The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

SouthYork RIP: Andrew and Fergie's dilapidated mansion to be torn down, say Polish family living there rent-free | Mail Online

I'm posting this in Prince Andrew's current events...Zonk can move it if this isn't the appropriate place.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York has opened the new Glenmorangie bottling facility in Livingston, West Lothian, 7 September 2011.

** Pic ** BBC: Duke of York opens new Glenmorangie bottling facility **

Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York as Patron of the Young Champions Trophy attended the
Tournament Dinner at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, September 13, 2011.

** Pic ** Prince Andrew visits famous Beatles club in Liverpool **
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

OOOOH! PA's looking SHARP! <insert thumbs up here> Think he's reinventing himself??
Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Serene Highness

He does look very good ... nice suit and I'm thinking he may have lost a bit of weight as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Aristocracy

I've always thought Prince Andrew was the best dressed member of the RF. A lot more current than his more 'old school' brother, Prince Charles. He does look like he's dropped a few pounds. Nice suit.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Andrew is looking better then he has in awhile. Guess he really needed those holidays and a new job could off helped things. I think he has always dressed better then Charles!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Courtier

Prince Andrew'wastes £150,000 flying to Saudi': Taxpayers fund private jet for three-day trade mission | Mail Online

I thought he wasn't 'trade ambassador' any more, I'm confused. I assumed the role/title went away because of this type of excess. I guess the RF must be ok w/ this. Has he done anything work wise in his life to make him an asset in matters of trade? I thought he had served in the military for a number of years but not any other occupation (except the trade thing he just stopped.) What did he get his university degree in?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Prince Andrew'wastes £150,000 flying to Saudi': Taxpayers fund private jet for three-day trade mission | Mail Online

I thought he wasn't 'trade ambassador' any more, I'm confused. I assumed the role/title went away because of this type of excess. I guess the RF must be ok w/ this. Has he done anything work wise in his life to make him an asset in matters of trade? I thought he had served in the military for a number of years but not any other occupation (except the trade thing he just stopped.) What did he get his university degree in?

He isn't trade ambassador any more but his role is now to promote British industry and interests abroad - in other words his role hasn't really changed that much, just the title. He is supposed to be doing more at home though.

He served in the military for 20 or so years.

He never went to university - he went from school straight to Dartmouth (the naval officer training facility - like Sandhurst is the army training facility) In those days they didn't take 'gap' years either so straight after the summer holidays after he finished school he went into the navy.

When he left the navy he replaced the Duke of Kent as Trade Ambassador and made the role a much higher profile role than it had been. What he has achieved in that role is very hard to quantify as you would have to look at the contracts etc that Britain has gained since he took on that role and find out to what extent his participation actually played a part in getting the contract/contact etc for Britain over another country.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

I have to say it but if any of the allegations in this article are even remotely true, nix the Airmiles Andy and replace it with Airhead Andy. One would think that after all the controversy surrounding his tenure as a British Trade Ambassador and then stepping down, the sanest thing to do would be to tone it down just a wee bit.

From the article:

When he stepped down as global trade ambassador in July, he created a new role for himself – as a ‘senior working royal’ with a particular interest in British business. Critics claimed at the time that it was a ploy designed to enable him to continue clocking up miles travelling abroad at taxpayers’ expense.

Perhaps Mummy should put Andy on an allowance?

This whole thing disturbs me.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the background Iluvbertie. So he did much as Harry is doing now, then. Are these training facilities like West Point or Annapolis here in the states where you get actual degrees? The gap year thing doesn't happen here still, @ least among anyone I know (except one friend of my nieces - whose parents were originally British.)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Majesty

Nothing like an inflammatory headline to stir the pot. Prince Andrew met with a construction group, a mayor, and attended a dinner hosted by the British ambassador. We really don't know if the trip was "wasted", because we don't know how much money will appear in the UK's coffers due to business contracts that might arise from the meetings. I agree that the Duke and his retinue should have used regular flights; but if those flights weren't available at the necessary times, then chartering a private jet was the only option. Saudi Arabia is too far away to drive.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks for the background Iluvbertie. So he did much as Harry is doing now, then. Are these training facilities like West Point or Annapolis here in the states where you get actual degrees? The gap year thing doesn't happen here still, @ least among anyone I know (except one friend of my nieces - whose parents were originally British.)
No you don't receive a degree similar to West Point or Annapolis. Sandhurst and Dartmouth accept both those straight from sixth form like Harry (high school) and university graduates like William. You can only enter West Point/Annapolis from high school or otherwise go to Officer Candidate School for the respective branch.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

No Dartmouth and Sandhurst don't give degrees. Harry went to Sandhurst after his gap year and William went after a gap year, a degree and half another year doing other things.

The courses are about 3 months long and intensive military training rather than military training along with degree courses as happens at Annapolis or West Point.

I remember reading when Harry was going to Sandhurst that the majority of his class would be older than him as they would already have their degrees when they entered the college.

Andrew also spent about 3 months or so at Dartmouth from 1st September, 1979. In 1980 he went into training courses to learn to fly helicopters including the Sea King, which he flew in the Falklands campaign (the Sea King is the same helicopter that William flies now). He also learnt to fly the Lynx. He rose through the ranks on ability until he reached Commander. Since retiring from active service he has been promoted to the honourary rank of Rear Admiral.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
SouthYork RIP: Andrew and Fergie's dilapidated mansion to be torn down, say Polish family living there rent-free | Mail Online

I'm posting this in Prince Andrew's current events...Zonk can move it if this isn't the appropriate place.
Curious - why did Sunningdale have such a dramatic deterioration? Seems very odd. 2006 is pretty recent. Why did Sarah (with daughters) move out? I had been under the impression that Sarah and Andrew lived at Sunningdale together after the divorce. I guess Andrew moved out and Sarah followed? Maybe there is a thread about this?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince Andrew meets Bin Laden family

This man must feel incredibly pointless when looking at his activities in order to be noticed or feel important.
I am no fan of Edward but at least he manages to lead a life outside the public eye and controversy.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Courtier

Is no one advising him or does he just not listen. How is it ever going to be a good idea to visit this family. There seems to be a disagreement on who is paying for the trip I really don't see Andrew paying for it himself. But the Trade people are denying that they are paying for it. Andrew needs to be more like Edward when was the last time he made headlines over the work he does. He just does it!

As for Sunninghill I believe Andrew moved out and tried to sell it and it was on the market for years. Why Sarah never lived there I don't know. It has been empty since 2006 and by the looks of it no one bothered to maintain it. Doesn't look like it was built well either because it shouldn't be so bad. It was a really ugly house in my opinion anyway and whatever they build might be prettier. It does make you wonder why Sarah didn't live there, Andrew had Royal Lodge and Sarah was doing well at that time.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
As for Sunninghill I believe Andrew moved out and tried to sell it and it was on the market for years. Why Sarah never lived there I don't know. It has been empty since 2006 and by the looks of it no one bothered to maintain it. Doesn't look like it was built well either because it shouldn't be so bad. It was a really ugly house in my opinion anyway and whatever they build might be prettier. It does make you wonder why Sarah didn't live there, Andrew had Royal Lodge and Sarah was doing well at that time.

I thought it ugly too!
Still, it was built for Andrew and Sarah, right? So they must have had input about the style, etc.

Maybe they should have asked Charles? He has such decided opinions on architecture!
(Though I generally agree with him).
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Majesty

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Are we to condemn the entire Bin Laden family because of Osama. They are after all a very large,wealthy and important business family. As I recall former President George H W Bush was meeting with the family on 9/11. The family had distanced themselves from Osama before that date. I note that it was the Foreign Office which approved that the visit should go ahead.

Closed Thread