Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics 16.4.2009

Some funny pics of today's engagement, especially
number 2 and 4 are great :D

HRH Prince Andrew, the United Kingdom's Special Representative for
International Trade and Investment visiting the European High Power
Laser Energy Research (HiPER) facility in Oxfordshire, UK. 16/04/2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Pics 17.4.2009

Prince Andrew visited the Whitgift School golf academy,
opened a new facility and also visited the Hidden Treasures
from the Mary Rose exhibition currently housed at the school,
South Croydon, April 17, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pics 23.4.2009

Since yesterday Prince Andrew is in Canada:

Britain's Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, speaks with a member of the
Princess Louise Fusiliers during a trooping of the colors ceremony at the
Citadel in Halifax, Nova Scotia, April 23, 2009. The prince is the colonel-
in-chief of the Canadian regiment which traces it's origins back to the
founding of the city in 1749.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

saw him on the news last night...he was walking with a noticeable limp.

This definitely seems like more of a Charles story than an Andrew story, but apparently...

UTV News - Andrew, the unlikely eco-warrior

On another note, there were a couple of clips of Prince Andrew on the CBC news tonight (Sunday night) but I never found out what Andrew was doing. I was watching the news with my mom, and in the time it took for her to insist repeatedly that this couldn't be Prince Andrew, and me to assure her that it was, and her to finally reveal that she expected him to look "about 30" because this was the last time she could remember seeing him...I missed what the clip was about! So if any Canadian viewers could enlighten me, that would be appreciated. :)

Pic 30.4.2009

A handout picture released by the Lebanese photo agency Dalati and
Nohra shows Lebanese President Michel Sleiman shaking hands with
Britain's Prince Andrew during a meeting in London on April 30, 2009.
Sleiman is in Britain for a two-day visit.

------> Pic

Pics 7.5.2009

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, speaks aboard HMS Illustrious on
May 7, 2009 in London, England. The Royal Navy is celebrating
the Centenary of Naval Aviation with a flypast over HMS Illustrious
and the Old Royal Naval College today.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Does anyone know what each of the medals was for?

Copy that. And the braid. My son has a braid on his uniform and it's for his division, they were the first division to march through Paris in WWII. What does Prince Andrew's mean?

South Atlantic Medal (with rosette)
Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
Canadian Forces Decoration
New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal

He also has his Garter star and the neck badge of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.

Copy that. And the braid. My son has a braid on his uniform and it's for his division, they were the first division to march through Paris in WWII. What does Prince Andrew's mean?

I think it's because he's a Personal Aide de Camp to the Queen, but I'm not sure.

:previous:
Some more quotes from the article...

...it was a typical day out for the Duke, or any of the members of the Royal family. One of the great unsung virtues of the monarchy is that it reaches the parts of British life rarely touched by national politics... "Air Miles Andy" doesn't exactly get much positive publicity, but I have to say he was approachable, laughed a lot, fired off questions and spoke to anyone who wanted to meet him.

His final visit was to Terry Waters, a French-polishing company, in the pretty village of Hurley Hall. The company's work on the Duke's home at the Royal Lodge in Windsor...has even been admired by that notorious fusspot, the Prince of Wales.

"It's a big day for us," said Mr Waters, who had a plaque made to mark the occasion. His grandchildren had been given the day off school because their head teacher felt a royal visit would live in their memory for ever. The same is true of those flag-waving children, who will never forget that they met the Duke of York.

Pic 11.5.2009

Prince Andrew meets with visiting Chinese Vice Premier Wang
Qishan at the Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 11,

-----> Pic

This is precisely why I like Prince Andrew. Whatever is said about his personal life and his expense accounts, I like his approach when he meets the public.:flowers:

Andrew certainly knows how to go out and talk with people.I was particularly impressed with the way the Duke interacts with school children,encouraging them to learn as much as possible.

Air Miles Andy, his nickname. Prince Andrew does visit the far east quite alot. To see as they say "His oil-rich friends".

I wonder why Prince Charles does not push for a tighter reign on the affairs of his brother - if for no other reason, to reduce the embarassment to the monarchy!

I wonder why Prince Charles does not push for a tighter reign on the affairs of his brother - if for no other reason, to reduce the embarassment to the monarchy!

I say this meaning no offence to Prince Charles.
But are we discussing the same Prince Charles. I do not mean to say this as a bad thing because Prince Charles' gentle kind nature is what makes him who he is but i honestly don't think he has the power to tell his brother what to do.

I say this meaning no offence to Prince Charles.
But are we discussing the same Prince Charles. I do not mean to say this as a bad thing because Prince Charles' gentle kind nature is what makes him who he is but i honestly don't think he has the power to tell his brother what to do.

I agree that Chares may not have the authority to tell his brother what to do whilst their mother is still Queen, but Charles does wield influence with his mother on matters relating to the monarchy, and in particular, areas where the monarchy may be exposed to criticism. This "Air Miles Andy" issue keeps recurring, and more importantly, Charles' own less than frugal lifestyle is brought into focus as a result of this.
Charles is also a member of the Way Ahead Group, that works on the the blue sky vision of the monarchy in the 21st century, and one of the architects of the slimmed down monarchy school of thought!

Maybe because he's the Queen's favorite and doesn't have a wife and happiness that Charles has? Just sayin'. . .

Maybe because he's the Queen's favorite and doesn't have a wife and happiness that Charles has? Just sayin'. . .

Somehow i don't know why but i don't see Andrew as being the apple of his mothers eye. There's something about him. I always think Edward as being the favourite.
Andrew needs to realise on his own that his image is not a very good one at the moment. He needs to clean up his image a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom