The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
There seems to be a trend for the younger royals to spend August abroad. Various 'combinations of Yorks' have over the years turned up somewhere on the Med [Spain, South of France] during August. I am not sure whether Canada is intended as a 'subsitute' or an 'add on' to the 'usual' August Med. Vacation. The only 'fixed' event that I can think will require their prescence in London is Friday 9 September 2011, Graduation day when Beatrice is due to collect her BA degree.

Eugenie will have to return to University [usually late September].

In the light of the above, your guess is as good as mine: I would speculate Canada in Mid August and then Balmoral after that for a few days and then back to London for the Graduation Ceremony. Usually, Graduands get two or sometimes three tickets to the Ceremony. I would speculate that this will involve the Duke and Sarah; Eugenie will probably get some sort of dispensation to attend if Beatrice is only entitled theoretically to two tickets.

Alex
Thanks for the information about Beatrice's graduation. I think I and a few other people were curious about when she would graduate.

Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are reported to be in Canada right now. That would fit with an earlier article that said they were expected to be in Yellowknife "later in July." Northern Canada being what it is at this time of year - lots of mosquitoes and black flies! - I don't imagine they'll spend more than a week or so on this canoeing trip. Unless Andrew and his daughters plan to go on a vacation elsewhere in Canada after their canoe trip, I would think they'll be back in England in time for Balmoral.

Duke of York drops trade role after years of criticism - Telegraph

Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Thank you for that rmay.

Will they not be going to Zara's wedding, which is very soon? Or do you think Andrew & the girls will return to Canada afterwards to continue with their vacation?

Alex

Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Thanks for the information about Beatrice's graduation. I think I and a few other people were curious about when she would graduate.

Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are reported to be in Canada right now. That would fit with an earlier article that said they were expected to be in Yellowknife "later in July." Northern Canada being what it is at this time of year - lots of mosquitoes and black flies! - I don't imagine they'll spend more than a week or so on this canoeing trip. Unless Andrew and his daughters plan to go on a vacation elsewhere in Canada after their canoe trip, I would think they'll be back in England in time for Balmoral.

Duke of York drops trade role after years of criticism - Telegraph

Thanks rmay. According to the BBC they are due back next week in time for Zara's wedding. Looking forward to August Kate Nicholl (Daily Mail) had a piece maybe a month ago that the family would be going to Sotograde (Spain) in early August in or around Beatrice's birthday.
She then added that Andrew and the girls would spend time in Balmoral towards the end of August. If the DM just wanted to fill space they could be taking a guess because that's more or less what they have done in recent years.
Hope Canada is enjoyable for them but a trip similar to what he shared with Sarah in 1987 on what would have been his 25th Wedding anniversary. Bittersweet for Andrew I would have thought.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

I think it's sweet that Andrew wanted to take Beatrice and Eugenie canoeing with him. Apparently, the 1987 trip to Yellowknife with Sarah was inspired by an earlier canoeing trip Andrew had made with his classmates from Lakefield College. I've also heard that he still keeps in touch with those classmates. So for me, as a Canadian, it's nice to know that Andrew's connection to Canada is real - a bond that goes beyond official visits.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank You kakieanne. Mistified about why I seem to be caught up with the implication that someone is a child rapist, but there you are.

I am not sure about the dates that The Duke and The Princesses are due to go to Balmoral: generally speaking, there is usually a good 'Royal Presence' at the Braemar Gathering [often referred to, a little inaccurately, in the press as the Braemar Highland Games] which this year takes place on 3 September.

Obviously there will be a full family gathering for the wedding of Zara and Mike, so that moves us on to August. There seems to be a trend for the younger royals to spend August abroad. Various 'combinations of Yorks' have over the years turned up somewhere on the Med [Spain, South of France] during August. I am not sure whether Canada is intended as a 'substitute' for or an 'add on' to the 'usual' August Med. Vacation. The only 'fixed' event that I can think will require their presence in London is Friday 9 September 2011, Graduation day when Beatrice is due to collect her BA degree.

Eugenie will have to return to University [usually late September].

In the light of the above, your guess is as good as mine: I would speculate Canada in mid August and then Balmoral after that for a few days and then back to London for the Graduation Ceremony. Usually, Graduands get two or sometimes three tickets to the Ceremony. I would speculate that this will involve the Duke and Sarah; Eugenie will probably get some sort of dispensation to attend if Beatrice is only entitled theoretically to two tickets. I am not sure whether the Queen will attend - she did of course see her grandson William graduate from St Andrews and as she is fond of the two York daughters she might wish to be there for Beatrice. Unless the presence of Sarah is deemed too controversial.

Hope this helps in sorting out Prince Andrew's likely whereabouts for the summer.

Alex

I just hope the man gets a chance to get some rest & spend some time with just his daugther's and not feel the need to worry about what he is going to do in life from here. I am sure those discussions have been have been had & he will eventually assume his new role whatever that that is. That job as trade rep had a heavy travel schedule and to do it for 10 years would wear anyone out. Maybe now now he can get his house in order & still do his duty but have a life of his own also.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Majesty

I suspect that he might have planned this trip to get out of the way and able to relax after the news of his stepping down. If he were out-and-about somewhere now, I think that he would be hounded. On a remote camping trip, a person can really disappear.

Also, it's a wonderful way for him to spend time with his daughters before Beatrice graduates and is officially in the adult, post-graduate world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Princess Sonya View Post
I just hope the man gets a chance to get some rest & spend some thime with just his daugther's and not feel the need to worry about what he is going to do in life from here.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that any of the Queen's children are allowed to rest on their laurels.
A new job will be found for Andrew, and Edward and Charles are already committed, as is the Princess Royal.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Majesty

I like Russophile's idea of him doing some sort of work to support the UK's Armed Forces and perhaps those of the Commonwealth as well. It's one area where he definitely has useful experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
A new job will be found for Andrew, and Edward and Charles are already committed, as is the Princess Royal.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Please note that some posts have been deleted and/or edited to remove some of the off topic posts (i.e. location of Sarah and Andrew's honeymoon and Finding Sarah) as well as some very RUDE posts toward your fellow members.

Please treat everyone with respect even if you disagree with their opinions.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

A BBC article about Andrew's ten years in the job:

BBC News - Prince Andrew: Envoy career plagued with controversy
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Le prince Andrew quitte ses fonctions au commerce extérieur britannique » Noblesse & Royautés

Probably not only because of corruption scandal of Sarah, but also his own connection with pedophille Joseph Epstein, I suppose.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you for that rmay.

Will they not be going to Zara's wedding, which is very soon? Or do you think Andrew & the girls will return to Canada afterwards to continue with their vacation?

Alex
Thanks for your previous message on the Yorks' family holidays. I had forgotten about Beatrice's graduation.

Agree with rmay that they probably won't be in Northern Canada for any length of time. With the flies and mosquitoes, I can't see it being Beatrice and Eugenie's favourite place to visit and it will be cold at night. It's a long flight over here and then another long flight to northern Canada, so I can't see them returning.

I would think that the three of them would be attending Zara's wedding. They would have been invited. But if they do attend, it will probably be the Duke's first public appearance since stepping down from his trade position, so maybe not. They may just use the excuse that they are in northern Canada.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Princess Sonya View Post
I just hope the man gets a chance to get some rest & spend some time with just his daugther's and not feel the need to worry about what he is going to do in life from here. I am sure those discussions have been have been had & he will eventually assume his new role whatever that that is. That job as trade rep had a heavy travel schedule and to do it for 10 years would wear anyone out. Maybe now now he can get his house in order & still do his duty but have a life of his own also.
I am interested to find out from the more educated a few things re Andrew's position, when Charles becomes King what with that power could he actually force upon Andrew? - e.g. without wanting to rehash the whole remarriage to Sarah debate what I'd like to know is from a (I suppose) legal viewpoint could he actually technically/literally do anything to prevent it? Royal Lodge was formely the Queen Mother's residence but is it now Andrew's for as long as he wants it and is free to have who he wants living it in? Could Charles force Sarah or indeed Andrew himself out? Alternatively are there things that Charles can huff and puff all his wants but can't do anything about if Andrew was strong, determined and stood his ground. Where I'm coming from and what I've been musing is the possibility that Andrew mighn't have the same respect or close relationship with Charles as he does with his mother, and therefore would upsetting or going against Charles wishes bother him as much especially if he has the hump because he feels his daughters are being singled out or treated unfairly when it comes to family decisions.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this is something for the (hopefully very distant) future.

But if I had to speculate, I would say that Charles could exercise what influence he might (or might not) have. However, given Charles' rather bumbling ways, his siblings would find it relatively easy to circumvent his demands.

But none of this may happen. The Queen would make her own dispositions which would probably make everything easier - for the Family and the Country.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I like Russophile's idea of him doing some sort of work to support the UK's Armed Forces and perhaps those of the Commonwealth as well. It's one area where he definitely has useful experience.

I think that is a good idea as well. Andrew was a good pilot, he needs to go back to the military where his strengths lie
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I am interested to find out from the more educated a few things re Andrew's position, when Charles becomes King what with that power could he actually force upon Andrew? - e.g. without wanting to rehash the whole remarriage to Sarah debate what I'd like to know is from a (I suppose) legal viewpoint could he actually technically/literally do anything to prevent it? Royal Lodge was formely the Queen Mother's residence but is it now Andrew's for as long as he wants it and is free to have who he wants living it in? Could Charles force Sarah or indeed Andrew himself out? Alternatively are there things that Charles can huff and puff all his wants but can't do anything about if Andrew was strong, determined and stood his ground. Where I'm coming from and what I've been musing is the possibility that Andrew mighn't have the same respect or close relationship with Charles as he does with his mother, and therefore would upsetting or going against Charles wishes bother him as much especially if he has the hump because he feels his daughters are being singled out or treated unfairly when it comes to family decisions.

Royal Lodge is a grace and favor residence, so I suppose Charles could put his foot down and force Fergie out.

But the question is, would he?
Fergie is not popular but that course of action would make Charles look like a bully.

Otoh, Andrew always seems strapped for cash, and Charles will hold the purse strings. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

(If Phillip outlives the Queen, it wouldn't bode well for Fergie).
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Courtier

According to a little blurb in The National Enquirer here, Prince Andrew has been begging his mummy to let Fergie attend events with him and the girls.

HM is a person of great thought and very slow action, so she may just decide let this go until Charles takes over.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It's hard to take seriously anything the National Enquirer posts as fact.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
It's hard to take seriously anything the National Enquirer posts as fact.
Then I guess the whole John Edwards love child story that they broke, along with the Schwarzeneggar bastard child, were untrue?

Like it or not, the NE has gone from rubbish to on-the-mark. I wonder myself, though, if this story isn't some trial balloon being sent up to test the appetite, and in a "friendly" market (specifically the US, which theoretically "likes" Sarah.)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
Then I guess the whole John Edwards love child story that they broke, along with the Schwarzeneggar bastard child, were untrue?
Well I draw the line if it comes out in the NE that Andrew really is a Roswell alien child. I mean it NaP! Line in the sand. Not going any further. Nut-uh! No sirree.

This however rather belongs more in Fergie's thread than Andrews however it is about him as well.
Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson has 'cleared her debts' thanks to Prince Andrew | Mail Online