Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that these events are done at least 6 months in advance someone didn't work out the timings right so he could get a scheduled flight. What event did he go to? It amazes me that out of the two Andrew is supposed to be the good one with money!

Being that these events are done at least 6 months in advance someone didn't work out the timings right so he could get a scheduled flight. What event did he go to? It amazes me that out of the two Andrew is supposed to be the good one with money!

As far as I am aware it was a private event so not something in the Court Circular. It may be that it wasn't possible to reschedule e.g. if it was a friend's 50th birthday party (not saying it was but just as an example) he wouldn't be able to reschedule that event and maybe at the other end they couldn't do anything either.

Suggestions only with no knowledge about anything.

However Andrew manages to turn things to his advantage (continues to feel important while others pick up the bill) by kind of deciving the public (giving up his "title" while in fact pursuing the same things) - at the end of the day its the worst advertisement he can do for the institution: in public opinion, he is a parasite of the worst kind. I dont think there is a BRF member with less appreciation than Andrew (ok, it would be different if Fergie was still part of the family).

I have hope that Charles as King will put his brother into place and asks him to fade into at least public obscurity, like Edward.

However Andrew manages to turn things to his advantage (continues to feel important while others pick up the bill) by kind of deciving the public (giving up his "title" while in fact pursuing the same things) - at the end of the day its the worst advertisement he can do for the institution: in public opinion, he is a parasite of the worst kind.

I don't usually criticize Andrew, but I feel that there's some truth to what you say. If the engagement in Saudi Arabia was scheduled six months in advance, I don't see why Andrew couldn't have kept his schedule free the day before he had to leave. It also seems true that Andrew has given up his title, but not some of the foreign trips promoting UK business.

Like you say, he "continues to feel important", but is he really doing anything important? I feel like Andrew's foreign jaunts, meeting with world leaders, make him both feel and look important...but I'm not sure they accomplish anything important, and they make people see him as a parasite. I would rather Andrew do something that involved less extravagance and more demonstrable "value for money."

I have hope that Charles as King will put his brother into place and asks him to fade into at least public obscurity, like Edward.

Edward hasn't faded away. He and Sophie work constantly at supporting the Queen, and the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme; some of this work is, I believe, behind the scenes; the picture thread shows them frequently out and about. They're just quiet about it. Or the media just can't be bothered taking their photos. Whatever.

Back to Andrew; he certainly needs to make more of an effort as he doesn't really appear to be popular. Most pics i see, he looks quite grumpy.

I love Edward and Sophie they are doing their work in a nice way. Not looking for freebies and parties like Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward has "faded away" from the point of view of international media. Andrew is fast receding to almost the same degree (and for good reason; if only Sarah wouldn't keep making reality shows!)

However it is that siblings keep each other in check, older siblings have their ways (usually). Occasionally a very strong willed younger sibling is defiant, but it rarely takes a direct order or anything like it (teasing will often do). I don't see Andrew or Edward as strong-willed (Anne maybe, but she's female, not the same in this system).

Charles won't have to do hardly anything; Andrew will be made to adjust to his new circumstances by a host of forces of which include Charles, but mostly the will of the people and Andrew's own sense of self.

On October 13, the Duke of York has visited the TS TRAFALGAR in Surrey to mark the centenary of TS TRAFALGAR.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Andrew sure does know how to please the public... Out of all the family Andrew is the one who annoys me slightly. To be fair, it is the Daily Mail so it could all be utter rubbish but...

:previous:

Men in uniform...;)

As announced in yesterday's article the Duke of York is in Asia these days,

today, October 25, he paid a visit to the British International School and attended the
opening ceremony for a new factory of Shanghai Abacus Lighting Co., Ltd - both in Shanghai.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
What on earth is wrong with Andrew? Even as a staunch monarchist I can't help but join in the criticism of him when people bash him. We're in recession, the country is easy to wind up and off he goes to Asia on a pretty much non-mission considering that he's going to step down as a "business ambassador". Couple that with this insistence that Beatrice and Eugenie must be working members of the family and must receive money and extra security etc etc bore bore bore and you get an extremely spoilt and unpopular man.

I have to agree that something is off regarding Andrew's behavior. IMO he appears to be quite out of touch with public opinion. Anne and Edward/Sophie appear to be quietly working for the firm without attracting such negative press. Regarding his request that his daughters be thought of as "full time royals" he needs to rethink his position. Like it or not, Beatrice and Eugenie should not plan on a future as a "full time royal" and their parents should be doing their best to prepare them for full time careers and only part time royal appearances.

I am anxious not to take this thread off topic, but IMHO, I think the real problem is that Andrew is not.....over- bright. And examples of this now seem to weave their way through many of his current events.......

include the fact that he served in the Navy, with some gallantry. His bad points seem to stem from the fact that he seems completely unable to see many things from a position other than his own!

A friend of my husband, who served in the Royal Navy, [but not right alongside Andrew] once told me that he thought that the problem with Andrew's development lay in the fact that all through his life, everyone deferred to him, giving him an over-inflated opinion of his own importance. Apparently, this was even the case when he was in the Navy - starting from the time when he was able to get time off to be with Sarah when she was giving birth. The situation was that Andrew wanted to be at Sarah's side, and so the Navy arranged this. Up until that time, any serving sailor who wanted to get home to his wife was usually given short shrift! [Apparently, one of the reasons why poor old Prince Edward found the Marines so tough was that they treated him exactly the same as any other Marine recruit....]

You would think that any one with common sense would be able to sense that having courted controversy when serving as Trade Ambassador, Andrew would have the sense to tread carefully. But apparently this is not the case. I assume that staff trying to steer Andrew in a more sensible direction would be put in their place. Swiftly. Which is why I suppose Andrew continues to behave in the way that he is doing.

What I do find a little surprising is why the Queen [or Prince Philip, come to that!] is prepared to let this state of affairs continue. The Queen has, in my humble opinion, quite a well-developed 'radar' about what people are thinking. I often read that Andrew is her 'favourite son', and therefore by implication, over-indulged. However, I always question this assertion about 'favouritism'. I really do not think that the Queen favours any of her children over another, but what I do think is that by the time that Andrew [and Edward] arrived, the Queen was in a position to be more closely involved with their upbringing. She had had longer to work in her royal role, and therefore do so more efficiently. and of course, the 10 years between the birth of Anne and Andrew had seen a lot of changes - for a start, long distance air travel was now firmly in place, meaning that the Queen was not going to have to leave her younger family in the way that she did [for long periods] when Charles and Anne were young.

Why then does the Queen not step in? I sometimes wonder what more Andrew has to do?

Only my thoughts and not meant to offend,

Alex

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for your insight Alex. Personally I'm not offended by the thoughts that you've shared.:flowers:

I dont see why it should be Andrew's problem when he sold it quite some time ago.

:previous: I agree, scooter. He has no reason to have concern for that property now.

What on earth could Andrew do about it? The new owner will do what they want it's their property.

I think this is just a way of using Andrew's name, resurrecting an old "scandal", and thereby selling papers. Anybody who knows anything about property knows that it's no longer your responsibility once you sell it.;)

Maybe Andrew has been a bit to beneath the radar recently and hasn't done anything controversial so the DM had to raise some 'scandal' because there isn't anything else.

I have no doubt, Iluvbertie. Spot on.:)

Maybe Andrew has been a bit to beneath the radar recently and hasn't done anything controversial so the DM had to raise some 'scandal' because there isn't anything else.

Sounds like it Iluvbertie. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a story.

:previous: I wonder what Andrew would have to do to have the DM say something nice about him? The thing is, we have no way of knowing how beneficial these trips and therefore do a cost/benefit analysis.

I don't think, even if he died, the DM would have something nice to say about him. But then again there are some posters on this and other boards who would also probably cheer along with quite a large percentage of the British public.

The man has served his country as asked all his adult life and he just can't get any credit for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom