The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Majesty

I think it's drivel. For one thing, Diana's dress wasn't "slinky and sequined." It was fushia taffeta. Granted, it was more slim-line than her dresses were at that time, but hardly "slinky." There's a picture of it in Elizabeth Emanuel's book. I remember a poster on another board saying that Catherine Oxenburg claimed to be on the BP balcony, which she never was. Plus, given that Oxenburg wasn't a prince or princess herself, she'd be expected to curtsy to one. She's not an HRH or even an HSH.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Courtier

I also find it very hard to believe Andrew would propose to someone he hadn't really dated. I doubt it was serious. Sounds more like Barbara Cartland novel plot.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

At age 21 I doubt Andrew was thinking about marrying any woman. Bedding her probably but wedding, I don't believe it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Nobility

I don't think that is actually Catherine Oxenberg's blog. It doesn't seem very professional in either design or writing style. I've never seen an actress' site that doesn't include basics like a picture, list of past projects etc.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, March 13, the Duke of York visited Emma Willis Limited in Gloucester, GE Aviation in
Cheltenham and Moog Controls Limited in Tewkesbury.

** Duke of York backs Gloucestershire businesses **

On March 8, he - among other engagements - paid a visit to Newcastle-under-Lyme College (NULC).

** NULC celebrates visit by His Royal Highness the Duke of York ** gallery **

** Local employers invited to meet His Royal Highness the Duke of York **
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Today, March 16, the Duke of York attended a parade and a service at The Minster Church of St Denys
in Warminster. The regiment who held the parade through Warminster Town centre will deploy to Afghanistan.

** Pic ** daylife gallery **

** gazetteandherald.co.uk: Duke of York joins townspeople to say farewell to Warminster soldiers **
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York had dinner at 34 restaurant in London, March 20, 2012.

** Pic ** zimbio gallery ** wenn gallery **
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York visited COM DEV Europe in Aylesbury on March 27 to see engineers at work
on the latest equipment soon to be launched into space.

** Pic ** His Royal Highness Visits Global Designer and Manufacturer of Space Hardware **
Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Courtier

Thank you Iceflower. Nice to see Prince Andrew out and about again.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Please note that usual posts regarding Andrew sharing his life with someone (as well as the inevitable Sarah was a train wreck, will they remarry, Phillip will have to die before that happens, ETC) have been deleted as off topic.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

I am interested in people's opinions about what Andrew's role will be when Charles becomes king. I've been reading that Charles is interested in cutting down the number of working royals, to just he, Camilla, and his sons and their families. Opinions, any one?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle View Post
I am interested in people's opinions about what Andrew's role will be when Charles becomes king. I've been reading that Charles is interested in cutting down the number of working royals, to just he, Camilla, and his sons and their families. Opinions, any one?
Until William and Harry's children are of age to engagements, Charles will have to choose between cutting away his siblings roles or cutting down the number of engagements the royal family do. I interpreted that his apparent "cutting down" was in regards to the likes of Eugenie, Beatrice, Louise and James even the extended royals such as the Kents and Gloucesters.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Courtier

The Kents and Glouchesters should just retire gracefully, leaving Charles's siblings to do the work.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

All of the Queen's children are already doing all the hard work, but Kents and Gloucesters have their place too. Given their advanced age, their retirement time will come just as the new generation of royals will be ready to become full-time working royals. And by new generation I mean William, Kate, Harry and Harry's future wife; the future of York Princesses in that picture is quite unclear, and the Wessex kids will almost definitely be out of it altogether.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
The Kents and Glouchesters should just retire gracefully, leaving Charles's siblings to do the work.
Why? The Queens cousins have been supporting her and the monarchy for decades. Their engagements may be fewer and less high profile but as long as they are healthy and want to do the work, and the organizations they support feel there is value in it, I see no reason why they should be forced into any kind of retirement.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Alexandra is 76 this year and has cut back massively. The Duke of Kent, aged 77 is also cutting back. The Gloucesters are younger - closer in age to Charles and Camilla than to their cousin The Queen and so are still working.

Why should they have to give up their jobs of a lifetime?

Charles and his siblings already carry most of the load. Of the 1249 engagements done this year 724 have been done by The Queen, Charles and his siblings. So these 5 royals are doing 58% of the engagements. Add in the spouses of these five individuals and there is another 287 or 23% of the total engagements. So currently 81% of engagements are being done by The Queen, her children and their spouses. The few engagements being done by The Queen's cousins and her grandchildren add to the total of 19%.

When there is reference to cutting down the size of the royal family under Charles it has been made clear that he doesn't include his siblings in that. In other words he expects his brothers and sister, and presumably Sophie, to continue working. William and Kate will probably start full-time duties in a couple of years (although I wouldn't be surprised to see William stay in the RAF until 2017 when the SAR is privatised) and I expect Harry to remain in the army for another 20 years or so. That means on two new, maybe three, newies to pick up the work currently being done by the 6 members of the family older than Charles (excluding Camilla).
Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York with Politburo member Liu Yandong and Li Changchun, head of propaganda and member
of the Politburo Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China, launched a China market focus
event at the London book fair on April 15, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Andrew still hopes to represent British trade, even though it is no longer an official role. But,he is still going to be attacked by those who thinks that he travels too much in order to visit the other countries. He is going to be attacked no matter what he does; Andrew seems to be the royal targeted for negative attention, even when he is trying to do something positive.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle View Post
Andrew still hopes to represent British trade, even though it is no longer an official role. But,he is still going to be attacked by those who thinks that he travels too much in order to visit the other countries. He is going to be attacked no matter what he does; Andrew seems to be the royal targeted for negative attention, even when he is trying to do something positive.
This is so true. Looking at Iluvbertie's tally of just how many events that Andrew does, I was really surprised at the number of engagements he has done so far this year. What we end up seeing from the press always seems to play on something negative if they can't find some kind of scandal to scare up.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Andrew has been one of the hardest workers for a few years, his number of engagements has been very high for sometime. Problem for Andrew is that the press do not take him seriously and because of comments he has made or others about him and of course the airmiles Andy tag he often get's treated like a joke. Maybe in a few years they will look back and see that he was a hard worker but they won't be doing the Yorks any favours anytime soon. Sadly they give them enough ammunition to make such negative comments about them.

Closed Thread