Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was in the Sunday Times - they explained that the issue was raised by someone who is anti-royal.

Frankly, education is irrelevant when it comes to electing Royals - Yes, Charles and William have a degree but Anne doesn't, Philip left school and went into the navy at 18 (like Andrew) and the Queen was educated at home. Why pick on Andrew.

It doesn't mean they can't contribute.

Andrew would have had to have some science understanding to fly helicopters off ships - harder than off land - as the rolling of the deck etc has to be taken into consideration along with wind conditions (Harry only has to deal with the wind not a rolling deck that Andrew had to deal with).

Andrew has promoted scientific endeavours, which is why he was put forward but that doesn't wash to many members as they can't see past the name to what the man is interested in and has actually achieved.

I would be very surprised if all the members ever actually actively voted on any new Fellow, whoch I suspect accounts for the abstentions.

In one article on this I read that 85% of those who voted voted for him (yes I am aware that there was no "NO" on the ballot paper) and a comment that that was a good turn-out of voters for a 'democracy'.

Now maybe because I live in a country with compulsory voting where the normal turn-out for an election is 98%+ I find the level of absentia hardly symptomatic of an effective democracy at all.

Well, congrats to HRH The Duke of York on being elected as a Royal Fellow.

"HRH The Duke York KG GCVO has been elected a Royal Fellow of the Society for his long interest in science and its applications, and his strong and active support of many of the activities of the Society."

Royal Fellows of the Royal Society | Royal Society

It seems to me that there's only one person who's gone on record as being opposed to or disgusted by Andrew's election here.

The electoral process may be kind of questionable, but if they make it clear that if you send back a ballot that is marked in some way but hasn't been checked off yes then they take it as a no vote, I don't see the process as being really problematic. You get a slip of paper, you either check yes or you make a scribble of some sort - or even write no - and send it back in. Then your vote is recorded and when they're tallied up the results are in.

85% of the people who voted said yes. That's a majority - and in my opinion, the people who chose not to vote need to suck it up (although, everything that I've read seems to indicate that most people don't care and the ones who are making a fuss about it are the ones who voted no and therefore lost this election).

As to what this says about the royals, democracy, or society as a whole - absolutely nothing. The Royal Society of Science is not an organization that is, to the best of my understanding, publicly financed. It is not require in any way to undertake democratic principles. It is a fellowship of scientists who have in their power the ability to nominate royal fellows - which seem like they're simply honourary fellows with a special title. Do we actually know how many people vote on the honourary positions? If they have a history of low voter turn out then this just means that Andrew's election showed voter apathy (on the part of those who didn't vote) and poor losing (on the part of those making a fuss about it).

Agreed. I remember the fire at Windsor Castle and Andrew being on site and helping to remove things. He was there at the time because he was doing research on something. Some journalists sneered, "What could he possibly be researching?" Windsor Castle Fire - YouTube

Andrew would have had to have some science understanding to fly helicopters off ships - harder than off land - as the rolling of the deck etc has to be taken into consideration along with wind conditions (Harry only has to deal with the wind not a rolling deck that Andrew had to deal with).

TheBritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 2h
The Duke of York joined future entrepreneurs to launch The Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Awards in Huddersfield

https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/status/336888710660489220/photo/1

TheBritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 2h
HRH has opened The Duke of York Young Entrepreneur Centre at the University of Huddersfield @HuddersfieldUni

Patrick Stewart ‏@SirPatStew 2h
Visit by the Duke of York today to open Huddersfield University's 3M Buckley Innovation Centre a great success. Proud to be Chancellor.

Last edited:
I agree. It's a great site and it's obvious that he is very proud of his two daughters. That's a great sign in a man!

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO but I disagree. I think posting personal pics just invites the press to be more intrusive.
In fairness I should say that I also disaagree with people posting personal pics on Facebook and other social media. I dont think they understand the amount of privacy they give up for themselves, family and friends.

Well, I really don't mean the royals should post very personal photos on the Monarchy website but at least help give the site a more welcoming feel to it. I liked the way the Danish royals had their website, especially Frederik & Mary. They seem to be really proud to show off their beautiful growing family. They also update their site with official portraits. The British royal family really don't take many official portraits or official photos and freshen up their site. I think the site is too dull.

Okay, I got off track here, lol.

The British monarchy website includes up to date photos of the doings of the royal family.

I have tosay I don't see why Andrew needs his own website when Anne, Edward and Sophie don't. I can see why Charles has his own for him adn his family.
I wonder how much it costs...

I have tosay I don't see why Andrew needs his own website when Anne, Edward and Sophie don't. I can see why Charles has his own for him adn his family.

I can set up a website right now and it costs didley squat. Andrew already has staff, all of whom must be computer literate so he doesn't have to hire anyone new.

It is a futile exercise. People have already formed their opinion about Prince Andrew and are unlikely to change them.

The same could have been said about Charles and Camilla in the 90s, but the two have gone on to revitalize their images. Andrew's made mistakes, but he's trying to draw focus to what he's done well.

It you read the royal central article (link in post#474 by me) it says that the costs are met privately.

The same could have been said about Charles and Camilla in the 90s, but the two have gone on to revitalize their images. Andrew's made mistakes, but he's trying to draw focus to what he's done well.
Prince Charles is the Crown Prince. He is somewhat useful. He tries hard to be perceived as the valuable asset to the UK, tries hard to endear himself and his current wife to the British public like cheap present loving UK politicians.
Prince Andrew was just a spare. Now he is just a useless member of the British royal family, who carries some engagements on behalf of the British royal family. The aforementioned engagements may come to an end once Prince Charles ascends the throne. The same future may await Prince Henry after this summer.

Last edited:
So your analogy applies to all spares in all monarchies yes? They're all useless? Or is it just the BRF?
If this is the case a monarchy should be made up of the monarch, heir and next heir yes? Because every other member is 'useless'. LOL!

Actually I do think that all spares are useless nowadays. The spares were of some use when an heir could be killed in a war or died of natural causes at an early age, and people thought that the all members of a royal family brought some value. These days have been long gone. Belgium has already stated that the only person, who is going to get a government stipend (allowance), is Crown Prince/Princess. Other children of a monarch are advised to pursue careers in a private field.
As for Prince Andrew, all his attempts to rehabilitate his image will be useless.

Last edited:
...Prince Andrew was just a spare. Now he is just a useless member of the British royal family, who carries some engagements on behalf of the British royal family...
Actually with the exception of HMQ, that is what all the members of the BRF do. And "some" engagements is in fact a significant number - in excess of 500 I think.

It you read the royal central article (link in post#474 by me) it says that the costs are met privately.

True and to be honest my point about howmuch it cost was really more along thelines of,,,,it is worth it whoever pays for it? Personally Ijust don't see the point in him having his own website, most the things on there are similar or the same as on the main Royal Family website. If he wants to upload more pictures/comments (and Ihave to say the Royal FAmily could do with putting some more imaginative, different pictures online ratherthan the same old ones they put on) maybe he could speak to the people working on the main website rather than making his own. Personally I feel it appears as if he is trying to "big himself up" and look more important than Anne and Edward.
But thats just what I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom