The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Why does he look so formal was it for a meeting? You never see him really dressed down or relaxed.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

That is relaxed for Andrew.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
OMG The Duke of York actually smiling, I really never thought it was possible.
He has the same smile as Beatrice.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Andrew has risked causing another political controversy by poking fun at EU nations plunged into chaos by the collapse of the euro.

Read more: 'At least we've our own currency': Prince Andrew pokes fun at EU nations suffering from collapse of Euro | Mail Online
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

As all royal family speeches are vetted and approved by the government, except for the Queen's Christmas Address, this is the view of the government - to sell Britain because their economy is better than some other European countries and they do have a different currency - stating facts actually.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Majesty

These seem to have been comments made at a private cocktail party, according to the DM article. IMO Andrew's comments are appropriate, especially given that he was there to drum up business for the UK.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I would think the furor the comments caused was more because they are true and the EU is not happy with it. However it is reality. France and Austria were recently downgraded from AAA to AA+ status. Italy is trying to sell it's debt to stay afloat. Greece keeps swirling the drain. The EU is in serious trouble. The remarks, IMO are spot on. Russo is just surprised that PA is in the capacity of envoy. I rather thought PA's days of that were finished.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Majesty

Agreed. PA was speaking the truth, although apparently in jest. AFAIK he no longer has the Special Representative title, but he still makes trips abroad. I think that he has been making more appearances in the UK as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I would think the furor the comments caused was more because they are true and the EU is not happy with it. However it is reality. France and Austria were recently downgraded from AAA to AA+ status. Italy is trying to sell it's debt to stay afloat. Greece keeps swirling the drain. The EU is in serious trouble. The remarks, IMO are spot on.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

I don't see Prince Andrew's comments as poking fun at Europe. Some of the credit standings of various European countries aren't very good and they are sensitive to and become defensive when this is brought out. I remember a report on NPR (National Public Radio in US) that had a report about the European financial situation and people that were interviewed downplayed certain mistakes that were done or became somewhat defensive about it.

A person or persons at the cocktail party didn't like the comments that Prince Andrew made and made it an issue. Why else would this appear in the newspapers.

Since he represents Britain, of course he would say invest in Britain regardless of how well other European economies are doing.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Majesty

It is understandable to some European countries could be offended by Prince Andrew's remarks. The UK is the preferred place to invest for new rich Russians. It is puzzling as to why Prince Andrew was secretive about the meeting with President Aliev.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Administrator

On Thursday, February 2nd, the Duke of York has been in Oxford among others to meet apprentices
at Oxford and Cherwell Valley College's Blackbird Leys campus. His visit was part of work aimed at
supporting apprenticeship schemes and encouraging young people to develop skills.

** oxfordmail.co.uk: Duke: Why young need these skills **

He also visited SAE Institute World Headquarters, SAE Institute Oxford:

** Pic ** Prins Andrew öppnade mediacenter **
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Commoner

I am sorry if this picture has already been posted. I have not found!
LOOK THAT...

I just posted this picture because I'm in favor of protecting the polar bears. I would not bother to protect this exemplar in my house until the glaciers restore.
(Sorry my English)

By: Grizzly Andrew: Duke grows grand old beard during 12-day wilderness trek
Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by waflw5 View Post
I am sorry if this picture has already been posted. I have not found!
LOOK THAT...

I just posted this picture because I'm in favor of protecting the polar bears. I would not bother to protect this exemplar in my house until the glaciers restore.
(Sorry my English)

By: Grizzly Andrew: Duke grows grand old beard during 12-day wilderness trek
*shudders* That is hideous. (Is that too harsh a word?) None of the Windsor met suit facial hair, especially that awful period when William grew a beard. They look much more refined without facial hair. Prince Haakon I feel is the only Royal who suits facial hair. He looks especially handsome because of his facial hair.

I know the Windsor men don't tend to have a lot of hair on their head, they definitely do not suit facial hair.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

On a 12 day canoe trip in the Canadian Arctic one tends not to shave, hence the facial hair on Prince Andrew. It wasn't a fashion statement.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Commoner

Let me see...

hummm

I don`t like beards and mustaches but I think (with the exception of the protruding belly), almost everything is perfect for him.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

I love the look!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Majesty

Ah yes...when I was in my early 20s and late teens, we thought that Prince Andrew was dashing and glamorous. I had a boss once who was bowled over by his good looks when she saw him at a formal event in the 80s. Interesting how the perceptions of a public person change over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waflw5 View Post
Let me see...

hummm

I don`t like beards and mustaches but I think (with the exception of the protruding belly), almost everything is perfect for him.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, yes. Very swashbuckling with the facial hair....in his younger years.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Commoner

Why does the topic related to Yorks is so short? Some photos have already seen some years ago are no longer here!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

This current topic is thread 7 and has only been going since July 2011.

The earlier 6 threads are available elsewhere on the site. It you go to page 1 of this thread there will be a link to thread 6 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-25534-34.html which covers the period November 2009 to July 2011.

Closed Thread