Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
UKDukeofYorkArms.jpg

Arms of HRH The Duke of York

Welcome to The Duke of York current events
part 7, commencing July 2011

Part 6, covering the period November 2009 to June 2010, can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...nts-6-november-2009-june-2010-a-25534-34.html .​

Last edited:
In an article about William and Kate's visit to Yellowknife, one sentence mentions that Prince Andrew is planning to pay a private visit to Yellowknife later this summer. Interesting - as a Canadian, I'm happy that he still sees Canada as a favourite place to visit. I wonder what he will do in Yellowknife?

CTV Ottawa- Royals get warm welcome in Canada's North - CTV News

In an article about William and Kate's visit to Yellowknife, one sentence mentions that Prince Andrew is planning to pay a private visit to Yellowknife later this summer. Interesting - as a Canadian, I'm happy that he still sees Canada as a favourite place to visit. I wonder what he will do in Yellowknife?

Years ago when Andrew and Sarah visited Canada, didn't they take some private time and vacation in Yellowknife? I seem to recall that they took a canoe trip.

Yes, they did. I think Andrew had done some kind of wilderness excursion with his fellow students when he was a student at Lakefield College in Ontario, and he wanted to repeat the experience with Sarah. (According to her autobiography, the only thing she enjoyed about it was getting some alone time with Andrew!)

I just read this piece about Andrew's plans for his trip to Canada.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2011674/Prince-Andrew-heads-love-boat.html

It sounds like he is revisiting happier times.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

The Duke of York leaving the George restaurant in Mayfair London, July 6:

** Pic **

I think things will change for Andrew when Charles gets more power. He does get away with alot because he is the Queens favourite. Sarah seems to be around more because of what she can still get out of him then love. The Palace have already said Beatrice and Eugenie won't be working royals so that dream for Andrew is over it won't change with Charles in charge. If he continues to cause problems in his role that too will go sooner rather then later. His recent spending on travel was ridicules even in a bad year he spent double that the queen and Charles did.

With a profligate former wife and two coming-of-age daughters to support, according to an insider, Andrew has complained that it’s hard to make do on a yearly stipend of $408,000.
You live for free, don't pay for your expenses on your job and find it hard to live on 400K? I'll take a tenth, pay my own rent and smile.

You live for free, don't pay for your expenses on your job and find it hard to live on 400K? I'll take a tenth, pay my own rent and smile.

Give me 400k to live on with no expenses and all I would have to do is show up, be polite & smile for a few pictures......please you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.......You would just see me doing backwards handsprings to the bank & hope I don't break my neck in the process........just a little joke!!

There won't be a "King Charles". More likely he will be King George.

Monarchical ordinal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How do you know? I think a King Charles III would be fine no matter the history. This modern generation doesn't know its history anyway so the negative implications are rather moot IMO.
I am also interested in King Charles III's take on his brother and What Andrew's role will be under the new Kingship--if any. However Russo can wait. She hopes HM lives for a long, long time yet!

How do you know? I think a King Charles III would be fine no matter the history. This modern generation doesn't know its history anyway so the negative implications are rather moot IMO.
I am also interested in King Charles III's take on his brother and What Andrew's role will be under the new Kingship--if any. However Russo can wait. She hopes HM lives for a long, long time yet!

I still like to think in ages in the future he'd be reflected on as Charles the Green. For me there's been too many Georges.

What does any of this have to do with ANDREW's Current Events?

The article about Andrew's doubling of his travel costs can be found here:

http://nemdil.com/magazine/index.ph...ndrew-doubles-his-travel-bill-by-sidi-nemdil/

Excerpt:

Duke of York Prince Andrew doubles his travel bill By Steve Doughty
Last updated at 1:31 AM on 5th July 2011

The Duke of York more than doubled his spending of public money on foreign trips to promote British business, it emerged yesterday.

Prince Andrew, dubbed Airmiles Andy for his lavish travel bill, racked up £358,763 in journeys to Asia and the Middle East.

One trade trip took in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain just months before the Gulf state was engulfed in unrest and rioting against its rulers in which at least 30 people are said to have died.

Prince Andrew, dubbed Airmiles Andy for his lavish travel bill, racked up £358,763 in journeys to Asia and the Middle East.

One trade trip took in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain just months before the Gulf state was engulfed in unrest and rioting against its rulers in which at least 30 people are said to have died.
Really, he doesn't show any good judgment at all! Doesn't he realize that as long as the press is gunning for him, he'd better be extremely cautious about his expenses?

Really, he doesn't show any good judgment at all! Doesn't he realize that as long as the press is gunning for him, he'd better be extremely cautious about his expenses?

Its not like he is the one that determines where he travels and who he visits in his role as UK Trade Representative. These are not holidays they are business trips.

:previous: This is true; however, I wonder why the cost went up so much? Is he working more? I'm not one to begrudge spending money that benefits the UK in the long run, nor do I mind the use of a helicopter for short trips due to scheduling or security reasons.

Part of the problem seems to be he always goes visits friends etc or plays golf on some of these trips and uses the plane or helicopter etc to get there. He also seems to be going back to a lot of the same places where he happens to have a lot of friends that is why I think it is being questioned so much. I wonder how they work out a successful trip with his line of work? Also last year a bad one for him with the Jeffrey Epstein rumours and he was supposed to be having a lower profile. The Queen is cutting costs but Andrew is running up higher bills. His use of the helicopter has been questioned in the past and will continue to be if his bills keep getting higher. It seems the press don't think he is giving good value for the money.

Several MPs have for some time now been raising concerns that many of Andrew's current royal duties actually involve a conflict of interest, because they seem to dovetail so much with his own personal life. It has always been an unwritten rule that Royals tend to be allocated duties according to their talents and their interests [The Duke of Gloucester at one stage seemed to be carrying out engagements with a heavy emphasis on the Built Environment (he is an Architect by profession), The Prince of Wales has undertaken a lot of work on farming, the environment etc etc, Princess Diana 'cornered the market' for 'caring and sharing' and 'young children' roles etc]. But in these cases, Royal Aides always seem to manage / managed to keep any suggestion of 'personal profit' from 'intruding into the particular royal engagement'. I do wonder whether Prince Andrew is well-served by his own staff when it comes to arranging his programme - you never find this sort of problem with the Queen, do you? She adores horses and racing etc, but these interests only form a small proportion of her royal activities.

Just my thoughts

Alex

Last edited:
Just heard on the BBC Breakfast news that Andrew is no longer to be representing Britain abroad. The announcer surmised that this move would ensure that he will be separated from "unsuitable friends".

Apparently he is to look after apprenticeships.

An official announcement will be made in a few days.

Richard Kay also has this information in his Daily Mail column. So two sources have mentioned this now. This makes it more believable IMO.

Just heard on the BBC Breakfast news that Andrew is no longer to be representing Britain abroad.

Not exactly a huge surprise especially with the latest account of his travel expenses. Hopefully he will quietly go about his work without any of the scandals and accusations that have shadowed him. I wonder who will take over? It doesn't look good for him though, if it's true and it sounds like it is.

Yes, it makes it more likely.... although, what Andrew knows about Modern Apprenticeships, can probably fit on a second-class postage stamp... :)

There was a rumor floated recently that the Cambridges would take over the role. I don't see them doing it now, because William has his search and rescue position to finish. But after that, I can see it happening on their visits to non-Commonwealth countries--like when they had their visit with the BAFTA people in Los Angeles.

Not exactly a huge surprise especially with the latest account of his travel expenses. Hopefully he will quietly go about his work without any of the scandals and accusations that have shadowed him. I wonder who will take over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom