Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pics, Ice. I esp. like Pic 1 - that smile is wonderful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sky, can you elaborate a bit? What was he saying that in reference to? Was he referring to the RF or the British Trade industry or what? Thanks.
I have looked for a link and so far can't find one. He was talking about the recession and trade in general. The other one was along the lines of, 'there is no way out and so we have to look for a way out'. The woman interviewing asked about champagne and caviar lunches and he didn't say there weren't any, just that he hadn't seen any. I know I'm nitpicking but I really hoped he would sound inspiring, whereas I was left wondering if he was suffering from jetlag (and he was in Davos). It was shown, on the second attempt, on the ITN news at lunch time.

This isn't the interview, but it does show you your beloved. :D

BBC NEWS | Business | Davos 2009 | Finance for emerging markets 'vital'

Prince Andrew facing cover-up claims over foreign trips | Mail Online
Prince Andrew has been accused by MPs of suppressing a report on his controversial work as Britain’s roving business ambassador. ... Last night, after Buckingham Palace said the Duke was still deciding whether to release the findings, he faced criticismfrom a member of the Commons Public Accounts Committee, which carried out investigations into Royal finances.

I have to say this report business does sound rather odd. Though its worth considering that the report may have been made simple foe internal royal review to see where improvements could be made etc. Hwoever it was designed to be publicly availble but now suddenly isnt then that would seem to suggest that it was negative to HRH.

I'm sure this is just a big misunderstanding. Thanks Al_bina for the link.
I too hope it is a misunderstanding. I find it tiresome to read all negative things about Prince Andrew.

The quotes in the article are from a Labour MP and an anti-monarchist. If Andrew did publish the report, and it was positive about his efforts, then he'd be accused of blowing his own horn.;)

I too hope it is a misunderstanding. I find it tiresome to read all negative things about Prince Andrew.

I have to say this report business does sound rather odd. Though its worth considering that the report may have been made simple foe internal royal review to see where improvements could be made etc. Hwoever it was designed to be publicly availble but now suddenly isnt then that would seem to suggest that it was negative to HRH.

The report was always meant to be private.

The quotes in the article are from a Labour MP and an anti-monarchist. If Andrew did publish the report, and it was positive about his efforts, then he'd be accused of blowing his own horn.;)

I agree with both of you.Knowing who is behind some of the quotes is very important,an anti-monarchist would of course slant things to make Andrew look bad.Andrew was given this job to tout Britain's business efforts,he's taking it very seriously and appears to be working quite diligently.

I have to say this report business does sound rather odd. Though its worth considering that the report may have been made simple for internal royal review to see where improvements could be made etc. However it was designed to be publicly available but now suddenly isn't then that would seem to suggest that it was negative to HRH.
:flowers: If it was meant to be 'private', why tell the press he had commissioned the report in the first place though?
Last night, after Buckingham Palace said the Duke was still deciding whether to release the findings
This also gives the impression that Andrew is considering cherry picking
so it is up to him whether he publishes it. Bits or all of it may be released this year

It's true though that Andrew can't win. If the report was published and it praised him for doing a good job, his detractors would say, "Well, he's a member of the royal family, they're obviously not going to say anything negative about him." If the report isn't published, his detractors say, "It's obviously because the report was negative and he's afraid to publish it."
;)

:flowers: If it was meant to be 'private', why tell the press he had commissioned the report in the first place though?

Well if the report was only for internal use then it can be considered "private" as it was not a report meant to be published for the public but for Andrew and his staff. In that case I think it should remain private whatever the findings, even if the report is full of praise as to release it would lead to all the complaints about it only being released because it was so favourable. I think the best thing to do is to leave the report was private.
The palace probably told the press the report was commissioned because the press probably found out and asked the palace whom could not lie and say no when it was true, the palace didn't announce that there was a report but simply confirmed one existed.

"Well, he's a member of the royal family, they're obviously not going to say anything negative about him."
I haven't heard that said about him, very many articles are negative about the royal family.:flowers:
The palace probably told the press the report was commissioned because the press probably found out and asked the palace whom could not lie and say no when it was true, the palace didn't announce that there was a report but simply confirmed one existed
Andrew made the announcement. :flowers:
Prince Andrew announced that he had called in accountants PriceWaterhouseCoopers to conduct a review of his performance. His aides say he was keen to show how successful his job was and also where it could be improved
Sunday Express | Columnists :: Airmiles Andy is called to account

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/t...ectors/banking_and_finance/article3778416.ece

Pics 18.2.2009

Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso , Russian President Dmitry Medvedev,
Britain's Prince Andrew and Dutch Economics Minister Josephine van
der Hoeven tour the newly opened liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant on
Sakhalin Island near Korsakov on Sakhalin island, a Russian island north
of Japan's northernmost island Hokkaido, on February 18, 2009.

Russia has opened its first liquefied natural gas plant today, a project
which will greatly increase Russia's role as an energy exporter in the
Asia-Pacific region.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Great photos, Ice! That long dark coat . . . that dark suit . . .

Very nice selection of photos, Iceflower. Caption for picture 2: "Now which valve did you say opens the pipeline?" ;)

Thanks evnovoros for the additional pics. It does look awfully cold. But P Andrew keeps things hot, if you know what I mean.

I can hardly wait for the next article to see how much they say. By the way, very sharp eyes Tommy.

The following news headlines spring to mind:

"Taxpayers Waste Hundreds Of Thousands Of Pounds A Year Buying The Daily Mail"

"Newspaper Wasting Valuable Resources By Printing A Load Of Rubbish"

With the Yorks around, perhaps the BRF need to set up some pretty strigent procedures and internal approval processes before any of the Yorks are allowed near a helicopter or private plane!

I can't help but note that in the space of a few hours the figure has dropped by £2,000!
It seems the Mail has got it wrong again, don't you think they would refer to the source (channel 4)!:whistling::lol:

Details of the journey came as it emerged that Buckingham Palace reached an agreement with the government to hide all royal travel costing less than £10,000. Previously, any journey costing more than £2,500 had to be disclosed.
The change in the rules, which was made in 2006, means that Andrew no longer has to declare many of his costly helicopter journeys and flights. He has been nicknamed “Air Miles Andy” for the frequency of his travels, and has faced repeated criticism

Duke of York's helicopter hop costs taxpayer £6,000 - Times Online
:eek:

Daily Express | UK News :: Andrew's trip cost taxpayer £6,000

Of the 16 sites online, including the Dispatches article, they all seem to agree it was £6000.

With the Yorks around, perhaps the BRF need to set up some pretty strigent procedures and internal approval processes before any of the Yorks are allowed near a helicopter or private plane!

There has been some comments about Prince Andrew having to do 4-6 engagements on the said day which he would have been unable to complete using public transpostation or a car. I am sure a better control of his diary and simply ruling out helicopters and private planes in all but absolutely necessary circumstances is what is called for, IMO!

The following news headlines spring to mind:

"Taxpayers Waste Hundreds Of Thousands Of Pounds A Year Buying The Daily Mail"

"Newspaper Wasting Valuable Resources By Printing A Load Of Rubbish"
Absolutely!!

Judging from what I've seen of The Daily Mail, I agree with Bella and Jacknch.

For the most part, it is one nasty paper.

Andrew did not actually come out smelling of roses in the Despatches programme on C4 last night. Did many people watch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom