The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Do you remember your sources? I'd be quiet interested in reading about this.
It was reported on one of the morning TV shows here by one of the royal experts - Dickie Arbiter or the guy that Channel 9 uses.

Plans to keep Prince Andrew away from royal couple - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Royal wedding: Secret plans to keep Prince Andrew away from Prince William and Kate Middleton in run-up to big day - mirror.co.uk

Turmoil in Buckingham as Prince William Separates Himself from Andrew - Article Blast! Free Articles And Content For Reprint On Your Website, Newsletters and Ezines. Submit Your Articles For Free!

All reported within the last month.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
With his reputation in the gutter at the moment - no organisation would want him in any public capacity.
That is the problem.

If he is forced out of his current position - and at the moment he is weathering the storm - he has nothing else to offer. I said it weeks ago - he probably needs to be retired from public view and look after one of Mummy's estates.

I agree with you.I really think he needs to be retired.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
I agree with you.I really think he needs to be retired.
The problem with being retired at 51 with no discernible means of support is how he would live? OK Mummy might be willing to support him but what about his brother and then his nephew?

What happens in 10 years time when he is unemployed, no Mummy and a brother not willing to support him - a prince of the realm living on the streets???
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Majesty

Did Andrew receive any inheritance from the Queen Mother?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post

We don't really know for sure as her will was sealed but... in the normal course of events I would have expected the Queen Mum to have left some sort of trust fund to each of her grandchildren and living great-grandchildren at the time of her death. I would also expect that she would have left more to David Linley and Sarah Chatto and their descendents as they others will also get some inheritance from the Queen but...given Andrew's expenses and the expenses of his ex-wife it is possible that he might already have gone through that - of course he might have invested it wisely and be fine financially. He must be reasonably ok as he doesn't have a paying job.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I've always heard that the QM left almost everything to the Queen.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Nobility

Or he might not have touched it at all. Considering everything of his is all expenses paid I think he would've been more likely to pass that along to his daughters. Now if Sarah had access to that money, well we don't know do we?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It has been reported that William now no longer talks to him at all and Charles is also furious with him - the future doesn't look good.
It's hard to know what rumors are true and what rumors are not. But I think the fact that Sarah was not invited to the wedding says a lot. It's not only an indication of their opinion of Sarah, but also of their opinion of Andrew!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

If Prince Andrew retires from his present job, I'm sure he will find another job. He's only 51 years old (too young to retire). I doubt that in his old age if he fell into financial difficulty (not likely to happen) that the family would throw him out into the street. His daughters would step up to the plate if he needed help.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Gentry

I am sure the Queen will leave Prince Andrew money when she dies. Maybe she already has trust funds in place for her children.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The problem with being retired at 51 with no discernible means of support is how he would live? OK Mummy might be willing to support him but what about his brother and then his nephew?

What happens in 10 years time when he is unemployed, no Mummy and a brother not willing to support him - a prince of the realm living on the streets???
Realy Bertie you make HRH out to be no better qualified to live in the real world than a helpless babe in arms. THe man has resources and friends, albeit some questionable and of dubious reputation however I believe he can manage were he to be cut lose.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Despite their differences, I can't imagine Charles (or William, for that matter) allowing any member of the RF to be reduced to penury. I'm sure some provision would be made for Andrew.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Commoner

He has the millions he made from the sale of Sunningdale. He really is an embarrassment for Britain.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Majesty

It would be deemed expedient for Prince Andrew to retire from the public duties. It would be safe to presume that some of his acquaintances from the CIS countries might help him to invest a smaller part of his fortune into very profitable ventures. This might assist in covering some daily expenses.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Majesty

He must have developed some leadership/management abilities when he was in the navy. He worked in Navy Intelligence, I believe, as well. I don't think that the man's as "dumb as a post."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
THe man has resources and friends, albeit some questionable and of dubious reputation however I believe he can manage were he to be cut lose.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He must have developed some leadership/management abilities when he was in the navy. He worked in Navy Intelligence, I believe, as well. I don't think that the man's as "dumb as a post."
I'd have to disagree with that. I don't know I'd say that he's "dumb as a post" but I don't think he's got very good judgment, and his management skills are uneven. I remember several occasions when Andrew was sent on a somewhat sensitive mission, flubbed it, and Charles had to clean up after him. A massive plane crash was one such occasion.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Majesty

What occasions were these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I remember several occasions when Andrew was sent on a somewhat sensitive mission, flubbed it, and Charles had to clean up after him. A massive plane crash was one such occasion.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Lockerbie, for one.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Lockerbie, for one.

Please explain.

I have been following the royals for over 40 years and have no memory of Andrew ever needing someone to 'clean up' after him.

I know that Wikileaks says that Gaddafi thanked Andrew, the Queen and Mr Brown for the decision but other than that what is there that says that Andrew did the wrong thing over Lockerbie and that Charles then had to clean up after his brother.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Andrew made some incredibly thoughtless remarks in the aftermath of the Pan Am Lockerbie crash. Essentially, he went to Scotland and said "those poor Americans." Eleven residents of Lockerbie were killed in addition to the multitude of nationalities represented on the aircraft itself.

Here's a link:

prince charles - the 2nd Lockerbie disaster 1988

Charles had to make a later visit and mop up after Andrew.

I won't go into the role that Andrew' *may have had* in helping free the Lockerbie bomber...*perhaps* having come about due to his relationship with the dictator's son...