The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

The Duke of York as Special Representative for International Trade and
Investment visited CrossRail in London, today, March 7, 2011.

** gettyimages/zimbio: The Duke of York visits Crossrail **

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein have been moved to The Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein Controversy .

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Prince Andrew as patron of the Young Engineers attended the science and
engineering Big Bang Fair at the Excel Centre in London. March 10, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Majesty

Prince Andrew is very good at appearances like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Prince Andrew as patron of the Young Engineers attended the science and
engineering Big Bang Fair at the Excel Centre in London. March 10, 2011.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Andrew 'cancels luxury jet flights with shady tycoon' | Mail Online

Maybe Andrew is chaning his ways - but too little too late I think.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Majesty

I can only hope that Andrew has answered the "wake-up call." Next step: taking the train rather than the helicopter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Prince Andrew 'cancels luxury jet flights with shady tycoon' | Mail Online

Maybe Andrew is chaning his ways - but too little too late I think.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Serene Highness

Libyan fixer gave necklace to Prince Andrew's daughter Beatrice | The Australian

More insinuations about Andrew's friendships, etc. I don't think it's unusual for princesses to get expensive gifts.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Normally I'd agree with you, rmay286; but 21 is a young age and that was a very expensive necklace from someone who Beatrice likely isn't very close to. There's something about it that seems "creepy" to me. If the necklace was presented as an official gift during a royal tour, it would be different. But this seems to be a personal gift from a friend of the Duke's to the Duke's daughter. :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Libyan fixer gave necklace to Prince Andrew's daughter Beatrice | The Australian

More insinuations about Andrew's friendships, etc. I don't think it's unusual for princesses to get expensive gifts.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Serene Highness

I guess there is something generally odd about every gift that Andrew's friends lavishes on him. It's not just the necklace; it's the offers of places to stay (didn't some wealthy Arab friend give Andrew free use of one of his residences?...I don't remember the story well) and of course, the purchase of Sunninghill for more than the asking price. Maybe the very rich can afford to be generous, but it does give the impression that someday they will feel entitled to ask for something in return...
Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Majesty

Bingo! That's it. There's always a sense that there's some kind of quid-pro-quo involved, and I don't like the idea of Beatrice and Eugenie being drawn into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Maybe the very rich can afford to be generous, but it does give the impression that someday they will feel entitled to ask for something in return...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Today, March 29, the Duke of York has visited CSR, a leading manufacturer
of wireless technology, based in Cambridge.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Majesty

Queen's award for Duke of York sends message to critics - Telegraph

Queen's award for Duke of York sends message to critics

MPs' reaction to damaging disclosures about the Duke of York was to call for his sacking as trade envoy. The Queen's response has been to appoint him to an order of chivalry
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Nobility

It says it was awarded before the whole hoopla so this isn't a response as much as just going about business. I wonder why Edward got his first.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Courtier

And I wonder why Charles never got one at all. I mean, Charles isn't my cup of tea, but you can't say that the guys doesn't work his ears off for Queen and country.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Nobility

Maybe it's cause he's a member of the Order of the Garter. Andrew and Edward are only extras.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
Maybe it's cause he's a member of the Order of the Garter. Andrew and Edward are only extras.

Andrew was 'terribly spoilt' and Charles 'so very sweet'

Quote:
'Both the older children are completely riveted by him, and all in all, he's going to be terribly spoilt by all of us, I'm sure!'
What are the chances the readers go nuts on that line?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

merged posts

Quote:
It says it was awarded before the whole hoopla so this isn't a response as much as just going about business. I wonder why Edward got his first.

Edward didn't get his first.

Andrew's was announced at the time of his birthday this year. This is just the official awarding of what had already been announced. Andrew was actually told he was getting it on his birthday but it was announced a day or so later.

Edward hasn't had the official investiture yet - as far as I am aware - as his was only announced on his birthday this month - a month after Andrew's was announced. Interestingly is the fact that Sophie got it last year.

Quote:

Andrew and Edward are both also Members of the Order of the Garter - having both been awarded that honour together in 2006.

It seems that the Queen gives awards to both her younger sons in the same year rather than at the same ages.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
And I wonder why Charles never got one at all. I mean, Charles isn't my cup of tea, but you can't say that the guys doesn't work his ears off for Queen and country.

I think it might be that as Charles will one day head the order.

Some honours have come to Charles already because he is the heir e.g. being a Knight of the Garter was automatic when he was created Prince of Wales in 1958 and others will be automatic on becoming King so maybe the Queen doesn't always feel the need to acknowledge her heir's work but does wish to honour her other children.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Prince Andrew and what his seven medals mean | Mail Online
Old 03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
Well he's not doing enough because they are still there and still LARGE.

I agree, Charles has done much for Queen and country. I had hoped that Andrew would follow in his footsteps and even briefly corresponded with PA hoping that he would follow along with his brother and sister's lead and do more with the troops however not much has panned out. More's the pity.