Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The knives are certainly out for Andrew and if these stories keep coming he could very easily be forced to resign as Trade Ambassador.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Andrew and the Arab prince with a stake in Queen’s £3billion windfarm

He does have to be above board so any suggestion of impropriety isn't acceptable.

You just beat me to it Iluvbertie. Yes all the tabloids seem to be getting in on the act now. I think the press will once again start to question (rightly or wrongly) how much he knew about Sarah's access meetings.
I hope for his sake he didn't let her take that fall, if he did he would have no option to resign. I know there is no suggestion of that at the mo, but the press will be like dogs with a bone, and will start to dig.

I had to smirk that this one: "It has emerged that an Arab royal who frequently entertains the Prince has secured a multimillion-pound stake in the world’s biggest wind farm in a deal that could earn a fortune for the Royal Family as the Crown Estates are paid rental for the undersea cables taking power from the wind farms to the mainland." This from the article in the Express quoted above.

Why the smirk? It could have been written as "An Arab royal has invested in the world's biggest wind farm." As the Crown Estates are owned by the nation, isn't it the public purse that benefits?

Did Andrew perform any official duties as a member of the BRF while in Saudi Arabia? If so, it would be in keeping for the host country to meet the costs associated with that.

I think that the press smells blood.

Nice to see him visiting the troops, any reason he chose the Royal Irish Regiment?

Here are some pics of his trip:

Prince Andrew talking to Sailors from the Fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy in the Sea
King helicopter hanger on in Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Afghanistan,
December 19, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **

No disrespect to anyone, but that hat has got to go.

Beret, and it goes with the uniform.

The Duke of York during the opening of the University of Strathclyde's multi-million pound Advanced Forming Research Centre (AFRC) at Inchinnan in Scotland. January 19, 2011

BelgaPicture - Category details

On February 1st, Prince Andrew has met with armed forces personnel who had
been helped by Project Mobility, at Buckingham Palace, London. The charity
supports injured and disabled armed forces personnel by providing fully accessible
vehicles for offroading, greenlaning, confidence building and international expeditions.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Andrew as President of the Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom, has
presented The Queen's Cup to club representatives, at Buckingham Palace,
London, 9 February 2011.

** Pic **

The Duke of York appointed To be a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
The Queen has been pleased to make the following appointment to the Royal Victorian Order:-

To be a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)
HRH The Duke Of York, KG
full press release

edit: Lumutqueen, you were faster ;)

I was by two minutes, so now we have 2 of the same posts.

Alright...time to rein this in.

This thread is not about Harry, his parentage, alternate succession to the British throne, etc.

Its about Andrew's Current Events.

Any and all off topic and speculative comments will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Exactly. Puppies and Kittens are terms I often use for little boys and girls.

Prince Andrew's relations with Tunisian dictator's son-in-law in spotlight | UK news | The Guardian

Reading this article, I noticed that even some of the supposed supportive comments about Andrew really give him mixed reviews:

"He was a definite net asset," said a former diplomat who worked with the duke in the Middle East. "He is not the greatest intellectual but when he is in a good mood and pointed in the right direction he is good with Middle East businessmen and minor royals. He works extremely hard and takes it all very seriously. He doesn't drink and is very energetic. There were flashes of his father's temper and he can be very stubborn. It was usually when he was tired and tried to do too much. He required careful handling, You had to be respectful, but firm."

Okay, so Andrew is a "net asset"...I got the impression from the article that while Andrew does work hard, the main reason UKTI keeps him around because he is a royal, and Middle Eastern countries in particular are more receptive to royals than to prime ministers/presidents. So if Prince Andrew sometimes seems to have an attitude of entitlement, no wonder--people treat him as indispensable just because he is a royal.

That is an absolutely fascinating description of Prince Andrew, Rmay286. The language of business production applied to a prince: he is a "net asset" rather than a "net loss." His initial "capital" includes a less than stellar intellect, but fortunately he's in a good mood often enough!

I love the phrase "pointed in the right direction." I wonder if the former diplomate realize how much like a child this makes the Prince sound? Of course, they are dealing with complex issues, and the "pointing" probably means "brief thoroughly as to the interests he's supposed to support."

His father has a temper? Really? Well, everyone I know gets irritable when they are tired.

Oddly, it sounds as if many people I meet these days believe they deserve the same "careful handling," as if they are a royal. Sounds as if, being a real royal and not an ersatz royal, he is indeed an asset in those nations where culture dictates that royalty is still respect, in and of itself.

There's no one else who can do what he has been doing, unless they were to stick one of the next generation into those roles, and frankly, I can't imagine that happening yet (and Prince Andrew can fly under the press radar in some ways that the younger royals cannot).

In other words, he practices a "willing ignorance." Perhaps it's a bit like when family members are in denial about an issue such as alcoholism or some kind of vice. Some people have the ability to completely put things out of mind.

This is a speech that the Duke made when he launched an appeal for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in 1999. When the stories began to circulate about Prince Andrew and Epstein, I thought of this.

United Kingdom Government News: THE DUKE OF YORK LAUNCHES THE NSPCC''S FULL STOP CAMPAIGN

I think this is the way Andrew operates. Either he is dumb and doesn't know what happens under his nose (and I don't really think he is that dumb) or he's learned to actually block out things he doesn't want to see.

Last edited:
Prince Andrew as patron of the Young Engineers attended the science and
engineering Big Bang Fair at the Excel Centre in London. March 10, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

Last edited:
Prince Andrew is very good at appearances like this. :flowers:

Prince Andrew as patron of the Young Engineers attended the science and
engineering Big Bang Fair at the Excel Centre in London. March 10, 2011.

Normally I'd agree with you, rmay286; but 21 is a young age and that was a very expensive necklace from someone who Beatrice likely isn't very close to. There's something about it that seems "creepy" to me. If the necklace was presented as an official gift during a royal tour, it would be different. But this seems to be a personal gift from a friend of the Duke's to the Duke's daughter. :S

Libyan fixer gave necklace to Prince Andrew's daughter Beatrice | The Australian

More insinuations about Andrew's friendships, etc. I don't think it's unusual for princesses to get expensive gifts.

Last edited:
I guess there is something generally odd about every gift that Andrew's friends lavishes on him. It's not just the necklace; it's the offers of places to stay (didn't some wealthy Arab friend give Andrew free use of one of his residences?...I don't remember the story well) and of course, the purchase of Sunninghill for more than the asking price. Maybe the very rich can afford to be generous, but it does give the impression that someday they will feel entitled to ask for something in return...

Bingo! That's it. There's always a sense that there's some kind of quid-pro-quo involved, and I don't like the idea of Beatrice and Eugenie being drawn into that.

Maybe the very rich can afford to be generous, but it does give the impression that someday they will feel entitled to ask for something in return...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom