Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Andrew in angry tirade against 'hopeless' defence chiefs who sit on their 'fat backsides' | Mail Online

Prince Andrew has launched a scathing attack on the Ministry of Defence for failing to order a revolutionary armoured vehicle that could save British soldier's lives.
The Royal accused defence chiefs of being 'hopeless' and sitting on their 'fat backsides' and stalling on bringing in the new Ranger vehicles.
The British-built armoured truck is said to be able to withstand Taliban bombs, unlike the current 4x4 vehicles being used in Afghanistan.

The Duke of York has attended the Annual Service of Rememberance for
the Royal Irish Regiment held in Belfast Cathedral on November 7, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

what a beautiful smile in the picture one!:) thanks Iceflower

I luv Andrew, he fascinates me to the extreme..1st pic's the best,very sexy n' seducive smile..would die to know his fav perfume.

Last edited:
he is for sure the most dashing man in the firm. And he has always been a most wonderful husband.:)

Well he was, he isn't now is he?

Times Higher Education - Take a punt, but don't get sold down foreign rivers
Also speaking at the conference, the Duke of York accused the UK Border Agency of inefficiency in the processing of student visas.
"Every country I go to I get complaints about the visa regime," he said. "The Border Agency simply fails to have the right number of people to cope with demand."

Andrew is proving himself to be an opinionated person, especially about government.

As I have said before about Prince Charles, I don't think that senior royals should express political opinions if they can avoid it, whether that's criticizing a government department or something else. It's probably true that visas aren't processed quickly, but it's also easy to criticize the government from the sidelines.

I like Andrew, but I sometimes get the sense from his interviews that he always thinks he knows best about how things should be run. But as people are fond of pointing out, he didn't get his job through his qualifications but through his title, and it's not always easy to figure out what exactly he does.

Do you think he's expressing opinions so people would take him seriously with his job as Business Liason? Instead of mocking him as a do-nothing AirMiles Andy Prince?
(I'm actually serious here.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I think Andrew does his best and is anxious to be taken seriously.

Most of the royals probably feel the same way. Just like it's easy to criticize the government when you aren't in a position of leadership in the government, it's for others to criticize the royals when they don't know how much work they do behind the scenes to prepare for their duties.

I support Andrew's comment supporting the vehicles which better protect troops, because he is a man who has seen war up close. However, I think that it's better that he not comment on a lot of things. Also we have to take into consideration that some comments are meant to be public, such in a speech; and others are made in private and/or unofficially.

Yes. I think Andrew does his best and is anxious to be taken seriously.

I support Andrew's comment supporting the vehicles which better protect troops, because he is a man who has seen war up close. However, I think that it's better that he not comment on a lot of things. Also we have to take into consideration that some comments are meant to be public, such in a speech; and others are made in private and/or unofficially.

Yes that it the point that should be taken from this, that there is a proper
way to get your point across.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I expect Andrew will do this more often as Prince Philip gets older and needs to cut back.

I also see this as a way to ease Andrew into a busier role with royal duties as well as what he is doing now.

As the Queen and the DoE slow things down, Andrew is in a very nice position to represent the BRF in the countries he's been known to be involved with. As tensions can and do arise in the Middle East and it seems that Andrew has had much dealings and has made friends with the people and the customs of that area, who better to represent the Crown there?

Perhaps he does golf a lot, but then too perhaps as they say, its the sport of kings and many many deals and partnerships and friendships have been made on a golf course. Andrew seems very affable and easy going and who better to represent the Crown in an area of the world that's the proverbial "hot spot"?

When I hear of someone's rude behavior, it's usually something that they said. Hopefully, this won't be too bad and will just be overlooked when all the political leaks are revealed.

He's been singled out for his apparent rude behaviour?

All the MailOnline article states is:

"Sensational claims of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ by Prince Andrew emerged last night in the biggest intelligence leak in history.
Secret U.S. embassy cables are said to show the prince, who is a UK trade envoy, has shocked the Americans with his ‘rude behaviour abroad’.
He was accused of making 'inappropriate remarks' about a foreign country and a law enforcement agency."

There is no detail and nothing further. Note that the cables are "said to show" which means they haven't (yet) been seen.

WikiLeaks cables: 'Rude' Prince Andrew shocks US ambassador | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Well, now they have been seen.

I believe Andrew said these things. Like I said a few posts back, I've been noticing that his public comments have been getting more and more opinionated/critical of people in leadership. I believe he can be rude at times (something he has inherited from his father)? Andrew also sometimes comes across as arrogant.

All the MailOnline article states is:

"Sensational claims of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ by Prince Andrew emerged last night in the biggest intelligence leak in history.
Secret U.S. embassy cables are said to show the prince, who is a UK trade envoy, has shocked the Americans with his ‘rude behaviour abroad’.
He was accused of making 'inappropriate remarks' about a foreign country and a law enforcement agency."

There is no detail and nothing further. Note that the cables are "said to show" which means they haven't (yet) been seen.

Total bogus nonsense,you're right Warren.Nowhere is the very name of the Duke of York mentioned.Sensation hyped bull,really,and if he did make unapropiate remarks on a foreign country and a law enforcement agency,I say if,then he might have been bloody right to do so.

What I read in the Wikileaks article of the New York Times about these gossiping & spying schizofrenic paranoia old bats of US diplomats is way way worse I would say.The bloody arrogance!You rock Andy,don't let anyone stop you from being you!

Last edited:
What these 'sensational' claims amount to is that someone representing a foreign government found Andrew to be a tad xenophobic and 'rude'.

The Ambassador said: "He reacted with almost neuralgic patriotism whenever any comparison between the US and UK came up." With all due respect to Madam Ambassador and her country, why wouldn't he? It's his job to believe in and promote UK interests above all others.

Did he compromise national security? Did he endanger lives? If the answers are 'no',then these criticisms amount to little more than tittle tattle and chagrin. Perhaps Andrew isn't blessed with the world's best diplomatic skills, but that's hardly 'sensational' and it's certainly not new.

As for the Ambassador and her words '...neuralgic patriotism...' what on earth does she mean?

The United States isn't the only country who has sent telegrams or messages which were critical of an ally or critical of governments, political leaders or critical of how a particular society lives. I imagine telegrams have been sent by other countries blasting the United States, blasting the American President or blasting American foreign policy. I imagine the response in the United States would be the same as the other countries have reacted if their telegrams or private messages have been released. All countries do this (blast each other). It's interesting though that only American telegrams and messages were released. If this person was able to get into American computer systems, then they could get into any system.

These telegrams should have never been released. These were private messages which were not intended for public viewing as evidenced by what was said. I hope that whoever did this is charged with treason under American law and given a long lengthy prison sentence.

Last edited:
:previous: Ah well, in this case all it did was show up the author's thin skin and equally rude assessments. What did she expect him to do? Jump up and wave an American flag instead of swatting her (figuratively) with the Union Jack! :ROFLMAO:

Withall due respect to Madam Ambassador and her country, if that is the worst she could come up with I wonder it was worth the cable. :whistling:

People have to be able to say what they believe and think in private meetings, and those meetings and correspondence have to remain confidential. Otherwise, truth would never be spoken between high-level people. :ermm:

What these 'sensational' claims amount to is that someone representing a foreign government found Andrew to be a tad xenophobic and 'rude'.

The Ambassador said: "He reacted with almost neuralgic patriotism whenever any comparison between the US and UK came up." With all due respect to Madam Ambassador and her country, why wouldn't he? It's his job to believe in and promote UK interests above all others.

Did he compromise national security? Did he endanger lives? If the answers are 'no',then these criticisms amount to little more than tittle tattle and chagrin. Perhaps Andrew isn't blessed with the world's best diplomatic skills, but that's hardly 'sensational' and it's certainly not new.

As for the Ambassador and her words '...neuralgic patriotism...' what on earth does she mean?

Actually the exact wording is:

Unfortunately for the assembled British subjects, their cherished Prince was now late to the Prime Minister’s. He regretfully tore himself away from them and they from him. On the way out, one of them confided to the Ambassador: “What a wonderful representative for the British people! We could not be prouder of our royal family!and

COMMENT: Prince Andrew reached out to the Ambassador with cordiality and respect, evidently valuing her insights. However, he reacted with almost neuralgic patriotism whenever any comparison between the United States and United Kingdom came up. For example, one British businessman noted that despite the “overwhelming might of the American economy compared to ours” the amount of American and British investment in Kyrgyzstan was similar. Snapped the Duke: “No surprise there. The Americans don’t understand geography. Never have. In the U.K., we have the best geography teachers in the world!” END COMMENT.

---
You find it in the cable dated 2008 10 29 from the Embassy Bishkek.

Not sure if it is allowed to include the link in here (if not, moderators please delete it):
Cable Viewer

Personally I dislike the way the Prince is called "cherished Prince" :whistling:

I can tell by the blogs that people have different opinions about it. Two people could have attended the same event and have entirely different opinions about it. The cable was her opinion or observation of what took place. Since I wasn't there and didn't hear Prince Andrew speak, I don't know what he said or didn't say.

Still this information should have never be made public. It wasn't intended for public viewing. If it was, the response would be different.

The Ambassador was at a private function to which she was invited by her British counterpart. What she reported in her cable was mere gossip: in fact, a lot of diplomacy is just that - gossip.

I am not Andrew's greatest fan, but he has done well by British trade in that part of the world, irrespective of problems inherent in doing business in that region, and there appear to be very many. At worst, from what I've read, Andrew was indiscreet, but assumed that he was amongst friends. If I were Andrew, I'd take offence, rather, at Madam Ambassador's calling him their 'cherished prince' with it's disdainful overtones. He certainly attracts a lot of attention, but 'cherished', he ain't. He's employed to do a job of work for the UK, not to apologise for other European business practices nor to support American corporations. In the cut-throat world of international business his remarks are perfectly understandable and even permissible, to my mind.

Starting with Madam Ambassador and extrapolating to the press, generally, I think that this attack on Andrew for behaving and speaking as business promoters everywhere do, is a bloody cheek! Pots and kettles come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom