Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 2: May 2006-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admitt I do like the christmas card :) it's something different and it is kind of funny. But the thing is: it was made by Sarah during their family trip to India, so I don't think it's a 100% fun card but one with traditional clothes they wore to show their respect for the country they visited.

Skydragon said:
Those poor girls, first their mother and now their father, they probably feel like running away to the circus, ohh, thats right they don't need to, they have their parents for that! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

This comment is too funny.

I hope some day Beatrice and Eugenie will look back on the photo with fondness. Personally, I think it was a really interesting photo and so Andy, a fun loving person at heart. It does take a brave man to put on that turban, and even braver for letting 500 of nearest and dearest to see it.

He is indeed a brave person to wear the turban and send it as a Xmas card...a great sense of fun.

Stellad

Yes, I agree with Iceflower. The clothes are traditional North Indian wear and are very vibrant. Perhaps a visit to India, will change everybody's opinion.

The jollity on Prince Andrew's face is what makes it look amusing. Did anyone else notice the sunset and sunrise background themes?

Microsoft to hold forum in Scotland

The Duke of York will open a business forum to be hosted by Microsoft mogul Bill Gates in Scotland, it was revealed.
Prince Andrew will open a Microsoft "world leaders' forum" which takes place at the Scottish Parliament on January 30 and 31.

Forest School enjoys a royal visit

STAFF and pupils gave a royal welcome to Prince Andrew when he officially opened a new sports centre.
The Duke of York was greeted by flag-waving pupils, and was then treated to a performance by the school band who performed a composition by sixth form student James Clements.

Thanks, Avalon, for the links and the photos. I think Prince Andrew is looking quite handsome these days. Seems to be pretty busy, too.

Princess BellyFlop said:
Yes, she was married to him but for a few years. If Andrew can forgive her, and he was the injured party, who are we to say otherwise? I'm just a concerned fan of Andrew:ermm: . I wonder if, after the infamous incidents and dishonors brought up on him by his ex-wife, he might not have a self-esteem problem and be afraid he's not worth of any true love. After all, Sarah's father said how much she was more in love with being part of the royal family than with Andrew. And her actions proved it.

I do not believe that Andrew was faithful during their marriage either to be honest. I just think he was better at covering it up.

Sarah made some bad choices when she was married, however, she has gotten herself out of debt on her own, with Andrew has raised two lovely daughters and has a great relationship with her ex husband.

I think people need to get over what happened almost 20 years ago. Obviously Andrew has.

I agree people do need to get over Sarah's past. Everyone of us has made mistakes in life. I think it's wonderful how Sarah and Andrew get along, they seem to have a happy family life. If we can accept Camilla as the Prince of Wales wife and love of his life. Than why can't we accept Prince Andrews and Sarahs relationship?

Some people here will not 'get over it', while ever Sarah want's the perks of married life, without the responsibilities. :rolleyes:

Duke of York meets Microsoft bosses

The Duke of York has met executives from Microsoft ahead of a world conference in the Scottish capital.
Prince Andrew was in Edinburgh on the eve of the two-day Microsoft Government Leaders Forum Europe conference being held at the Scottish Parliament.

Here is a pic of the meeting:
Prince Andrew (right) talks to leaders from Microsoft at the Palace of Holyroodhouse reception Edinburgh, Scotland. Left to right: Ralph Young, Michel Van Der Bel, and Neil Holloway. 29/01/2007

Seems he had a lot of fun as well :)

Andrew

Prince Andrew Bumps Into Shoppers
Duke of York visits President & Taoiseach. And Tesco

Dublin supermarket shoppers got more than they bargained for today when the Duke of York today swept through the store.
Security was tight at Tesco Clare Hall as Prince Andrew was ushered down the aisles.
Around 50 startled shoppers tried to snap pictures of him on mobile phones as Andrew, the UK's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment, visited the Irish capital to highlighted trade links between Ireland and the UK.

Prince Andrew welcomes Irish trade and investment

The Duke of York today welcomed the growing number of Irish companies choosing to invest in and trade with the UK, and underlined the importance of a strong British-Irish commercial relationship to the future prosperity of both countries.
HRH the Duke of York was in Dublin today, in his capacity as the UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment. His Royal Highness called on President McAleese and on the Taoiseach

Pic 8.02.2007

Unfortunately the photographer focussed on Tony Blair, but you can see Andrew nevertheless ;)
Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair (L) and the Duke of York attend an event in north London, 08 February 2007, where it was announced that the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) children's charity has succeeded in its goal of raising GBP250 million for it's 'Full Stop' campaign. AFP PHOTO/Stefan Rousseau/POOL

Andrew and Tony Blair

Pics 13.02.2007

The Duke of York speaks during his visit to the 3GSM congress in Barcelona,13 February 2007. Leading companies in telecommunications, internet and entertainment gathered in Barcelona for one of the world's biggest trade shows for the mobile phone industry. AFP PHOTO/LLUIS GENE

Andrew 1
Andrew 2
Andrew 3

This is a bit over the top (as much as I adore Andrew). I can see the headlines now, "Arrogant Andy". After a conference on the environment he really made a poor choice. I know that he performs a lot of royal engagements, but this was on taxpayer expense. The Sun had a post from someone who made the comment that there were thousands of college students in debt because university is no longer free in England (its never been free in the US--I should've been British) and that his four thousand pound flight would pay a for a full year of schooling. Other posts commented that he's a minor royal now and that there is no need to continue funding his lifestyle. Sounds like there are some in Britain who don't care for Andrew's lifestyle and want his finances cut off!

I know the palace said everything was o.k nothing wrong with him taking the flight but why didn't he pay for it himself he has money. Maybe he should pay for the personal part to verbier.

Last edited:
Unless there was some relevant and pressing reason for him do so and I wouldn't think skiing would fall into this category, this is exactly the type of extravagance no longer accepted from members of the royal family (with the possible exception of the Queen).

I think Andrew rightly deserves to be criticized here and I hope he notes it. Somehow, though, I think Andrew is still living in bygone days where he thinks by being royal, he is above criticism. He is mistaken.

Avareenah said:
I think Andrew rightly deserves to be criticized here and I hope he notes it. Somehow, though, I think Andrew is still living in bygone days where he thinks by being royal, he is above criticism. He is mistaken.
A disgraceful waste of UK taxpayers money, again, by Andrew. He lives rent free, all of his utility bills are paid for him, he gets a clothing allowance for duties performed overseas. He really is arrogant and I hope that when Charles becomes King, Andrew will forced to live, partially, in the real world and pay his own way!

Skydragon, as you live in Britain, I hold your opinion in high regard because you have an insider's sight that I, in the great state of Virginia, do not. When the Queen passes away, will Andrew then be considered a minor royal, such as the Kents are? I was also on the "Royals and their finances page" and there was discussion about how the Civil List refers to the cost of the royal to have an office staff. Is the Civil List something taxpayers pay? Apparently,
Andrew has a large staff--some of who "supposedly-it was said on the forum" work for the Duchess still. Is there any truth in that? Sorry to ask so many questions. I had always thought the best of Andrew, but now, I'm reading where he is really quite extravagent!

jcbcode99 said:
Skydragon, as you live in Britain, I hold your opinion in high regard because you have an insider's sight that I, in the great state of Virginia, do not. When the Queen passes away, will Andrew then be considered a minor royal, such as the Kents are?
I can't speak for all Brits! :flowers: I do think, once William and Harry marry and have children, Andrew will be considered far less important and will slip into the minor royal role, much as the Kents have done. It might surprise you to learn that a lot of youngsters have no idea that Michael and Edward are the grandsons of a King! :ohmy:
There is no civil list now, but Andrew is paid for his employment by the state (£355.992 per annum) and gets an allowance (£249,000 per annum) from the Queen. All of his household expenses are met from the money the taxpayers 'contribute' to the running of the royal households and presumably for his office staff.
Andrew seems to ignore the furore that his extra perks cause, A lot of people still haven't forgotten his trip to Edinburgh, that just happened to be 'tied in' with a game of golf!

all amounts are approximate.

Last edited:
Thank you, Skydragon--but I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little lost--what trip to Edinburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom