Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
French is latin based as is Spanish and Italian, were I royal, I would start there to learn a foreign language. All three are very similar. Wish we knew what languages Andrew spoke. Anybody up to writing a letter to HRH? :D

Give me a language and I give you a letter. :lol: I do think he speaks at least one foreign language. I mean, it really would seem strange to me if not, as already my humble self learned english, french and a bit spanish (and I was raised under a rock :D)... :hmm:

Four helicopter trips in a day for Airmiles Andy | Mail Online

Anyone living close to the M25 knows all about rush-hour misery.
Unless you are Prince Andrew, that is. With a jam-packed day ahead of him, the prince decided to avoid the queues and fly himself to work in a £1,200-an-hour hired helicopter instead.
It was perhaps a surprising decision considering he's supposed to be economising but Buckingham Palace insisted

:previous: Perhaps it is time to learn to organise his diary to exclude 'having no option' but to use a helicopter to get to meetings. Any excuse it would seem!

Give me a language and I give you a letter. :lol: I do think he speaks at least one foreign language. I mean, it really would seem strange to me if not, as already my humble self learned english, french and a bit spanish (and I was raised under a rock :D)... :hmm:

I am sure his secretary will speak more than one language and that is about as far as your letter will get.... :whistling: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards to money, and today's global struggles, it is likely that the Roayls will someway recieve criticism on what the public or government sees as an excess. That's the way it works nowdays....

With regards to money, and today's global struggles, it is likely that the Roayls will someway recieve criticism on what the public or government sees as an excess. That's the way it works nowdays....

As long as money doesn´t grow on trees they will be criticized for their excesses but this is nothing new.
If the Prince can´t get to appointments without taking a helicopter he had better accept fewer and nearer home or as Sky said work out his schedule a bit better.

You know his 50th birthday is coming up. Maybe a bright, shiney Budgie from QEII is at the top of it?? :D

I got the same impression of him whilst watching an interview on YouTube...

Yes, I got the same impression from the interview. I looked at one of the FT's other interviews and it seemed to have the same tendency towards poking fun at the interviewee, so maybe they do that with everyone?

But yeah, I've always thought Andrew was naive. Actually, a lot of the members of the royal family come across as naive to me. I watched "The Royal Family at Work" on YouTube and some of them were hilarious...especially the Duke of Gloucester. :lol: He was just so terribly dry and formal and vaguely clueless.

However: I think Andrew and the Queen are two people in the royal family who strike me as being genuinely naive, as in, it's part of their personalities and not just their upbringing. In fact I think naivety is something I think Andrew and Sarah had and still have very much in common. Sometimes when either of them are accused of being patronizing or pompous, I look at them and think they're actually sincere and well-intentioned...just for some reason not very worldly-wise.

I love how in that interview, Andrew comes across as having such a blind dedication to duty. His suitcase-in-the-baggage-compartment-analogy amused me very much. And his naval metaphors. And the fact that he carries around The Art of War everywhere he goes. It's clear that he might have left the Navy, but the Navy hasn't left him. ;) I know someone in the military who was like this, actually--left the military, tried to do a completely different job, but kept making military references all the time. Finally he went back to the military. :lol:

Yes, I got the same impression from the interview. I looked at one of the FT's other interviews and it seemed to have the same tendency towards poking fun at the interviewee, so maybe they do that with everyone?

But yeah, I've always thought Andrew was naive. Actually, a lot of the members of the royal family come across as naive to me. I watched "The Royal Family at Work" on YouTube and some of them were hilarious...especially the Duke of Gloucester. :lol: He was just so terribly dry and formal and vaguely clueless.

However: I think Andrew and the Queen are two people in the royal family who strike me as being genuinely naive, as in, it's part of their personalities and not just their upbringing. In fact I think naivety is something I think Andrew and Sarah had and still have very much in common. Sometimes when either of them are accused of being patronizing or pompous, I look at them and think they're actually sincere and well-intentioned...just for some reason not very worldly-wise.

