Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Today, March 29, the Duke of York has visited CSR, a leading manufacturer
of wireless technology, based in Cambridge.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

It says it was awarded before the whole hoopla so this isn't a response as much as just going about business. I wonder why Edward got his first.

And I wonder why Charles never got one at all. I mean, Charles isn't my cup of tea, but you can't say that the guys doesn't work his ears off for Queen and country.

Maybe it's cause he's a member of the Order of the Garter. Andrew and Edward are only extras.

merged posts

It says it was awarded before the whole hoopla so this isn't a response as much as just going about business. I wonder why Edward got his first.

Edward didn't get his first.

Andrew's was announced at the time of his birthday this year. This is just the official awarding of what had already been announced. Andrew was actually told he was getting it on his birthday but it was announced a day or so later.

Edward hasn't had the official investiture yet - as far as I am aware - as his was only announced on his birthday this month - a month after Andrew's was announced. Interestingly is the fact that Sophie got it last year.

Maybe it's cause he's a member of the Order of the Garter. Andrew and Edward are only extras.

Andrew and Edward are both also Members of the Order of the Garter - having both been awarded that honour together in 2006.

It seems that the Queen gives awards to both her younger sons in the same year rather than at the same ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I wonder why Charles never got one at all. I mean, Charles isn't my cup of tea, but you can't say that the guys doesn't work his ears off for Queen and country.

I think it might be that as Charles will one day head the order.

Some honours have come to Charles already because he is the heir e.g. being a Knight of the Garter was automatic when he was created Prince of Wales in 1958 and others will be automatic on becoming King so maybe the Queen doesn't always feel the need to acknowledge her heir's work but does wish to honour her other children.

Well he's not doing enough because they are still there and still LARGE.
:lol:
I agree, Charles has done much for Queen and country. I had hoped that Andrew would follow in his footsteps and even briefly corresponded with PA hoping that he would follow along with his brother and sister's lead and do more with the troops however not much has panned out. More's the pity.

The Duke of York visits Indonesia from April 5-7, 2011 in his capacity as the
UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.

Today, April 6, he has met with Indonesian Economic Minister Hatta Rajasa
(1&2) and Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa in Jakarta, Indonesia.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Interesting article. As the older of two, male over female, I can attest to the older taken more of a beaten, partially from a parent honing their skills, but I never thought about how that translated to things such as titles. Makes you wonder about how Edward VIII must've felt knowing his father preferred his younger brother to him on the throne.

Opens up the discussion of Andrew controlling himself and how that might not happen because of his lofty position.

The Duke of York with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
after their meeting at the State Palace in Jakarta on 07 April 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Prince Andrew: Business leaders write open letter backing Royal in UK trade envoy role | Mail Online

Andrew gets backing from those who see the results of his work.

Some quotes from the article:

'We all value what the Duke has done and want him to continue in his role, which we believe is especially important in the current economic climate.'

'To dismiss the work he has done on behalf of this country over the past 11 years is not acceptable. The Duke has worked hard flying the flag for this country and in this age of austerity his contribution is more valuable than ever. We should be applauding him, not trying to bring him down.'

'The commentary in the media regarding the Duke of York has ignored the good work that the Duke does in the Middle East and other places around the world to promote British business and also to help the country respond to this difficult economic period through a trade-led recovery,'

The DM publishes positive stuff about Andrew for a change - although that had to get the negative stuff in first of course.

Last edited:
Prince Andrew needs to learn that he must not only be above reproach, he must be seen to be above reproach. If he's doing good work for the British economy, fair enough. I applaud him for that. But he must avoid even the appearance of making personal profit from his connections. Eventually, the scandal over the recent headlines will die down; but he does still have a couple of decades--at least--of possible working years ahead of him. If he wants to be remembered as a positive figure, he'll have to be much wiser in whom he associates with.

Prince Andrew needs to learn that he must not only be above reproach, he must be seen to be above reproach. If he's doing good work for the British economy, fair enough. I applaud him for that. But he must avoid even the appearance of making personal profit from his connections. Eventually, the scandal over the recent headlines will die down; but he does still have a couple of decades--at least--of possible working years ahead of him. If he wants to be remembered as a positive figure, he'll have to be much wiser in whom he associates with.

Most of the people that he has been criticised for associating with are leaders within countries with which Britain wants to do business - in other words he associated with them because the government wants him to do so (I am not including Epstein in that criteria of course) but people like the Gaddafis are leaders within an oil rich nation so of course he has to associate with them. He can't pick and choose as the government says 'make connections in this country so we can do business with them' - and the leaders as tyrants etc. What is he to do - say 'look I'll work in democracies but not with the leaders of oppressive regimes. Unfortunately the oppressive regimes are where the business contacts need to be made in order for British business to advance and to get the materials needed to carry on British industry.

Frankly I think he should resign and that that position should be held by a politician like Tony Blair - high profile etc.

I'm thinking more of friends like Epstein. These things affect him personally as well as professionally. He obviously has to do what the government of the day asks him to do. But, if that's the case, the government needs to publicly back him.

He needs to have some kind of a job. He's gone as far in the Navy as he can go.

Unfortunately the oppressive regimes are where the business contacts need to be made in order for British business to advance and to get the materials needed to carry on British industry.

Yes, that's exactly true: the oil is in the Middle East, Russia and Eastern Europe - places known for oppressive regimes. I don't think that this role is good for Andrew in the long run. He may help British businesses, but at the cost of having to socialize with corrupt dictators.

I'm thinking more of friends like Epstein. These things affect him personally as well as professionally. He obviously has to do what the government of the day asks him to do. But, if that's the case, the government needs to publicly back him.

He needs to have some kind of a job. He's gone as far in the Navy as he can go.

He left the navy 10 years ago and took up this job then. This is his job.

Yes, that's what I mean. He's left the navy; and if he were to leave this job, he'd need another one. What else could he possibly do?

He left the navy 10 years ago and took up this job then. This is his job.

Yes, that's what I mean. He's left the navy; and if he were to leave this job, he'd need another one. What else could he possibly do?

Not much - he is in his early 50s - an age when many people find it hard to impossible to change jobs particularly with no employable skills.

Not much - he is in his early 50s - an age when many people find it hard to impossible to change jobs particularly with no employable skills.

I think that has more to do with his overall lack of skills. Not to call him useless but the only other thing he's been known to be good at is golf, (I remember reading that his handicap is so good he could be an instructor) but how does that fit into the firm.?

This may sound off the wall, but couldn't he do fund-raising or promotion for one of the wonderful museums, like the Imperial War Museum or something like that?

He knows so many people who might be persuaded to support an institution like that.

This may sound off the wall, but couldn't he do fund-raising or promotion for one of the wonderful museums, like the Imperial War Museum or something like that?

He knows so many people who might be persuaded to support an institution like that.

I think it'd be best for him to stay away from anything having to do with money.

With his reputation in the gutter at the moment - no organisation would want him in any public capacity.

That is the problem.

If he is forced out of his current position - and at the moment he is weathering the storm - he has nothing else to offer. I said it weeks ago - he probably needs to be retired from public view and look after one of Mummy's estates.

It has been reported that William now no longer talks to him at all and Charles is also furious with him - the future doesn't look good.

Last edited:
It has been reported that William now no longer talks to him at all and Charles is also furious with him - the future doesn't look good.

Do you remember your sources? I'd be quiet interested in reading about this.

Do you remember your sources? I'd be quiet interested in reading about this.
So would I. The BRF is quite closed mouth about anything so it would be interesting to get ahold of the sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom