria of whether there is something he wants to do in that country, like play golf, that decides if and when he goes. If there is an event he wants to attend, rather than pay for it himself, he 'finds' himself an official reason to get the trip paid for.

The taxpayers are paying for it, everytime he uses the RAF to get from A to B, they pay for it, everytime he arranges a trip to coincide with a game of golf, they pay for it. The UK taxpayers pay all his travel costs. Yes CEO's take advantage, but if they get carried away with cheating their shareholders they can be dismissed!

He makes it that much harder for the truly hardworking royals.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I was under the impression he was asked to visit a certain country by either that particular country (or its business interest) or a British business interest. It still seems he works, though. Maybe he's not kissing babies or opening a hospital wing, but it does seem he represents his country on the business side of things. Do you really feel he bases his trips/conferences on whether or not there is a decent golf course in the area?

Bella said:
Oh, I didn't realize that. I was under the impression he was asked to visit a certain country by either that particular country (or its business interest) or a British business interest. It still seems he works, though. Maybe he's not kissing babies or opening a hospital wing, but it does seem he represents his country on the business side of things. Do you really feel he bases his trips/conferences on whether or not there is a decent golf course in the area?
Many of the papers have shown how he ties in his 'work' with an event he wants to go to. Many people have suggested that if there is something he wants to see, (a golf tournament), he will ask around for a 'job' to enable him to go 'officially', therefore getting his travel and accomodation paid for. On some occasions he hasn't even bothered with that deception, but has just used his title to get the RAF to fly him somewhere.
I don't see him as representing UK business anywhere, just using UK businesses and taxpayers to continue his own selfish interests.

Skydragon said:
The royals took a battering from Diana and her fanbase and are only now really starting to recover. Andrew and Sarah were always seen as extravagant, as was proved by Sarahs debts. People ask 'what does he do', 'what do we get for our money'.

Andrew does abuse his position, using RAF jets and helicopters to basically 'go on jolly's'. Something we would all do, if given the chance I expect. If we were caught misusing the system on a regular basis though, nobody would be surprised if we lost our job.

Years ago the media kept their distance and most people looked up to the royals, now with the excessive 'need' for celebrity figures, it is overkill, where every misuse or error is publicised to death.

As always, thanks for your comment Sky. You have great insights on things that others, such as myself, sometimes do not explore.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom