Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a different son that was killed - younger - also named Saif.

I think Andrew is having second son problems. I think he wants to be relevant. With al the controversy over the last few months, he is worried about his public role. William getting married just pushes him further into the margins.

I think Andrew is having second son problems. I think he wants to be relevant. With al the controversy over the last few months, he is worried about his public role. William getting married just pushes him further into the margins.

Good point.
Andrew is at the stage in life where you begin to take stock and determine if you are content with your life, or if you want to make some changes before it's too late.
The past year has been difficult for him; I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to determine what to do next.

Yes, after reflecting on it, I thought exactly the same thing. It was probably hard for Andrew to face the fact that William seems to have everything going for him - he's starting out in life, with a beautiful bride, a promising career, and personal popularity. These are three things Andrew also had when he was young, but doesn't now. I agree that Andrew has "second son syndrome." Even after William and Harry bumped Andrew down the line of succession, he could still feel like the "second son" in many ways because William and Harry didn't perform public duties. Now, it's like William is being launched into public life and Andrew is slowly fading into the background.

I read in the Daily Mail a few weeks ago that Andrew's trade ambassador role may be quietly changed - he won't be affiliated with UKTI anymore, and won't be sent overseas either but will only promote business in Britain or Europe. I don't know how true this is - but if it is true, you can see how Andrew could be having a mid-life crisis, thinking, "What have I made of my life - is there anywhere I'm really needed?" Even his girls are grown up. Put all these things together, and it's easy to see why Andrew was off in his own thoughts during the wedding.

It's definitely sad to watch videos of Andrew's own wedding and how overjoyed he looked then - and then watch how unhappy he looked at William's wedding. I think it must be hard having Sarah in his life, but not having her, at the same time. The worst part, probably, is knowing she still loves him, but he can't invite her back into his royal life. That is probably part of the reason he pays off her debts and lets her live with him - he's compensating for what he can't do. But it isn't really enough, and while it works for them in the short-term, I don't think either Andrew or Sarah are really happy with their situation. They just know they can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
:previous: Not to mention that after all the "work" Andrew feels he's done for promoting his family's interests, he may have to see his daughters lose their role and their titles due to his indiscretions. There are the rumors that Beatrice will be encouraged to pursue a career instead of becoming a working member of the royal family once she graduates.

:previous: Not to mention that after all the "work" Andrew feels he's done for promoting his family's interests, he may have to see his daughters lose their role and their titles due to his indiscretions. There are the rumors that Beatrice will be encouraged to pursue a career instead of becoming a working member of the royal family once she graduates.

I think she should pursue a career - but the rumoured interest is 'fashion' and frankly her fashion sense is in her rear end.

The other problem is what career can she do where she won't be accused of cashing in on her royal connections?

The York girls are really in no win situations - whatever career they chose they will be criticised as using royal connections, (even getting a job that accusation will be made), if they were to take on royal duties they will always be compared unfavourably to Kate, like their mother was compared unfavourably to Diana.

I think that for their sanity and self-esteem they need to leave Britain and get jobs that come with their degrees but using names other than their royal titles and simply fade into the background to be trotted out at Trooping the Colour every decade or so.

An alternative would be military careers - which are now options for women but weren't in earlier generations.

We should get more of an idea within the next couple of months as Beatrice should be finishing uni next month.

I don't think he looks sad. He's serious but so are the other people around him. Alot of royal relatives that were shown in various news clips either entering or leaving the Abbey had serious, almost somber, expressions. I tend to think people are reading too much into the whole divorce thing. I'm sure his own wedding did cross his mind, but I don't think it ruined the day, or the William's wedding, for him.

perhaps Andrew was sad because of his daughters' clothing/hat choices

I think she should pursue a career - but the rumoured interest is 'fashion' and frankly her fashion sense is in her rear end.

:ROFLMAO: No, I don't think too many people would willingly follow Beatrice's lead.

The other problem is what career can she do where she won't be accused of cashing in on her royal connections?

I don't think there's one; even if she were to work for a non-profit or something like that, it will be said she got the job over more qualified people! And, heaven help her if she ends up working three days a week, or something like that!

Still, I don't see why she has to leave Britain. If she gets a job and takes it seriously, I think much criticism will die down. (But she can't just play at it).

Yes, after reflecting on it, I thought exactly the same thing. It was probably hard for Andrew to face the fact that William seems to have everything going for him - he's starting out in life, with a beautiful bride, a promising career, and personal popularity. These are three things Andrew also had when he was young, but doesn't now. I agree that Andrew has "second son syndrome." Even after William and Harry bumped Andrew down the line of succession, he could still feel like the "second son" in many ways because William and Harry didn't perform public duties. Now, it's like William is being launched into public life and Andrew is slowly fading into the background.

I read in the Daily Mail a few weeks ago that Andrew's trade ambassador role may be quietly changed - he won't be affiliated with UKTI anymore, and won't be sent overseas either but will only promote business in Britain or Europe. I don't know how true this is - but if it is true, you can see how Andrew could be having a mid-life crisis, thinking, "What have I made of my life - is there anywhere I'm really needed?" Even his girls are grown up. Put all these things together, and it's easy to see why Andrew was off in his own thoughts during the wedding.
I agree with your assessment and wish to add that Prince Andrew is VERY Much in control of his own life and can change it to be more fulfilling at any time. If he's sad, or having a mid-life crisis (he is 50 after all!) he bloody well can change things.