I love how in that interview, Andrew comes across as having such a blind dedication to duty. His suitcase-in-the-baggage-compartment-analogy amused me very much. And his naval metaphors. And the fact that he carries around The Art of War everywhere he goes. It's clear that he might have left the Navy, but the Navy hasn't left him. ;) I know someone in the military who was like this, actually--left the military, tried to do a completely different job, but kept making military references all the time. Finally he went back to the military. :lol:
Actually, that's an excellent way of looking at this. Being in the BRF there is no way that they (the BRF) have a "normal" life in dealing and experiencing life like the rest of us.

I just watched "The royal family at work" three days ago and it was indeed hilarious, especially the Duke of Gloucester. :D Andrew as well came quite likable & funny across IMO. And you could be very right with your assumption that Andrew & Sarah shared the naivety.

... However: I think Andrew and the Queen are two people in the royal family who strike me as being genuinely naive, as in, it's part of their personalities and not just their upbringing. ...
HM could never be described as naive, Andrew on the other hand has always been called thick. I am not saying this is my opinion.

In an interview in the Daily Telegraph the Duke implied criticism of ministers for failing to adequately to make the case for the conflict. “It all comes back to leadership. They [the soldiers] want to know the leadership is interested and concerned in their welfare. They are tremendously loyal people fighting in a campaign.

Duke of York urges more support for troops - Telegraph
:flowers::flowers:

Followed by this article -

Andrew told the newspaper: "I don't want to demonise the banking and financial sector. Bonuses, in the scheme of things, are minute. They are easy to target. A number will have abused their privilege of a bonus, so get rid of the excesses, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Duke of York defends bankers' bonuses - Home News, UK - The Independent

Oh dear. :eek:

However: I think Andrew and the Queen are two people in the royal family who strike me as being genuinely naive, as in, it's part of their personalities and not just their upbringing.
I should think that flying in the theatre of war would have finished just about every iota of naivity Andrew had and as to Her Majesty . . .you have got to be joking. She has been a sounding board for the British Prime Ministers since the sucession. I fail to see how she could remain in the least bit naive in that arena nor any other.
I love how in that interview, Andrew comes across as having such a blind dedication to duty . . . . . . And the fact that he carries around The Art of War everywhere he goes. It's clear that he might have left the Navy, but the Navy hasn't left him . . . . . :lol:
So being committed to his job is seen as blind dedication to duty. How is it that having integrity or being a man of his word, or maybe just wanting to do the right thing has become a source of amusement? And people wonder where the ever growing phenomena of moral turpitude comes from.

As to "The Art of War"? I think you've got the wrong idea about SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR -THE OLDEST MILITARY TREATISE IN THE WORLD. It is full of analogies that translate as easily to war as to any other situation . . . . like trade! Had he not been organised and militarily methodical, Winsor Castle may have lost an awful lot of irreplaceable art etc. in the fire.

The reason people still reference this book is that it is still relevent to the day. I suggest you give it a whirl.

I should think that flying in the theatre of war would have finished just about every iota of naivity Andrew had and as to Her Majesty . . .you have got to be joking. She has been a sounding board for the British Prime Ministers since the sucession. I fail to see how she could remain in the least bit naive in that arena nor any other.
So being committed to his job is seen as blind dedication to duty. How is it that having integrity or being a man of his word, or maybe just wanting to do the right thing has become a source of amusement? And people wonder where the ever growing phenomena of moral turpitude comes from.

As to "The Art of War"? I think you've got the wrong idea about SUN TZU ON THE ART OF WAR -THE OLDEST MILITARY TREATISE IN THE WORLD. It is full of analogies that translate as easily to war as to any other situation . . . . like trade! Had he not been organised and militarily methodical, Winsor Castle may have lost an awful lot of irreplaceable art etc. in the fire.

The reason people still reference this book is that it is still relevent to the day. I suggest you give it a whirl.

I have read about "The Art of War," I think it dates back 1500 years or so, and yes, it is used in business as a kind of aid to strategic diplomacy. I'm sure it's a classic book even though I haven't read it.

I like Andrew (not so impressed with his latest interviews, but...). I wasn't criticizing him. "Naive" to me is not derogatory. "Naive" and "thick" have totally different meanings in my mind. I just found it sort of...endearing maybe...that Andrew took his military career so much to heart, with all the military references, because I know people like that. The kind of naivete I meant was someone who is a little sheltered from the realities of life, who takes the values they've been raised with very much to heart and doesn't question them, who tends to think the best of the world and be an optimist. I didn't mean naive in a negative way at all: I meant naive in a complimentary sense, as opposed to "cynical" or even as opposed to "worldly" (with all its all connotations of being morally corrupt). And honestly, both the Queen and Andrew come across as naive to me in that sense, more so than others in the royal family. I can see Philip, Anne and Edward being cynical more than Queen Elizabeth and Prince Andrew.

Andrew's latest interviews about his job and the banking sector and so on...:ermm: Not good. Talking about his "genetics" and "pedigree," and saying bankers' bonuses aren't a big problem--this is not going to go over well with the general public, especially from someone that people already see as an entitled royal. I don't think he meant things exactly the way they came across, but he still said them.

Edited to add: I don't think this got posted, but it seems to be the larger version of the interview.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-on-airmiles-the-military-and-his-family.html

Andrew was in Egypt today:

Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, views names of Commonwealth soldiers
who died at the crucial Battle of El Alamein during commemoration
ceremonies at the Commonwealth Cemetery in EL Alamein, 24 October 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Marg I really hope that you didn´t mean to be as condescending as your post sounds :ermm: Perhaps Andrew likes to carry this book around so that he can bring it out and show how intellectual he is? This has been done you know.
If he has been called "thick" by his fellow citizens in the UK there just might be a reason for it, but no one that I know of has ever said this about The Queen.
The book is still relevant, otherwise it wouldn´t still be on sale so long after it was written and it is really worth reading (yes, I have read it and it is on our bookshelf, in fact there are two, one in English).
Did you really mean "give it a whirl" or was that a Freudian slip, I keep thinking of helicopters when I hear that word. :flowers:

Prince Andrew last night launched an astonishing defence of bankers' bonuses and declared them 'minute'.
The Duke of York, whose globe-trotting across 23 countries last year cost the taxpayer £140,000, made the extraordinary claim in a frank interview. He spoke of his shock at the scale of the recession but warned against victimising bankers

Read more: Prince Andrew defends bankers' bonuses even as economy stays mired in recession | Mail Online
He excused his own expense calling himself an ' asset' with a genetic right to be an ambassador for Britain. Britain’s special representative for trade and investment said the cost of funding his own travels was an 'investment'.
What a stupid thing to say, he should perhaps have said the only reason I have the job is because they didn't know what else to do with me. Does he deserve it, is he up to it - 46% of companies he was supposed to help say not according to the Telegraph article posted a few days ago!
- - - - -
It gets worse :eek: -

Prince Andrew has been criticised for meddling in party politics after urging the Government to preserve a controversial loophole that allows Britain’s wealthiest residents to avoid paying millions of pounds in tax each year.
Gordon Brown has pledged to axe rules allowing wealthy ‘non-domiciled’ foreigners living in Britain to escape UK tax on foreign earnings which they keep abroad.

Andrew is either very naive or plain stupid. :ermm:
Making comments like that during the times of economical recession isn't going to win him, or the Royal Family, any friends.

Andrew just drops himself in it the majority of the time. He should learn to be more tactful especially at this present time.
I'm sorry "a genetic right to be an ambassador for Britain" why?
Yes he is a member of the royal family, but that is a privelge in itself, that doesn't mean he is automatically more british than the rest of us, quite the opposite actually. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that most male members of the Royal Family are genetically inclined to make comments that are unpopular and lacking much forethought, and so it really does come as no surprise to me that Prince Andrew has said these things. In my opinion, he is perfectly entitled to say what he likes, but I would rather he have his royal status removed so as not to cause any further embarrassment to the institution of the monarchy, which relies on the people of this country having faith in those most closely associated with it.

Just to clarify my earlier comment about wanting the Duke of York to have his royal status removed, I meant to say that this ought to be the case if he wishes to make comments that will be unpopular with the British public or are of a political nature. Having said that, I'm all for the Monarch her/himself to have more political influence.

Apparently Prince Andrew is in Dubai, UAE. He visited the Dubai metro.
Caught a small clip on the news this evening.

And in the picture behind them you'll see a falcon. Wonder if it's related to the one PA received recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom