The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Majesty

I see nothing wrong with getting a higher price than the market price value for Sunninghill Park. Prince Andrew asked an XXX amount for his property and got it. Furthermore, I do not view Mr. Rakhat Aliev as a reliable source of information, but rather as a disgruntled former son-in-law, who needs to market his literary creation.
I shall not elaborate on a very unpleasant side, to say the least, almost all businessmen from stable European monarchies tend to show in the foreign lands. The aforementioned individuals are far from being honest in their business dealings. It is all about money and profit margins after all. Furthermore, the quid pro quo mode of operation is not exclusive to Kazakhstan or any of the former Soviet republics.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Majesty

I agree with your point, Al-bina. If we or any of our friends got more money for a sale than was market value, we'd feel that congratulations were in order.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

If it was an honest deal, yes. But Andrew, as a member of the royal family, is supposed to be above apparent dirty deals. Most people in the UK have been in uproar over the claims for MPs expenses, that are considered dishonest, we should be able to expect more from members of the royal family.

Nobody in their right mind would buy a dilapidated property over and above the asking price, in an honest transaction.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Well...since we don't know all the facts...perhaps we shouldn't speculate.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Prince Andrew 'had Lockerbie talks with Gaddafi son'

Quote:
Claims that Prince Andrew held secret ‘detailed discussions’ over the release of the Lockerbie bomber with Colonel Gaddafi’s son were at the centre of a simmering diplomatic row last night.
Libyan officials yesterday claimed the Prince held off-the-record talks with Saif al-Islam Gaddafi days after Libya formally applied for convicted terrorist Abdelbaset Al Megrahi’s release.

But last night, despite the Libyan assertions, Buckingham Palace denied any meetings or discussions had taken place between the Prince and Mr Gaddafi on the issue.
While the DM headline suggests Prince Andrew was indeed part of the Al Megrahi deal, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Buckingham palace categorically denies the Prince's involvement.
Here is the actual quote of the Palace spokesman.

Quote:
‘We can categorically say that no meetings or discussions took place between the Duke of York and Mr Gaddafi in Algiers on any issue. The Duke has only met Mr Gaddafi on two occasions and was unaware they were in Algiers at the same time. It is categorically untrue that the Duke of York met Saif Gaddafi in Algeria.’
Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We can categorically say that no meetings or discussions took place between the Duke of York and Mr Gaddafi in Algiers on any issue. The Duke has only met Mr Gaddafi on two occasions and was unaware they were in Algiers at the same time. It is categorically untrue that the Duke of York met Saif Gaddafi in Algeria.
.Elsewhere perhaps?
Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Courtier

It can be anyone’s guess, although I doubt the Buckingham Palace would play with words like that. So far, we’ve had a report that Prince Andrew had talks with Saif Gaddafi in Algeria. It was categorically denied.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew. If one royal could get dragged into this disaster it had to be Andrew. I hope for his sake the story is a lie.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

It must be tricky sometimes for the royals to avoid political situations. It's easier when they stick to very ceremonial/formal duties, but things get more complicated when they intentionally or unintentionally become mouthpieces of a British government body (ie. Andrew working for UKTI).

Unlike the naysayers, I think Andrew works hard and takes his job seriously, but sometimes I wonder if it's the best position for a member of the royal family. The upper echelons of both business and government are filled with people who have their own agendas and who often are willing to use other people, governments, and businesses to get what they want. Andrew seems intelligent to me, but also a bit naive and someone who's willing to follow orders without asking too many questions (growing up royal + years in the navy). He could easily be out of his depth in UKTI.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Majesty

I fully agree with you. I for one think that Prince Andrew has not met with Saif Gaddafi concerning the release of the person in question. I am inclined to believe the statement from the Buckingham Palace than Daily Mail sensational emotion-fueling reports.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I am inclined to believe the statement from the Buckingham Palace than Daily Mail sensational emotion fueling reports.
The "statement" from Buckingham Palace that you are inclined to believe, was also from The Mail!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Courtier

Now, that’s what I call a wordplay, Sky!
The DM quoted the Buckingham Palace: even they wouldn’t go as far as to actually make up an official statement. Whereas, they are certainly no novices at making up stories about Royals.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Majesty

The Buckingham Palace was forced to react to Daily Mail reports about the secret meeting between Prince Andrew and Mr. Saif Gaddafi. I shall take the details about the meeting in question with a grain of salt unless Daily Mail produces some hard proof (i.e., video).
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Palace only denied any meetings between P Andrew and Gaddafi. No mentioning about any other meetings or involvements.
However, for the sake of P Andrew and the Royal Family I sincerely hope he had absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of the release.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Courtier

No one denies there has actually been some sort of a deal - unfortunately, it is more than apparent there was one: even members of Brown’s Government acknowledged it.
What has been denied though is Prince Andrew’s involvement. I doubt the Buckingham Palace would have risked to deny Andrew’s role so emphatically if any sort of meeting between the Prince and any member of Gaddafi’s family and/or Government had taken place (over this issue, at least).
Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

However, if it was a casual meeting, (cup of tea at The Waldorf for example) and it was mentioned in passing, so to speak, Buckingham Palace could 'in all honesty' deny any meeting to discuss the matter, was held.

The PR teams at BP & CH have been known to bend the truth, as with Williams helicopter episode!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

This is getting ridiculous, again.
Members can either accept or not accept the statement from Buckingham Palace.

We can sit here day after day playing with words and drawing inferences. For example, I note that the BP statement denied a meeting in Algeria, it did not cover the possibility that Andrew may have texted, or phoned, or emailed, or MSN'ed, or Facebooked, or Twittered, or semaphored, or communicated by Morse Code...

So, rather than continuing this pointless game, we'll end it here.

Thanks.
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Pics 15.9.2009

Prince Andrew leaving Harry's Bar, London, Britain,
September 15, 2009 - at "around 11pm" as the caption
says

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
It must be tricky sometimes for the royals to avoid political situations...
I agree totally with your assessment.
I remember thinking when it was announced that Andrew was taking this job that it could be fraught with diplomatic dangers.

Of course the government must feel that having a royal in this position is a good idea as the Duke of Kent had the position before Prince Andrew was given that position so the royals have held it for awhile.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Majesty

Of course, the Duke of Kent is much less high-profile. How often do we see him in the tabloids? When he held this position, how aware were people that a Royal Highness was doing this international trade work? Perhaps people who were directly concerned knew; but for people like me, who don't know the minutae of what minor members of the Royal Family do at all times, he wasn't "on the radar" at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew