The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Courtier

LOL That is really cute and realistic it takes a lot to impress a kid.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

Cute video.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Amazing video The kids are very funny
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Andrew gives new hope to Duke Wellington's old battalion threatened by defence cuts | Mail Online

Quote:
Hopes of saving the Duke of Wellington’s battalion from defence cuts rose last night after Prince Andrew responded publicly to the dispute.
The Duke of York, who is Colonel- in-Chief of the battalion, indicated he knew all about the controversy and spoke of his ‘passionate care’ for its soldiers.
His intervention follows the disclosure in The Mail on Sunday last week of plans to axe the 3rd Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington’s), together with the loss of the name of the man who defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

What a pity that there are so many totally anti-Andrew comments below the article.

Here is a man who has served on the front line during a war, putting his name into the effort to save the name of probably Britain's greatest general from being lost from the army. He should be supported rather than vilified in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

The Duke of York as Patron of the English National Ballet attended the English National Ballet's annual summer party held at Kensington Palace today, June 27, 2012.

** Pic ** gallery **
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Just an observation, but he's wearing what looks to be a safety pin with a dangling medal extremely low on his tie. I can't even say it's a conventional tie tack/pin. Interesting.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Nobility

Besides that weird medal, what happened to the end of his tie? Is is tucked into the waistband of his pants?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Courtier

It does look very odd doesn't it? I wonder why he did that and why no one told him it needs to be a few inches up. Andrew doesn't really strike me as a ballet kind of guy.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

And yet he is the patron of the English National Ballet. As the royals don't take on patronages of things that they don't at least have some interest in it seems a safe bet that he does at least enjoy some of it.

An interesting read: Patron - English National Ballet - The Home of Ballet

I was especially struck by the comment that he is also interested in Contemporary Dance.

And another one: Duke of York is new patron of English National Ballet - Telegraph This is from 2001 when he took on the position of Patron but I found this an enlightening comment.

Angela Rippon, the former newscaster who is chairman of the ENB, described the Duke's passion for ballet. "A lot of people do not realise that he has a genuine interest in the ballet and that he is very, very knowledgeable about it. He has had an association with the company for a number of years and it is a perfect match."

Andrew is also the Patron of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - again something people would find strange but he does have an interest in the arts. It is a pity that we don't get more information about this side of Andrew.

In doing my weekly update on royal engagements I have been struck at the number of times Andrew has a concert or ballet on his list of engagements.

We all know that Edward has taken over a lot of his father's work with The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme but it is Andrew who has taken over his father's work with The Outward Bound Scheme.

There is a lot more to Andrew then it reported in the press - which only concentrates on the negatives rather than the work he does for other organisations and especially for young people.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

It's too bad that more of Andrew's altruistic engagements aren't reported in the press, but sadly it's the emphasis on the negativities that titillates the public and sells more papers. There's always two sides to every coin, but unfortunately the positive side always seems face down in his case.

But I'm still curious about the medal dangling from his tie!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Andrew clocked up £378,000 bill on flights in his last few months as a controversial global ambassador for UK trade and industry | Mail Online
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Administrator

The Duke of York has attended the official inauguration of the newly built London's Shard Tower, the tallest building in Western Europe,
today, July 5, 2012.

The gentleman pictured with him is the Prime Minister of Qatar, Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jabor Al Thani - Qatar has provided financing.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** itv.com: Mayor attends opening of the Shard ** BBC: London's Shard skyscraper officially unveiled **
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been watching the Shard take shape since they were demolishing the old building and digging the basements. It has been a truly remarkable construction and has become London's newest icon. The Shangri-La hotel which has taken several of the middle floors will have the most amazing views in London. I hope to stay there one day if only for the view.

I'm sure there's no coincidence that Prince Andrew was chosen to open this building given the huge investment by the Qatari government.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Courtier

I hope most are happy with it. Today was the first day I saw it. I like it. London is full of unique things over a long period of time. In say Barcelona, it would not stand out. Andrew got the investors in? I read where they are not pressed for time to full occupancy. Qatar RF. That will give them time to get quallty tenants.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Duke of York is in York today to mark the cities 800th birthday! I'll be hoping to grab a look at him as I'm off shopping today.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Have you been successful?

The Duke of York as Patron of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance opened their Northern Airbase at Royal Air Force Topcliffe, Thirsk yesterday, July 9:

** Pic ** thenorthernecho.co.uk article and video: HRH The Duke of York has opened new Yorkshire Air Ambulance base **

As Patron of the York Mystery Plays 2012 he visited the set at the Yorkshire Museum. He viewed the York 800 Archives at the York Explore Centre and attended a reception to mark the 800th Anniversary of the granting of a Royal Charter to York.

** yorkpress.co.uk: Prince Andrew in York for York 800 celebrations **

** Fotostream City of York Council UK **

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Aristocracy

the video is cute but those other photos of him he looks kinda disheveled wrinkled and yes unfortunately he rushed the loo visit and caught his tie in his pants!!! so shocking I feel a little bit sick.......... and who pinned the tiepin level with his navel??? Im just not understanding why???
Is it just me or has the York family fashion really gone down hill they just arent cutting the mustard for royal attire anymore. :(
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

On July 10 in London The Duke of York helped Yelp, the company that connects consumers with great local businesses, announce the expansion of their UK presence with the opening of their new sales office.

v The Duke of York and Jed Nachman, Senior Vice President of Revenue at Yelp, announce Yelp's new offices in London on Tuesday, July 10th.

Image provided to TRF courtesy of Yelp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Duke of York and Jed Nachman.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	286028  
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of York is taking part in a sponsored abseiling descent of the Shard in London in aid of the Outward Bound Trust and the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund. Yikes!

More on this web site

Home (descentoftheshard.com)

Further information from The Times

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/u...cle3474350.ece

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread