Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York meets Sergeant Allie McKinney during
the first Royal Garden Party of the summer at Buckingham Palace
London, England - 07.07.09

-----> Pic

Pic 8.7.2009

Prince Andrew meets staff working in the world's largest
DNA sequencing centre during a visit to the Wellcome
Trust Sanger Institute, Genome Campus in Hinxton,
Cambridgeshire, July 8, 2009.

-----> Pic

Also from the article
As the Queen rightly said when cutting back her own wedding anniversary expenditure last year, the Royals should be reining in their spending in these tough times.
'Prince Andrew could have driven this journey and saved thousands of pounds.'

Environmental campaign group Plane Stupid said that the prince should be leading by example and cutting back on his carbon emissions
:nonono::nonono::nonono:

If Prince Andrew can afford a helicopter, I think he can use one. Prince Andrew is not known for promoting ecological causes as his elder brother does. Prince Andrew is bad no matter what he does anyway.

Another shocking story about Andrew and his spending habits. It was especially damaging that Charles was giving his speech on the same day. :nonono::nonono:
If Prince Andrew can afford a helicopter, I think he can use one. Prince Andrew is not known for promoting ecological causes as his elder brother does. Prince Andrew is bad no matter what he does anyway.
Your are quite right, but he could at least try to tone down his image a little bit. For the sake of the royal familty at least. :nonono::nonono:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Andrew can afford to use a helicopter, what a pity he doesn't pay for it himself in that case, instead of using taxpayers money. If and when Andrew gives some concern to his use of our money, then he might get better headlines.
Prince Andrew has been accused of gross hypocrisy after he commandeered the Queen's Flight to go skiing on his way home from a meeting about the environment.

Prince Andrew spends £4,000 of taxpayers money on private jet | Mail Online

---------------------------------------end of reply

The Duke of York's expenses claims as Britain's trade ambassador have jumped to £4,000 a week, The Daily Telegraph can disclose

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...orks-expenses-claims-jump-to-4000-a-week.html

If Prince Andrew can do the things he has been doing such using tax-payers money to fund his not-business-related trips, it means that the system should be changed. Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing British taxpayers are good for is whining and wailing.

I agree--sometimes I don't understand the constant complaints in the British media. Britain has a democratic voting system--if people are so upset with the behaviour of the royal family, why don't they vote in more MPs who are anti-monarchist or, at least, who are in favour of getting rid of the minor royals who supposedly don't provide "value for money"? (Also, the trips the media is complaining about were definitely business-related--the only thing being questioned is whether they were effective business trips.)
“Costs to UKTI increased between 2006/07 and 2007/08 by one third precisely because the number of overseas visits increased by one third. Nonetheless, we try always to keep costs to a minimum and provide value for money for the taxpayer.”
:previous: The above is a quote from the article. It makes sense to me.
Also, how can Andrew afford to pay for a helicopter without the use of taxpayer money? Doesn't his "income", directly or indirectly, come from taxpayers?

:previous:

Change the system? Are you both suggesting the UK should become a republic?
I think it would satisfy me if the Queen would give her family a good dressing down about the way they are wasting the people´s money, and if you think that the quote 69p each person is a true figure then you must still believe in the tooth fairy.

No, I have not meant any change in the political system, but changes in the allocation of funds to Prince Andrew or any other member of the royal family. I am sure that there are avenues to make Prince Andrew reduce his wasteful spending. Just whining about the issue is both ineffectual and annoying.

Pics 11.7.2009

Prince Andrew dropped in to Air Day at RNAS Yeovilton
Somerset as it celebrated 100 years of Navy aviation,
July 11, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

If Prince Andrew can do the things he has been doing such using tax-payers money to fund his not-business-related trips, it means that the system should be changed. Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing British taxpayers are good for is whining and wailing.
How unrefreshing to see that insulting an entire country is some posters idea of a valid argument. :nonono:
sometimes I don't understand the constant complaints in the British media. Britain has a democratic voting system--if people are so upset with the behaviour of the royal family, why don't they vote in more MPs who are anti-monarchist or, at least, who are in favour of getting rid of the minor royals who supposedly don't provide "value for money"?
You seem to have absolute trust in the voting system here in the UK. If there was a referendum on downgrading the minor, money wasting royals, I would certainly vote for the motion. I can't really see Cameron or Brown leading their campaigns with a 'dismiss the money wasting members of the royal family' promise in his manifesto! Or 'save the taxpayer from misuse of it's money by the royals' in Browns.

I would be against abolishing the monarchy, you don't kill someone with cancer, you cut the cancer out and that is what needs to be done with Airmiles Andy. He is eroding the goodwill, even older people feel towards the royals.

The 69p per person is very deceptive because it is based on every single person in the UK paying tax, when of course only those in employment or with taxable income from investments and pensions actually pay tax.
(Also, the trips the media is complaining about were definitely business-related--the only thing being questioned is whether they were effective business trips.)
From the article -
the Duke billed the taxpayer for £207,000 in expenses for his overseas trips, excluding flights. He also billed the taxpayer for £4,400 in "associated activities including lunches, dinners, receptions in UK etc. ---- In April the public spending watchdog found that more than two thirds of firms who were meant to benefit from UKTI did not think it was value for money. ---- The expenses claims, which do not include the cost of flying there
At least one of the trips included taking a daughter with him and most probably also involved golf.:rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting that the UK should become a republic, if you read my post, but from my reading of British headlines and sometimes the comments accompanying those headlines, sometimes I do think that almost all the royals with the exception of the Queen (including Charles, the heir to the throne) get so much criticism that Britons come across as dissatisfied with the monarchy in general. I understand the 69p for each person isn't a completely accurate figure...but even triple that amount doesn't seem like a huge sum.
I am sure that there are avenues to make Prince Andrew reduce his wasteful spending. Just whining about the issue is both ineffectual and annoying.
Exactly--there is so much "whining" (complaining if you will) about Prince Andrew in the media. If the waste of taxpayer money is really so great, and people are really that upset, surely the taxpayers themselves can make their voices heard somehow? I'm not British, I don't know exactly what avenues exist to change Prince Andrew's spending habits, but Britain isn't an absolute monarchy--if the people feel strongly enough about certain practices within the royal family or about the royal family themselves, surely they can create change.

I mean, the Queen actually flew the flag at half-mast and gave a televised address--going against normal protocol--when the media and ordinary people became upset in the wake of Diana's death, so surely if the situation with Andrew is as dire as some of the headlines suggest, something can be done about it.

I would be against abolishing the monarchy, you don't kill someone with cancer, you cut the cancer out and that is what needs to be done with Airmiles Andy. He is eroding the goodwill, even older people feel towards the royals.
How would you propose to "cut the cancer" that is Andrew out of the monarchy, then?

Pics 12.7.2009

Prince Andrew attends the 2nd International Festival of
Falconry sponsored by the Emirates falconer's Club, at
Engelfield Estate, Berkshire, UK, July 12, 2009

The gentleman on the left on pic 3 is His Highness Sheikh
Sultan Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, the one on the right is
the Abu Dhabi Ambassador to the UK.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

So he's keeping it at a bird center. Does he have to pay for storage? Or will they breed it which will pay for it's upkeep? How much does it cost for that hobby? Though it looks TRICK!! :flowers:

The Duke looks a little tentative in that first picture, like he's thinking, "Please don't peck me. Please don't peck me." I keep mammals of prey--cats!:D

So he's keeping it at a bird center. Does he have to pay for storage? Or will they breed it which will pay for it's upkeep? How much does it cost for that hobby? Though it looks TRICK!! :flowers:
Normally one would pay for boarding and of course that will include a handler to train or fly the bird. As Andrew owns a female, he could hope that the centre has a male that it will bond with, again normally they breed around 2 to 3 years of age, they also mate for life. If the chicks fledge successfully, the proceeds are normally split 50/50 between the owners, if both birds are not yours. If you are keeping them yourself, apart from the initial outlay, which for a Gyr or Gyr cross is high, they are relatively inexpensive, IMO. :flowers: The female Andrew has been given, comes with an impeccably pedigree and will have her DNA on record.

Pics 24.7.2009

Prince Andrew, Duke of York talks with Sandy Lyle during
the second round of The Senior Open Championship held
on the Old Course at Sunningdale Golf Club, July 24, 2009
in Sunningdale, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I am no fan of Prince Philip but I find nothing funny about this situation and I don´t think that any father would be pleased to find that an ex wife (spouse) is living under the same roof and in a way preventing the son moving on, while in this case she is still enjoying a royal life style. She caused her parents.in-law pain and so I can´t blame them if they would prefer her completely out of her ex-husband´s life except for where the two daughters are concerned. They seem not to have done anything against this situation and it is the ex-couple´s business but it is not an amusing situation for sure.

MOST DIVORCEES do their best to forget the date they got married, their wedding anniversary and any painful reminders of how it all went wrong

Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: The (very) odd couple

I didn't know they were still living under the same roof, how odd. I agree with Prince Phillip, Fergie was odd and pointless. She'd just milking Andrew for what he has, and enjoying the royal life style. I think thats so wrong. :nonono::nonono:

I heard about Sarah temporarily staying with Andrew after her house fire last year, but I didn't know she'd gone back to living with him permanently!

I am no fan of Prince Philip but I find nothing funny about this situation and I don´t think that any father would be pleased to find that an ex wife (spouse) is living under the same roof and in a way preventing the son moving on, while in this case she is still enjoying a royal life style. She caused her parents.in-law pain and so I can´t blame them if they would prefer her completely out of her ex-husband´s life except for where the two daughters are concerned. They seem not to have done anything against this situation and it is the ex-couple´s business but it is not an amusing situation for sure.

I don't think Prince Philip would be pleased with the situation, but more because he doesn't seem to like Sarah than because she would prevent Andrew from dating new women. I can't see Philip caring much whether Andrew did, or didn't, remarry. Also, I don't see how Sarah is preventing Andrew from moving on. If she's living at Royal Lodge it's because Andrew is letting her; if he didn't want her living there, he's a grown man capable of telling her so.

As for Sarah living off Andrew's wealth and royal status, I was wondering if there was a way to find out if Andrew is paying for Sarah's expenses? I remember that before Charles and Camilla married, her expenses were included in his accounts, even though she (at that time) wasn't contributing anything to the royal family. The only thing we really know from the article is that Sarah seems to be living at Royal Lodge rent-free when she is in Britain. I don't know if she would be getting anything else from Andrew.

And why do you think that Prince Philip doesn´t like Sarah? Could it possibly be because of the shame she brought to his family. You ask why would it make a difference to Andrew moving on, so I will ask you what woman worth her salt would date or marry a man who still has his ex-wife living under his roof and takes her out for their anniversary and on holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom