The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
.... as long as Andrew keeps telling his dates that Sarah and his daughters come first in his life, he will never remarry.
How wonderful for a 'date' to hear, 'you're OK to take out to dinner and possibly bed, but my ex wife will always take preference', that is just creepy!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Prince Andrew is in Singapore at the moment.

He has called on Singapore President S R Nathan and
Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong.
In his role as UK’s Special Representative for International
Trade and Investment, he's on a five-day working visit to
Singapore from 29 September to 3 October during a three-
country visit to Southeast Asia, taking in Singapore, Vietnam
and Thailand.

Both sides explored opportunities to increase economic
cooperation.

Here's a little ----> Pic.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Pics 5.10.2009

The second part of the travel has started, Prince Andrew
now is in Vietnam:

Prince Andrew shakes hands with Vietnamese Minister for
Planning and Investment, Vo Hong Phuc, at the government's
guest house in Hanoi on October 5, 2009.
During his two-day trip, the prince is to meet Prime Minister
Nguyen Tan Dung and other officials, and visit Vietnamese
and British businesses including Rolls-Royce and HSBC, UK
Trade and Investment.

Andrew has made three previous visits to Vietnam in 1999,
2006 and 2008.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga 1 ** belga 2 **
Old 10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Re: Pic 2 it's unusual seeing flowers being presented to a male. Nice. Thanks for keeping us updated on Prince Andrew, iceflower.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

And speaking of which, what do they (the Royals) do with flowers they are given when they are traveling? You can't pack them all with you!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
And speaking of which, what do they (the Royals) do with flowers they are given when they are traveling? You can't pack them all with you!
Keep them in the hotels they are staying in or give them to local hospitals possible.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Pics 7.10.2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Re: Pic 2; it's unusual seeing flowers being presented to a male. Nice. Thanks for keeping us updated on Prince Andrew, iceflower.
You're welcome I've had the same impression lately when both
CP Mette-Marit AND CP Haakon were presented with flowers at an
event, it looked funny, but nevertheless it's nice and emancipatory!

Now Prince Andrew has started the third and last part of the journey,
he's in Thailand now:

Prince Andrew meets Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva at the Government
House in Bangkok October 7, 2009. Prince Andrew is on a five-day visit to
Thailand to attend the Thailand-UK Joint Economic and Trade Committee.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I know they provide interpretors when needed, but does anybody know how many languages Prince Andrew speaks?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I know they provide interpretors when needed, but does anybody know how many languages Prince Andrew speaks?
I don't know, but you might be surprised at how many well-educated people in foreign countries speak English almost perfectly. I run into people fairly often who've come from other countries to work or study in Canada, and it makes me feel embarrassed about my own language abilities to see how well they speak English, plus three or four other languages!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

It doesn't surprise me, Uncle Menilio's bed and breakfast on Lake Como is run by his kids and they speak 4 languages: English, Italian, French and German. Back in the day, Vicky, Empress Frederick, spoke 3 languages by the time she was 5. I was wondering if the RF kept it up.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to my research he didn't study languages at school (except for any compulsory study required in the 1960s and 1970s in Britain) so I would say that he probably only speaks English but he might also speak some French as his mother is fluent in that language.

These days I do think that the BRF don't learn languages as often as they did just because they aren't studying them at school but seem to be going in for History of Art and other things.

Interesting that Andrew studied English, History, Economics and Politics for his A-levels.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It is an awful shame that BR do not learn languages anymore. I do think he only speaks english.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post

It is an awful shame that BR do not learn languages anymore. I do think he only speaks english.
I think it's a shame too--I was recently reading about Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, and she speaks English, French and German (in addition to Swedish, I guess). Plus she has studied at Yale, completed two internships at the UN, completed basic military training, visited numerous foreign countries, completed numerous different programs of study...and she's only in her early thirties! It's a pretty impresive CV compared to most of the members of the BRF.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think it's a shame too--I was recently reading about Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, and she speaks English, French and German (in addition to Swedish, I guess). Plus she has studied at Yale, completed two internships at the UN, completed basic military training, visited numerous foreign countries, completed numerous different programs of study...and she's only in her early thirties! It's a pretty impresive CV compared to most of the members of the BRF.
Actually, everybody here in the US is lucky if they speak ENGLISH. And none of it's proper either. We are waaaay behind in learning languages and it would be nice if we stepped it up a bit.
Though I agree Rmay, CPVictoria is quite impressive!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Britain, like the US and here in Australia are very well aware of the fact that a lot of the rest of the world learn English as a second, third or fourth language and so see no reason to learn a foreign language, as they will be able to make themselves understood everywhere they go.

Most European education systems require students to learn foreign languages and they fact that other countries are so close makes learning languages a lot more relevant and easier - e.g. if you can go to a foreign country for a weekend practising a foreign language is easier but Britain, due to being an island tends not to do that any more than we do.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Majesty

I believe it's the same with North America. Even with jet travel, we're still relatively isolated. I live in a country founded by two different language groups; and even so, I speak only one language! I'd like to speak French, because many people in my area do. In fact, it's hard to get a government job here unless a person is bilingual.

On the subject of Prince Andrew, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have French as part of his curriculum at Lakefield College. French is pretty well compulsory in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Britain, like the US and here in Australia are very well aware of the fact that a lot of the rest of the world learn English as a second, third or fourth language and so see no reason to learn a foreign language, as they will be able to make themselves understood everywhere they go.

Most European education systems require students to learn foreign languages and they fact that other countries are so close makes learning languages a lot more relevant and easier - e.g. if you can go to a foreign country for a weekend practising a foreign language is easier but Britain, due to being an island tends not to do that any more than we do.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I believe it's the same with North America. Even with jet travel, we're still relatively isolated. I live in a country founded by two different language groups; and even so, I speak only one language! I'd like to speak French, because many people in my area do. In fact, it's hard to get a government job here unless a person is bilingual.

On the subject of Prince Andrew, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have French as part of his curriculum at Lakefield College. French is pretty well compulsory in high school.

Having two terms (less than one year) of study isn't going to make a person fluent in a language.

I studied French for 2.5 years in high school and would be lucky to be able to say hello in the language now as outside the classroom there was never any reason to use the language so I, and my classmates, simply didn't use the language. Strange that none of us continued after Year 10 in French and none of us now speaks any language other than English, despite my school making the study of a foreign language compulsory for the top half of the grade (we could choose French or German but the top class had to choose one).
Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

In Andrews day, French was compulsory, with German as an option in the following years. My sister who is the same age as Andrew and attended public school, speaks umpteen languages, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian and others that I can't remember!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
In Andrews day, French was compulsory, with German as an option in the following years. My sister who is the same age as Andrew and attended public school, speaks umpteen languages, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian and others that I can't remember!
Thank you Skydragon - so he may speak some French although he didn't study it for his A-levels dpeending on how much he has practised it over the years.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Is she available for translating on my upcoming Russian trip???

Do the Princesses speak other languages? Or shall this be cut and pasted over there?

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew