Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that several of you think Andrew is not out of shape even though he weighs more than when he was young. Good point! What I more precisely meant was that he is one of those people who change more as they age. Charles and Edward are among those who changed less as they aged. We all know people whom we have not seen in many years but who are still easily recognized. And then others somehow change a lot, and it does not have much to do with how fit they are.

You are right, Andrew has done some very challenging sports.

The Duke of York is visiting Indonesia from September 18 to 20. The visit will focus on strengthening bilateral relations between the UK and Indonesia, particularly in the trade, investment, science and innovation as well as education sectors.

Today, September 18, the Duke of York has launched the Great Britain Week in Jakarta:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

The Duke of York has continued his journey and is in Japan by now.

Together with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe he participated in the opening session of the Japan-UK security cooperation conference "Rejuvenating UK-Japan Relations for the 21st Century" in Tokyo today, September 30:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Today, October 1, the Duke of York met with Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito at the Togu Palace in Tokyo and inspected a Shinkansen bullet train at Tokyo Station.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** daylife gallery **

The Duke of York ‏@TheDukeOfYork 20m
Delighted to attend @Founders_Forum New York opening reception at New Media Centre Brooklyn #FFNYC

He get's about - and Eugenie is also now in NYC

The Duke of York ‏@TheDukeOfYork 20m
Delighted to attend @Founders_Forum New York opening reception at New Media Centre Brooklyn #FFNYC

He get's about - and Eugenie is also now in NYC

It shows how close of a family unit the Yorks are. Mom and Dad both probably want to make sure Eugenie is set up to start her new life in NYC.

Warms the heart. :flowers:

I agree. I just said over of Eugenie's Thread that it was good that she have both parents with her in NYC.

Andrew has obviously decided to return from his trip to Asia via the US as he was in Japan on Tuesday undertaking engagements.

Andrew has obviously decided to return from his trip to Asia via the US as he was in Japan on Tuesday undertaking engagements.

Just what I was thinking. This is the sort of thing that causes waves on the "who's paying" front. But if the NYC visit is authorised then it should be ok.

He has to return home from an authorised visit to Asia one way or the other - and from Japan it is about the same distance going east or west, except that going east he can fly straight there with no stopovers (have done that flight myself and wouldn't recommend it - mainly because it was a day long flight and arriving in London at 4.00 p.m. wasn't conducive to limiting jet-lag - worst I have ever had was on that trip - never again for me - will arrive in London n the early hours of the morning thanks, walk all day and sleep at about normal time at night - if I ever go again).

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Court Circular 3 October 2013

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Duke of York this afternoon attended a Luncheon for the winners of the 2013 Great Tech Awards at the Residence of Her Majesty's Consul-General for New York, United States of America.
His Royal Highness later attended the Founders Forum New York at the Hearst International Tower, Manhattan, New York.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Appears he was working afterall and did what anybody would do if they had a family member in a city they were visiting for work....have dinner with them.

:previous: The Duke of York is a hard working and dedicated member of the BRF. He carries out 500+ engagements a year and it would leave a major gap if Charles was to demote him. The tabloids mock him with "Air-miles Andy" but most of his overseas travel is at the request of the government.
JMO, but I think the Duke of York does great work for the BRF and Britain, and I see him continuing his role when Charles is King.

I totally agree with you on this. Most generally, people see what is in the press and his nickname of Air Miles Andy but one thing that they do not see or know is that after HM, Charles and Anne, Andy tops the others with the number of engagements per year.

He may be extravagant, he may be a bit arrogant, he may have a colorful past and perhaps has done things that have raised eyebrows but he is definitely an asset to the British Royal Family. He's Randy Andy and he's one of a kind.

When I saw that he was in NYC the same time as Eugenie moving there and that he had dinner with her, I thought it sweet, protective and very very daddyish. The fact that his ex-wife was also there and they presented a united family unit with what can be a scary proposition for a young girl (moving to a totally new BIG city on her own) very heartwarming. The costs and expense of his being there never entered my mind as I know he's well able to afford his lifestyle on his own.

So far this story has been in the Telegraph (where it started) and the Mail. These 2 feed off each other. All of DoY's engagements have been in the Court Circular so approved by HMQ. Other paper's know that and probably aren't biting because it.

It was the Daily Mail that first coined the "Air Miles Andy" tag, just like it was the Mail that started "Waity Katie," "Disco Di," "Freebie Fergie" etc. They always come up with unflattering nicknames for the Royals and then pretend that "people" "call" them by them. The papers always have "good" royals and "bad" royals - and who is in what category changes over time. At the beginning, they absolutely LOVED Sarah for being less formal. It's been almost fascinating to watch over the years - the swing of things. Just before the accident, Diana was the BAD royal - and then she was almost instantly canonized by the press. Right now, Harry is being groomed for the "bad" royal position by some papers - but when he's doing popular things, back come negative stories about Andrew and Sarah - with their daughters being caught right along with them. The ying and yang of it all would make for an interesting study in social journalism... But in the end, it's all about what will sell papers to generate advertising dollars.

Just more of picking on the "second" child stuff -- have done it for years w/Andrew and have begun to do it with Harry. The Daily Mail has nothing better to write about?!

Globetrotting Prince Andrew under fire over New York stopover during 'official' world tour to have dinner with Eugenie as she starts new job | Mail Online

I have one hope, that when Charles will become King, he will take care of Air Miles Andy fading into the background and putting an end to him always finding a way to make others pay for his 'business trips' / his shady way of handling his issues :eek:

And who will take up the 450 or so engagements a year he does - third behind Charles and Anne for the last few years as The Queen and Philip have cut back?

His 'business trips' have been to represent The Queen or The British Government and are done with their approval.

I found a lot of the comments in the DM article rather negative so wrote replies to about 10 of them with facts about his engagements and how hard he works etc but guess how many the DM published - none. I am not surprised as the DM wouldn't like people to actually know how hard this man works for the RF.

You know when I first read the title and other key lines of that article, I thought Andrew actually changed his travel plans and got down in NYC just for the sake of the dinner.
Thats the impression DM creates.. And I doubt if atleast 2 out of 10 who commented read the full article.. Just see a royal in the heading..more importantly Andrew..and get all your frustrations out..Good outlet..
But its bcos of the damn great pics I am never able to shun DM..

I found a lot of the comments in the DM article rather negative so wrote replies to about 10 of them with facts about his engagements and how hard he works etc but guess how many the DM published - none. I am not surprised as the DM wouldn't like people to actually know how hard this man works for the RF.

I have had the same experience with the DM. They do not like to let facts get in the way and certainly do not like to have it pointed out that their story was factually wrong.

the Express comment section has published this article by Richard Palmer.

What's Prince Andrew got to hide? | Richard Palmer | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

(This has already been posted on another thread so apologies for duplication)

It is a really balanced article and instead of the negative Telegraph/Mail angle, it focuses on the fact that DoY is rubbish at letting us all know (particularly the press) what his schedule is. It says there are criticisms of DoY's office.

I think that HMQ and PoW need to help sort that out cos it is doing some damage.

The Duke of York ‏@TheDukeOfYork 4 Oct
The Duke is proud to receive the Hands Across the Seas Award from @SSMACNYC who do great work to support veterans

Shame the press didn't write about this

the Express comment section has published this article by Richard Palmer.

What's Prince Andrew got to hide? | Richard Palmer | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

(This has already been posted on another thread so apologies for duplication)

It is a really balanced article and instead of the negative Telegraph/Mail angle, it focuses on the fact that DoY is rubbish at letting us all know (particularly the press) what his schedule is. It says there are criticisms of DoY's office.

I think that HMQ and PoW need to help sort that out cos it is doing some damage.

This was interesting. Whatever Andrew's motivation, its not a help to the monarchy. The days when royals can do as they will without any scrutiny or accountability are gone.

A prince and a king walk into Office Depot - Sun Sentinel

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Court Circular 7 October 2013

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Duke of York, Patron, Round Square, this morning attended the Round Square Conference at Office Depot Corporate Headquarters, Boca Raton, Florida, United States of America.
His Royal Highness this evening departed from Miami International Airport for the United Kingdom.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom