The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Serene Highness

Hrumppph, yet again Sarah blames her indebtness on "failed businesses". When will she admit that she just spent too much money? Poor Andrew .....

And again another picture of her clutching the hand of one of her daughters.

Sorry, I know this is OT.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Any chance of having a moratorium on Fergie-bashing?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Any chance of having a moratorium on Fergie-bashing?
I am trying Renata4711...I am trying...despite my REPEATED requests to keep the Fergie bashing to her threads....it seems to affect every York thread.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Majesty

I admit that I get caught up in the cross-postings as well. My explanation for the "phenomena" is that Andrew and Sarah seem to be inextricably linked. Their situations are so entwined that it's almost impossible to discuss one without discussing the other. However, I will try to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am trying Renata4711...I am trying...despite my REPEATED requests to keep the Fergie bashing to her threads....it seems to affect every York thread.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Poor Zonk, but there is a genuinely serious side to Renata4711's and your own despair:

I think the main problem is that so often Sarah's events seem so closely entwined with those of Andrew and so many of the pronouncements attributed to Andrew seem to involve Sarah. Russo indeed touches on this point above: I've been looking through the British Newspapers - the more 'respectable broadsheets' as well as the tabloid trash - from the last week and all mentions of Andrew and his current activities [i.e. of the type that would properly be posted in this thread] in those papers have also contained a goodly amount of information on Sarah: for example, the articles about Andrew dealing with the Epstein controversy all mention Sarah; the articles - even the serious, well-written articles by responsible journalists - about the demise of Andrew's role as 'trade envoy' all mention Sarah in varying degrees of detail - and some substantial; the argument in each case [basically] seeems to be that the (alleged) dubious financial contacts that Andrew apparently set up during his time as 'special envoy' and which basically well felt to have contributed to his continuing in the role as being untenable - were allegedly to benefit Sarah etc etc.

Even the lighter-toned articles seem to be heading the same way - Andrew's prescence at Zara and Mike's wedding is mentioned - even by the broadsheets - from a 'Sarah' angle: I've read a couple of articles about the supposed guestlist and both mention that Andrew will be there (alone) with the princesses and looking 'sad' as he (allegedly did) at the marriage of William and Catherine....

By contrast, articles about other members of the BRF, even married couples, nevertheless manage to treat them as separate entities when appropriate.

The interesting thing of course is that the newspaper articles about Andrew's current affairs, by linking everything to Sarah, all serve to implant in people's minds the (sublimal) suggestion that Andrew and Sarah are still a unit; I do not mean a married couple, but a 'joint' operation.

Only my views and not meant to offend

Alex

ETA: I am a slow typist [never trained as a touch typist] and whilst I was writing this, Mermaid's similar thoughts appeared. A.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I agree that sometimes its hard to separate the two...that isn't the issue so much as the Fergie bashing that Renata mentioned. That is the problem and it happens in every York thread: A Wife for Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie's Current Events, Duties for Beatrice and Eugenie, etc. EVERY THREAD.

But let's get back on topic....Andrew's Current Events.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Courtier

So. Anyone seen Andy aloft recently?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM

Prince Andrew visits Canada's Northwest Territories.
Prince Andrew marks 5th visit to N.W.T. - North - CBC News

I had heard that he would be travelling with his daughters, but there is no mention of them in this article, maybe they did not join him after all.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Andrew needs a shave, not keen of the whiskers. Sounds like the girls didn't go which is a pity it would have been good for the three of them to get away by themselves. Although such a long canoe trip isn't my idea of fun and possibly not theirs. Andrew seems to have a real affection for Canada he would need too all that paddling would have been hardwork and they raised a great deal of money.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Nobility

It seems like it was a boys trip. They did a trip just two or three years ago as well. Andrew seems to have made some life long friends during his school time in Canada.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Serene Highness

I like the whiskers-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Andrew needs a shave, not keen of the whiskers. ..
He has a kind of Sean Connery thing going on.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Aristocracy

My next-door neighbour's son worked in Norman Wells for a year. It's only a few miles from the Arctic Circle...Andrew is really up north. The only way that you can get there is to fly it. The town is quite small, but from the pictures I've seen, it's in a beautiful location with the river and the mountains.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Majesty

At his age, I think that the whiskers make him look older. He looked much nicer when he had the beard in his 20s. The trip was certainly a chance for him to get away from his problems for awhile, and it probably also benefited tourism in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
Andrew needs a shave, not keen of the whiskers. Sounds like the girls didn't go which is a pity it would have been good for the three of them to get away by themselves. Although such a long canoe trip isn't my idea of fun and possibly not theirs. Andrew seems to have a real affection for Canada he would need too all that paddling would have been hardwork and they raised a great deal of money.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM
Courtier

It is indeed a rather "rugged" looking Andrew. Good to see that he has some good "mates" and a quite sense of adventure. I rather like the photos. Nice to see a royal having some good old fashioned fun for a change... especially Andrew after all his problems.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Grizzly Andrew: Duke grows grand old beard during trek | Mail Online
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

I like his beard. I've always thought that Andrew looks a lot like the last Tsar of Russia and also George V. It really shows when he grows a beard.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
I like his beard. I've always thought that Andrew looks a lot like the last Tsar of Russia and also George V. It really shows when he grows a beard.
He rather is looking an awful lot like Prince MIchael of Kent, isn't he?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Commoner

Strong genes in that family!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
He rather is looking an awful lot like Prince MIchael of Kent, isn't he?
My thoughts exactly. George V and the Tsar had thinner faces while PA has the same pudgy look as Prince Michael. Actually, of the two, Prince Michael has more the look of George V and the Tsar, except again a little too full in the face, IMO.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

So do I. Before I saw it, I thought I might not like it on him, but he looks okay with it.

Closed Thread