I agree with your assessment and wish to add that Prince Andrew is VERY Much in control of his own life and can change it to be more fulfilling at any time. If he's sad, or having a mid-life crisis (he is 50 after all!) he bloody well can change things.

Definately one of your best quotes yet Russo!!

I'm just not sure he has as much control over his own life as he would like.
Over the past few months he has lost a bit of control over his trade envoy role, he might hold on to it but it appears there will be chanages and his work oversees will be reduced.
His role within the royal family will change now that William and Catherine are married, and even more so if they are blessed with a family.
Despite what he may wish for them Beatrice and Eugenie's future roles within the royal family is probably out of his hands.
Even in his private life he hasn't got complete control, if he ever wanted to remarry for instance he and the woman in question would have to get the thumbs up and approval from HM (and if that woman in question is a very familar redhead I wouldn't fancy his chances).
Even at 51 I think there are still a lot of decisions being made for him, the question is can he find a way to take control?

I didn't think Andrew looked sad as much as an angry glump, because he had to attend the wedding. The last few pictures I've seen of Andrew he had the persistent scowl on his face like a little child who hasn't been allowed to have his way.
I have noticed on the Court Circulars in the past month, Andrew has made only one trip to Indonesia in his role as trade envoy. The rest of the time he's been at home fulfilling various duties. It has been noted that part of Charles' duties at his last overseas appearances, that he has engaged in "trade talks". Andrew may have been told he has to lay low a bit until his latest troubles have died down. If so, I'm sure he's not happy.
I wholeheartedly agree with Russo, if Andrew is sad, angry, upset with middle age, he can change it. He has more options than the average man/woman on the street.

I wholeheartedly agree with Russo, if Andrew is sad, angry, upset with middle age, he can change it. He has more options than the average man/woman on the street.

How does he have more options? He can't do anything without seeking approval from his mother first, lest he embarrass himself again. As a senior royal he's trapped.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie "School Ties" where a privileged student tells a working class classmate that being part of the social elite means being offered the good life and hoping that you like it when you get it.

This may sound harsh, but of course he CAN do anything without his mother's consent. He is a grown man; he just has to have the gumption to do it. If he isn't happy as a royal, he needs to drop out. This is an option for each and every person on the planet. He's never going to be king, he may as well live as he wants. On the other hand, what a scary prospect for him. If he is continually paying off Sarah's debts, he must have his own money.

If a person can break the bonds of poverty, PA can break the bonds of whatever is his problem.

He has more choices that a lot of people.

I didn't think Andrew looked sad as much as an angry glump, because he had to attend the wedding. The last few pictures I've seen of Andrew he had the persistent scowl on his face like a little child who hasn't been allowed to have his way.
I have noticed on the Court Circulars in the past month, Andrew has made only one trip to Indonesia in his role as trade envoy. The rest of the time he's been at home fulfilling various duties. It has been noted that part of Charles' duties at his last overseas appearances, that he has engaged in "trade talks". Andrew may have been told he has to lay low a bit until his latest troubles have died down. If so, I'm sure he's not happy.

Very interesting - I too realize that I haven't lately seen any stories about his overseas travels. I wonder if, like Sarah, he was told to "lie low" before the royal wedding. That could be another reason for his unhappiness at the wedding - he might have been resenting the fact that William and Kate's wedding interfered with his own life, even though William is younger than him. I don't think, though, that Andrew was "angry" at the wedding. The expression I saw on his face was definitely sad.

How does he have more options? He can't do anything without seeking approval from his mother first, lest he embarrass himself again. As a senior royal he's trapped.

Exactly...I think Andrew has fewer options than an "ordinary" person. Everything has to be weighed according to optics and suitability for a royal. I think the next few years aren't going to be easy for Andrew.

One thing to keep in mind is he is a Counsellor of State, so he may be limited in what he can do. Also Princess Beatrice and maybe Princess Eugenie are likewise somewhat limited as future Counsellors of State, so there's not too much they can really do career-wise. Prince Andrew will probably be a Counsellor of State for the rest of his life (at the very least about 23 years or so).

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound harsh, but of course he CAN do anything without his mother's consent. He is a grown man; he just has to have the gumption to do it. If he isn't happy as a royal, he needs to drop out. This is an option for each and every person on the planet. He's never going to be king, he may as well live as he wants. On the other hand, what a scary prospect for him. If he is continually paying off Sarah's debts, he must have his own money.

If a person can break the bonds of poverty, PA can break the bonds of whatever is his problem.

He has more choices that a lot of people.

Very interesting points KittyAtlanta. The question is does Andrew even know himself what it is he wants, let alone have the gumption to go for it?

Yes, he has many limitations inherent in his Counselor of State position - which he never chose for himself. I really feel for him. It's not just a matter of gumption. He cannot go into regular business or politics.

I'm not sure how he can get himself out of that position (renounce his title?) Most normal healthy people don't want to mess up their family ties in middle age, instead, we try to build and mend them. He has few choices.

I hope he finds a way to establish personal relationships that make him happy - and that they allow him to pull out of this royal business a bit, it's a bit of a mess right now. I'm sure he has some of his own money, but he also has two daughters to support - they don't seem to be self-supporting entities at the level at which they spend.

In order to keep it all together, he has to keep doing what he's doing - or make groundbreaking (and highly public) changes to his life, never easy for anyone - and most of us have virtually no public scrutiny of our lives, so we can't know how that feels.

This may sound harsh, but of course he CAN do anything without his mother's consent. He is a grown man; he just has to have the gumption to do it. If he isn't happy as a royal, he needs to drop out.

What makes you think Andrew is unhappy to be royal?

I've always heard that he fought very hard to retain the HRH title for his daughters, and insisted they be known as Princess rather than Lady.

That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't value his status.

(In fact, Steven Barry, Charles' former valet, said that Andrew was one of the most lofty members of the RF).

Aside from Golf, what is he good at? Is there anything he could do there? I'm asking this seriously as it seems the one thing that he's both passionate about and good at.

There's a new photo of the Duke of York greeting local children in Penicuik. He was there for the homecoming parade of the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland. Note the big smile on his face! Very different than what we saw from him at his nephew's wedding.

What makes you think Andrew is unhappy to be royal?

I've always heard that he fought very hard to retain the HRH title for his daughters, and insisted they be known as Princess rather than Lady.

That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't value his status.

(In fact, Steven Barry, Charles' former valet, said that Andrew was one of the most lofty members of the RF).

They are known as Princesses because they are Princesses. Please don't confuse the stituation regarding their births in the late 80's/early 90's with that of James and Louise. Its entirely a different situation. People keep referencing the "Lady" title as if that was an option when Beatrice and Eugenie were born. The only Princesses who took the Lady title were Katharine of Greece (who asked permission because she married a regular English citizen) and Patricia of Connaught (who was so far the succession list that it didn't even matter and wanted to take a title comparable to her husband).

In addition, any rumour that Charles would want them to lose their HRH would be applicable to his son (Harry) as well.

Andrew just needs to continue his work, think about carefully who he associates with --- stay away from the likes of Epstein. And really in regards to some of the more nefarious people....a lot of government officials interact with them. So I don't think he should be blamed for that. And he needs to travel in a less expensive manner.

Last edited:
I wrote to HRH about a year ago. I suggested he do somethng for the troops. His private secretary wrote a lovely letter back saying that is exactly what HRH is doing. The golfing therapy was not what I had in mind, but kudo's to HRH for doing something. Now. With all this broo-ha-ha going about from HRH's questionable company, and the plight of the troops in England (they are just as bad in the states, Russo just doesn't have an unlimited purse to formally do something as yet, however she is working on it!) especially those coming back from combat missing limbs and PTSD, this is a grand opportunity for HRH to really dig in and DO something. Start an industry like HRH Prince Charles' Duchy Origionals <sic> and hire wounded warriors and help them get back on their feet and support their families. NOw THAT would be a worthwhile endeavor.

There's a new photo of the Duke of York greeting local children in Penicuik. He was there for the homecoming parade of the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland. Note the big smile on his face! Very different than what we saw from him at his nephew's wedding.

What a smile!:)

Excellent idea, Russophile. The Duke seems to be a man with a lot of energy, and after all his Trade and Investment travelling must know a thing or two about business.

Start an industry like HRH Prince Charles' Duchy Origionals <sic> and hire wounded warriors and help them get back on their feet and support their families. NOw THAT would be a worthwhile endeavor.

The Duke of York in his role as UK Special Representative for International Trade and Investment
is in China until May 19, 2011. He will visit Beijing, Chongqing and Chengdu. It's his 7th trip to
China since taking on his current trade representative role in 2001.

Here he's pictured during a meeting with Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang in Beijing, today, May 17, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I don't think he looks sad. He's serious but so are the other people around him. Alot of royal relatives that were shown in various news clips either entering or leaving the Abbey had serious, almost somber, expressions. I tend to think people are reading too much into the whole divorce thing. I'm sure his own wedding did cross his mind, but I don't think it ruined the day, or the William's wedding, for him.

I agree Bella. If you look at the faces of alot of the guest at the wedding their expressions were pretty blank. I did not think he looked sad at all. IMO he don't he looked any worse than anyone else there. Now let's just be real for a second here. The man has had a rough couple of months that would take a toll on anybody and it's not far fetched that it would show on his face.

On June 18, the Duke of York as Colonel-in-Chief attended the Medals Parade of The Royal Irish
Regiment (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd, 87th and The Ulster Defence Regiment) at Tern Hill Barracks,
Market Drayton, Shropshire.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** BBC: Duke honours Afghanistan soldiers in Shropshire **

** shropshirestar: Duke of York honours Royal Irish Regiment **

And on June 20, the Duke of York hosted a seminar at St. James's Palace on business opportunities
between the United Kingdom and the State of Kuwait.

** Pic **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom