Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard about it either. It sounds like a brilliant idea though. I've always thought that there should be more to education in our schools. I think giving kids bigger and greater opportunities through their schools would properly prepare them for the world.

Strangely one of the first schools to join this organisation in Australia was my old boarding school and my brother's school as well so I have been hearing about this organisation for about 30 years now.

Andrew has also a connection to Outward Bound - both of which have strong links back to Gordonstoun but most people only think of Edward and the DoE Awards with this sort of thing (Philip had been patron of both DoE and Outward Bound of course).

On October 11 the Duke of York, on behalf of the Queen, presented the Chatham House Prize at the Award Ceremony in the Banqueting House, Whitehall, London.

This year's winner was Hillary Clinton who received the prize "in recognition of her significant and impressive contribution to international diplomacy as US Secretary of State and her work on behalf of gender equality and opportunities for women and girls".

** Pic ** Chatham House Prize 2013 Award Ceremony: gallery ** chathamhouse.org **

The Duke of York sighted leaving Lulu Restaurant in Mayfair on October 18:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I heard that Duke Andrew and Fergi were getting remarried? Is that true????

There has been speculation this past summer, because Sarah went to Balmoral the weekend immediately after Beatrice's 25th birthday.

There has been no announcement - just rumours and speculation.

Situation then is - maybe - but probably not.

On November 1 the Duke of York hosted a dinner on the occasion of the 3rd Turkey-Britain Tatlidil Forum and received the President of the Republic of Turkey Abdullah Gül and his wife at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. On November 2 the Duke of York and the President attended the Tatlidil Forum in Edinburgh.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On December 5 the Duke of York as Patron of the Peter Jones Foundation, visited Queen Anne's School in Caversham, Berkshire, to meet entrepreneurs taking part in the Tycoon in Schools enterprise competition.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 3h
Prince Andrew has flown to Qatar today to perform engagements in the country over the next few days, the Court Circular says.

Strangely nothing about this trip on the British monarchy website in either CC or FE - but maybe it will show up tomorrow (according to the FE Andrew has nothing scheduled for the rest of this week - nothing unusual there as this is normal for Andrew to have nothing listed in advance).

:previous:

As to his journey to Qatar:

On December 11 the Duke of York attended the opening ceremony and gala of the World Innovation Summit for Health (WISH) at the Al Shaqab equestrian centre in Doha:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

His couple of engagements in Qatar (4 in total) have been included in this week's update.

The Duke of York has entered the education debate by suggesting university should only be seen as the “icing on the cake” rather than a “route to market” for jobseekers.
The Duke, who is carving out a new role as a champion for apprenticeships, told The Telegraph it is “not true” that universities produce graduates who are trained for the world of work.
The former Royal Navy helicopter pilot, who did not go to university, believes the Government’s roll-out of University Technical Colleges (UTCs), which offer a more vocational education for 14 to 19-year-olds, will turn out teenagers who will have an advantage over many who stay in traditional education.

Duke of York enters education debate by saying university should be 'icing on cake' rather than direct route to jobs - Telegraph

Not exactly sure what Andrew's getting at here. Whether or not to go to university depends to a large extent on what the individual wants to pursue as a career. If they want to be a plumber or mechanic or electrician they need to go to get an apprenticeship and go to technical college, not university, but if they want to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher or professional engineer then they need to go to university.

what he is saying is that in the UK those who do not have a university education and degree are treated as being either stupid or not worth any investment. He is doing something worthwhile here, IMO.

I agree, Cepe, what he's saying makes a lot of sense and I wish the government put more money into apprenticeships.

Yes Roslyn, you do need a university education for certain jobs but emphasis is placed incredibly heavily on going to university in the aim to get a job from your university degree of choice whereas when leaving college or secondary school little is mentioned about alternative routes. When I started Year 10 in secondary school, A-Levels were the only choice presented to those my school deemed "smart enough", for those who weren't academic but were hands on it was the big ol wide world of work for an under 18 year old.
There was little mentioned about BTEC's or NVQ's or appreticeships and it wasn't until the colleges or sixth forms arrived themselves was it even presented as an option.

I know a lot of people who are choosing to go back to college to get a qualification through an apprenticeship because they now can.

Not exactly sure what Andrew's getting at here. Whether or not to go to university depends to a large extent on what the individual wants to pursue as a career. If they want to be a plumber or mechanic or electrician they need to go to get an apprenticeship and go to technical college, not university, but if they want to be a doctor or lawyer or teacher or professional engineer then they need to go to university.

You're right, of course, but many young people go to college just to be educated, with no clear career path ahead of them. They graduate from college, at least in the States, with tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt, and then they can't always get jobs. Being educated is always a good thing, but our high schools routinely try to get every kid to go to college, even though some of them would be better served doing just what Andrew is talking about. Our usual plumber is about 30 years old, and he makes $140,000 a year, and he has no educational debt. (And he doesn't have to live with his parents, either!)

Yes Roslyn, you do need a university education for certain jobs but emphasis is placed incredibly heavily on going to university in the aim to get a job from your university degree of choice whereas when leaving college or secondary school little is mentioned about alternative routes. When I started Year 10 in secondary school, A-Levels were the only choice presented to those my school deemed "smart enough", for those who weren't academic but were hands on it was the big ol wide world of work for an under 18 year old.
There was little mentioned about BTEC's or NVQ's or appreticeships and it wasn't until the colleges or sixth forms arrived themselves was it even presented as an option.

This is interesting. Times have changed. I suspect what we are seeing with Andrew's speech is the wheel turning full circle in a way. Those who decide educational policy may wish to see a change back to an emphasis on vocational education and channeling students into trade courses at an appropriate time in their education rather than pressing for everyone to have a tertiary education. As far as I am aware it didn't reach that stage here, although just about everyone completes high school now and then pursues trade courses if that's the direction they are going to take, which wasn't the case when I left school back in the palaeolithic era when you left after Year 10 if you were going into a trade.

what he is saying is that in the UK those who do not have a university education and degree are treated as being either stupid or not worth any investment. He is doing something worthwhile here, IMO.

This is the result of policy, and can be changed. I suspect he has been engaged to help this change take place. This emphasis on university education is only fairly recent. At least is is here and I am assuming the same is the case in the UK. I know that the situation has been different in the USA.

Last edited:
I graduated 5yrs ago and work at a mostly minimum wage job. Today having a BA isn't good enough, you need an MA to even qualify unless you have a BA and a lot of work experience.

Times do change.

When I was 17 for financial reasons, I knew I couldn't go to university so quit school before I completed my A levels. I applied for 2 jobs and got accepted by both. Both companies offered day-release to college in order to achieve qualifications plus paid work. I chose the one that offered longer term opportunities for qualifications (but slightly less pay), it was an apprenticeship and I signed my "indentures" and off I went.

My company had an average of 70 apprentices a year, normally a total of 200. These covered craft (tool makers and the like), engineering, commercial (me) and graduate (electronics at a uni.). This was made possible by training grants from government. These were stopped in the late 1970's and frank;ly manufacturing has declined ever since.

I am so grateful to those times where I got qualified and could work and support my family.

Sorry for the (personal) history lesson but I felt I should have declared an interest in support what DoY is doing. Purely Academic qualifications do not give the resources required for a country to progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom