The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: November 2009 - June 2010

Arms of HRH The Duke of York

Welcome to The Duke of York current events
part 6, commencing November 2009

Part 5, covering the period September 2008 to October 2009 , can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9-a-18405.html

Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke of York has revealed he wants his daughters to join him on the globe-trotting trade ambassador junkets that earned him the nickname “Air Miles Andy”.

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Charles' KO junket bid

Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Nobility

What exactly does he mean by taking them with him? What does he intend for them to do?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
What exactly does he mean by taking them with him? What does he intend for them to do?
Taking them for experience, or a holiday. Further increasing the damning image we already have of him.
I don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie should be taken on tours with their father, when they are not the two royal children that need to experience. Plus they are both in Universities and taking them out of their environment would be damaging to them.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I took it to mean that they would be doing a similar job to Andrew. If the story is true, it shows Andrew has very little idea. 48% of businesses he was supposed to represent, apparently did not think he was effective (Telegraph article posted earlier) and that after a number of years in the Navy, what good will two young women do, with an even greater lack of real life/business experience?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Nobility

Good point Skydragon but if those figures are accurate then about half of his clients are satisfied. Should we expect a 100% success rate from Prince Andrew during these tough economic times?
At first I was offended by Prince Andrew's high flying position but now I've come around.
IMO most royals target the neediest people in society through charity work which is very good but there is a gap that Prince Andrew is filling here and I think it was good of him to not over look it. By traveling the world as 'special representative' for British businesses he's using his elite position for the good of his country and working his butt off to encourage economic growth and where there is growth there is stability and more jobs to go around.
So I think he should be able to take his daughters with him for experience but they should try to cut costs where they can.
According to his website thedukeofyork.org, last year the prince attended 529 engagements in his capacity as Special Representative for International Trade and Investment. If his site is accurate it appears that many businesses are well pleased with his support and he is doing a good job. I would be inclined to let his daughter's go, they might learn something from it.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Nobility

His two quotes:
1) "If that is the sort of thing they want to do I see no reason why not." Has he even asked them or is he just testing the waters?
2) "I could make use of them because they would take some of the burden off me." As undergraduates, what do they know about international business, politics, etc. I can't quite see them giving speeches, so how is their presence going to decrease his burden.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
His two quotes:
1) "If that is the sort of thing they want to do I see no reason why not." Has he even asked them or is he just testing the waters?
2) "I could make use of them because they would take some of the burden off me." As undergraduates, what do they know about international business, politics, etc. I can't quite see them giving speeches, so how is their presence going to decrease his burden.
Use their charms perhaps? You know, they could show a bit of royal leg when meetings aren't going as well as expected
Seriously, from what I've read the prince has been doing this for ages (since 2001) and gets briefed. My guess is he's learned a lot on the job and he is supposedly respected for his knowledge. Who knows what his daughters would do though - listen and learn? He really needs to specify. It could be something as simple as manning his phones or entertaining. IMO at their age the main purpose would have to be getting experience. He's already taken Beatrice on his business trips to observe his work.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Nobility

Getting experience not looking bored when daddy's giving a speech.
Starting by attending some of his functions in the UK would be fine.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
His two quotes:
I think all this is just hypothetical. The article in the Sun is just based off a couple of quotes from the interview Andrew did with The Telegraph recently (that was discussed in the last thread). Somehow the Sun has turned a couple of quotes into a whole story, including supposed quotes from Charles' aide and a description of Charles as being "infuriated"! (Over something that might hypothetically happen in the future, when he might or might not be king!) No one is saying that Beatrice and Eugenie are going to take over Andrew's job or that they even want to; some reporter just asked Andrew whether he thought it was something they might do in the future and he basically said he could use them if they wanted to do it. But the reporter raised the possibility, not Andrew.

Beatrice and Eugenie are still in school and I don't think that even if they did take over parts of Andrew's job, they would do it right after graduation.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Courtier

A suggestion. First, do the girls play golf? If not they could start having lessons.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Good point Skydragon but if those figures are accurate then about half of his clients are satisfied. Should we expect a 100% success rate from Prince Andrew during these tough economic times?
It didn't say how many refused to take part and if he is good at his job, I would expect at least a 70% satisfaction rating or I would replace him. No company would keep a salesman who is only 50% effective!
Quote:
IMO most royals target the neediest people in society through charity work which is very good but there is a gap that Prince Andrew is filling here and I think it was good of him to not over look it. By traveling the world as 'special representative' for British businesses he's using his elite position for the good of his country and working his butt off to encourage economic growth and where there is growth there is stability and more jobs to go around.
Here we most definitely disagree, he is not stimulating economic growth, (thank goodness otherwise the recession could be deeper than it is). He didn't 'overlook' anything, they needed a job for him, so they gave him one! I have serious doubts as to whether he is 'working his butt' off, the evidence to date suggests not.
Quote:
So I think he should be able to take his daughters with him for experience but they should try to cut costs where they can.... ....
If his site is accurate it appears that many businesses are well pleased with his support and he is doing a good job. I would be inclined to let his daughter's go, they might learn something from it.
Would you expect the site to say 'he is bloody useless but it keeps him occupied, the real work is done by trained staff'? The girls need to earn a place on any UK team and that means a few years under their belts of living and working.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He's already taken Beatrice on his business trips to observe his work.
Really, I understood it was to give the girl a supervised foreign holiday.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Really, I understood it was to give the girl a supervised foreign holiday.
Well the "supervised" part is a jolly good idea.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that this is a good idea at all. If he wants them to have experience, I suggest he park them with his mother. Or his sister. IMO, they both do things correctly and efficiently and would be a huge influence for good.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I don't think that this is a good idea at all. If he wants them to have experience, I suggest he park them with his mother. Or his sister. IMO, they both do things correctly and efficiently and would be a huge influence for good.
Princess Anne for definite. I think she should open a royal training school.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Princess Anne for definite. I think she should open a royal training school.
What on earth has she done to deserve that?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of York at El Alamein Remembrance Event

The Duke lays a wreath and gives a brief interview comparing El Alamein to the current terrain in Afghanistan. Also clips from interviews with veterans. We will remember them.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The Duke lays a wreath and gives a brief interview comparing El Alamein to the current terrain in Afghanistan. Also clips from interviews with veterans. We will remember them.

My great-uncle fought at El-Alamein and I am so pleased that the Duke of York honoured these men.

My great-uncle survived the battle and the war but he was lucky. He actually stood on a mine but was virtually uninjured as all he got was a bad concussion and lost every tooth but those around him were either killed or badly wounded. He always had terrible trouble coming to terms with that luck and it played on his mind for the rest of his life but he was always proud to have been a veteran of that great battle.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Men like your great-uncle must never be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
My great-uncle survived the battle and the war but he was lucky. He actually stood on a mine but was virtually uninjured as all he got was a bad concussion and lost every tooth but those around him were either killed or badly wounded.