Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to my research he didn't study languages at school (except for any compulsory study required in the 1960s and 1970s in Britain) so I would say that he probably only speaks English but he might also speak some French as his mother is fluent in that language.

These days I do think that the BRF don't learn languages as often as they did just because they aren't studying them at school but seem to be going in for History of Art and other things.

Interesting that Andrew studied English, History, Economics and Politics for his A-levels.

:previous:
It is an awful shame that BR do not learn languages anymore. I do think he only speaks english. :)

It is an awful shame that BR do not learn languages anymore. I do think he only speaks english. :)

I think it's a shame too--I was recently reading about Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, and she speaks English, French and German (in addition to Swedish, I guess). Plus she has studied at Yale, completed two internships at the UN, completed basic military training, visited numerous foreign countries, completed numerous different programs of study...and she's only in her early thirties! It's a pretty impresive CV compared to most of the members of the BRF.

I think it's a shame too--I was recently reading about Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, and she speaks English, French and German (in addition to Swedish, I guess). Plus she has studied at Yale, completed two internships at the UN, completed basic military training, visited numerous foreign countries, completed numerous different programs of study...and she's only in her early thirties! It's a pretty impresive CV compared to most of the members of the BRF.
Actually, everybody here in the US is lucky if they speak ENGLISH. And none of it's proper either. We are waaaay behind in learning languages and it would be nice if we stepped it up a bit.
Though I agree Rmay, CPVictoria is quite impressive!

Britain, like the US and here in Australia are very well aware of the fact that a lot of the rest of the world learn English as a second, third or fourth language and so see no reason to learn a foreign language, as they will be able to make themselves understood everywhere they go.

Most European education systems require students to learn foreign languages and they fact that other countries are so close makes learning languages a lot more relevant and easier - e.g. if you can go to a foreign country for a weekend practising a foreign language is easier but Britain, due to being an island tends not to do that any more than we do.

I believe it's the same with North America. Even with jet travel, we're still relatively isolated. I live in a country founded by two different language groups; and even so, I speak only one language! I'd like to speak French, because many people in my area do. In fact, it's hard to get a government job here unless a person is bilingual.

On the subject of Prince Andrew, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have French as part of his curriculum at Lakefield College. French is pretty well compulsory in high school.

Britain, like the US and here in Australia are very well aware of the fact that a lot of the rest of the world learn English as a second, third or fourth language and so see no reason to learn a foreign language, as they will be able to make themselves understood everywhere they go.

Most European education systems require students to learn foreign languages and they fact that other countries are so close makes learning languages a lot more relevant and easier - e.g. if you can go to a foreign country for a weekend practising a foreign language is easier but Britain, due to being an island tends not to do that any more than we do.

Last edited:
I believe it's the same with North America. Even with jet travel, we're still relatively isolated. I live in a country founded by two different language groups; and even so, I speak only one language! I'd like to speak French, because many people in my area do. In fact, it's hard to get a government job here unless a person is bilingual.

On the subject of Prince Andrew, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have French as part of his curriculum at Lakefield College. French is pretty well compulsory in high school.

Having two terms (less than one year) of study isn't going to make a person fluent in a language.

I studied French for 2.5 years in high school and would be lucky to be able to say hello in the language now as outside the classroom there was never any reason to use the language so I, and my classmates, simply didn't use the language. Strange that none of us continued after Year 10 in French and none of us now speaks any language other than English, despite my school making the study of a foreign language compulsory for the top half of the grade (we could choose French or German but the top class had to choose one).

In Andrews day, French was compulsory, with German as an option in the following years. My sister who is the same age as Andrew and attended public school, speaks umpteen languages, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian and others that I can't remember!:D

In Andrews day, French was compulsory, with German as an option in the following years. My sister who is the same age as Andrew and attended public school, speaks umpteen languages, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian and others that I can't remember!:D

Thank you Skydragon - so he may speak some French although he didn't study it for his A-levels dpeending on how much he has practised it over the years.

Is she available for translating on my upcoming Russian trip??? :D

Do the Princesses speak other languages? Or shall this be cut and pasted over there?

I grew up in Nova Scotia, where French became part of the curriculum in Grade 7. If I had to survive in French on a temporary basis (let's say a weekend), I probably could. I can ask where the bathroom is and order food. IOW, I can take care of two of life's basic necessities. :lol: We learned Parisian French, not Canadian French, but at least it was conversational and not the grammar-based French that my older sister would have learned.

Having two terms (less than one year) of study isn't going to make a person fluent in a language.

Austerity Andy: Fed up with his 'Air Miles' nickname, Prince Andrew slashes expenses by 30 per cent

Prince Andrew has been advised by independent auditors on how to cut his spending.

The prince, who has faced much criticism of profligate handling of taxpayers' money on his travels, underwent a detailed review of his work by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
The firm advised him to take tighter control of his budgets in order to cut costs on everything from air fares to hotels.

The Duke of York has long despaired about his poor public image since being appointed the UK's Special Representative for International Trade and Investment in 2001.
Expensive trips have earned him the nickname 'Air Miles Andy'.

He privately commissioned the audit two years ago, but details of it emerged yesterday when his private office issued the first annual review into his role selling British business abroad.

:previous: I think it's terrific that he has assessed his situation, commissioned an internal audit, identified what specifically generates the problems and is acting on those recommendations.

It takes guts to look at yourself though a "public" mirror and integrity to commit to change. Good luck to him! :cool:

can i point out that the majority (not every one may i add) of welsh, scottish and N.Irish pepole can speak english and either cymraig (welsh), scottish gallic or irish gaelic and are part of britain. Prince Charles even attempted to learn welsh so andrew may speak a little french we just may not know about it

can i point out that the majority of welsh scottish and N.I pepole can speak english and either cymraig (welsh), scottish gallic or irish gaelic and are part of britain. Prince Charles even attempted to learn welsh so andrew may speak a little french we just may not know about it

I must admit that I was aware that many people in these areas spoke a language other than English (as do the Cornish people).

I'd be surprised if Andrew didn't speak some French, even if only because he's a Canadian prince and might need to speak French or give part of a speech in the language.

If he doesn't speak French at all, that's another reason to think Sarah naive for ever thinking that Andrew could be Governor General here.

Prince Charles even attempted to learn welsh so andrew may speak a little french we just may not know about it

I'd be surprised if Andrew didn't speak some French, even if only because he's a Canadian prince and might need to speak French or give part of a speech in the language.

If he doesn't speak French at all, that's another reason to think Sarah naive for ever thinking that Andrew could be Governor General here.

I am surprised that you describe Andrew as a Canadian Prince.

He, along with the rest of the Queen's family don't have any status here in Australia e.g. they are NOT Princes of Australia so I am surprised that Canada actually recognises them all with those titles.

As for speaking the language of one of the Queen's realms - do they all speak ALL the languages of all the realms because if not they are discriminating and that surely wouldn't be expected. I doubt if any of them speak the full range of languages needed, so do French Canadians think that they should speak their language when they don't speak Maori for instance, let alone all the Aboriginal languages of Australia or the languages of the Canadian First Nations (and to speak one language because they might have to speak to some people from that part of one of the Queen's realms and not be able to speak all of them is unfair).

I'd as well be a bit surprised if Andrew doesn't speak any other language than english as I always thought it was part of the understatement/business of a Prince and his education. But only my assumption. :) Of course french is less more popular and needed than a couple of decades ago.

He, along with the rest of the Queen's family don't have any status here in Australia e.g. they are NOT Princes of Australia so I am surprised that Canada actually recognises them all with those titles.

I'm not quite sure what Canada recognizes. They're really quite vague about it. The Queen mentioned a "Canadian Royal Family" in a speech once, and the Department of National Defence states that there are members of the royal family that owe allegiance to the Queen in her capacity as Queen of Canada, but neither Her Majesty nor her ministry cared to share any more than that.

For public figures (i.e. those in high office) in Canada not to be able to speak French is considered very bad form.
When the Prime Minister gives a speech, for instance, part of it is in English and part of it is in French, even if he's speaking in the USA.

The Governors General have a pattern of Francophone/Anglophone (French-speaker/English speaker) as well. Michelle Jean is a Francophone from Haiti, and so the next GG will most likely be an English-speaker. Michelle Jean's predecessor, Adrian Clarkson, is an English-speaker from Hong Kong. Both women are journalists.

Language is a sensitive issue here, and so it's just good diplomacy to be able to speak both languages. English and French are both considered official languages, but the aboriginal languages aren't. It all has to do with the history of the founding of the modern nation of Canada and agreements that were made between the British and the French.

The members of the Royal Family aren't ever described as "Princes/ss of Canada", but there's a convention that they're considered Canadian when they're here.

As for speaking the language of one of the Queen's realms - do they all speak ALL the languages of all the realms because if not they are discriminating and that surely wouldn't be expected.

Thank you for that Mermaid. After reading this there is no excuse for anyone not to understand the Canadian position on the BRF and of course the French language.
As an extra note the so called "good" schools in England start their students on French very early on, in primary school, or they did in my day and my mother´s.

:previous:Very few I would think, young ladies went to finishing school to learn languages back in the 50-70s. Boys took French as a compulsory subject when they moved up to secondary education at public school. I believe it was the late 60s when a second language became part of the school curriculum in state schools, again within secondary education.

Time will tell whether Andrew cuts his spending and excessive travel costs, or if it is his staff who have to do without. :ermm:

:previous:Very few I would think, young ladies went to finishing school to learn languages back in the 50-70s. Boys took French as a compulsory subject when they moved up to secondary education at public school. I believe it was the late 60s when a second language became part of the school curriculum in state schools, again within secondary education.

Time will tell whether Andrew cuts his spending and excessive travel costs, or if it is his staff who have to do without. :ermm:

He already has cut his travel expenses by 325,000 pounds and his other expenses by 30%, according to the article, which seems pretty significant. If the interview in the article is true, it's not just the staff's expenses that have been cut back, but Andrew's as well, because he's now been staying in less expensive hotels.

It does surprise me that Andrew's staff didn't research the costs of the hotels before. They could learn something from my dad! (He's a perfectionist about finding the best deal possible online before he goes anywhere.)

Even though I am Canadian and live in a city with a significant francophone population, I don't really expect the royal family to be able to speak French well. It would be very good if they could, but the Queen is, after all, the head of many Commonwealth countries--not just Canada--and she can't be expected to learn the second languages of all of them.

He already has cut his travel expenses by 325,000 pounds and his other expenses by 30%, according to the article, which seems pretty significant. If the interview in the article is true, it's not just the staff's expenses that have been cut back, but Andrew's as well, because he's now been staying in less expensive hotels.
Apparently not according to the figures shown here
The figures, obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, showed a rise of 50 per cent over the previous year as the Duke billed the taxpayer for £207,000 in expenses for his overseas trips, excluding flights.
He also billed the taxpayer for £4,400 in "associated activities including lunches, dinners, receptions in UK etc
Duke of York's expenses claims jump to £4,000 a week - Telegraph
:flowers:

No...that was the difference between 2006/2007 and 2007/2008.
It increased by 50% and has now been cut by 30%, that still leaves a rise of 20%, therefore I stand by my apparently not!

Had he cut his expenditure by the 50% or slightly more, then we might have been looking at an effort to reduce expenditure, but I see nothing to suggest a genuine reduction.

I'd as well be a bit surprised if Andrew doesn't speak any other language than english as I always thought it was part of the understatement/business of a Prince and his education. But only my assumption. :) Of course french is less more popular and needed than a couple of decades ago.
French is latin based as is Spanish and Italian, were I royal, I would start there to learn a foreign language. All three are very similar. Wish we knew what languages Andrew spoke. Anybody up to writing a letter to HRH? :D

While the eccentric Baron Steven Bentinck has spent the past four years in a bitter divorce battle with his actress wife Lisa Hogan, he has been extraordinarily magnanimous towards the Duke of York, who had booked the former playboy's ski chalet in the Swiss Alps for a week next year at a cost of £65,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom