Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 4: September 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Andrew could attempt to become a professional golfer after managing to get his handicap down to four.

The fourth in line to the throne could now apply to the Professional Golfers Association to take up the sport full-time, to become either a teaching professional or to compete on one of the professional circuits

Prince Andrew eligible for pro golf - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

:rolleyes:

I think it's kind of funny that Andrew's golfing is sometimes singled out as this particularly useless hobby, like none of the other royals play sports in their spare time. I can see why it bothers people when Andrew is accused of combining business trips with golf, but Prince Philip had carriage driving, Charles and his sons play polo, the Queen watches horse races...all the royals have some kind of sports-related hobby.

Perhaps, if people played golf on horseback, the attitude would be completely different.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why it bothers people when Andrew is accused of combining business trips with golf, but Prince Philip had carriage driving, Charles and his sons play polo, the Queen watches horse races...all the royals have some kind of sports-related hobby.
None of which they did whilst supposedly working for UKTI! :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------
A luxury ski holiday company has called in liquidators after failing to attract enough customers, leaving Britain's Prince Andrew out of pocket by nearly 27,000 pounds ($44,710).

Prince Andrew out of pocket as ski firm goes under | Entertainment | People | Reuters

:previous: Unfortunately the delay in publishing this report, is IMO suspicious. I believe I posted an article detailing dinners etc the cost of which appear to be excluded.
There is not a word of criticism about the prince in the PWC report and it is hugely supportive of his work - though it is not always easy to quantify how much of the deal-clinching is down to him.
There wouldn't be any criticism, it would have been left out, after all he commissioned it!:cool:

It is telling that they say it is difficult to quantify whether contracts were awarded because of him, IMO they were probably awarded because it was the best deal on the table at the time.:rolleyes:

The controversial president of Kazakhstan paid £3million above the market value for Prince Andrew ... [snipped]
A high-profile foreign ambassador could be expelled from Britain after it was revealed that top secret intelligence files suggest he is a KGB spy. ... [snipped]
This scandal is quite pathetic. However, I am not too surprised. It is not about KGB or KNB, its equivalent in modern Kazakhstan, but more about observing the country's or one's personal interests and taking care of business the way British businessmen tend to do.

This scandal is quite pathetic. However, I am not too surprised. It is not about KGB or KNB, its equivalent in modern Kazakhstan, but more about observing the country's or one's personal interests and taking care of business the way British businessmen tend to do.
Not all British businessmen one would hope, (although it may be the custom in some places) and certainly not a member of the Royal family!:eek:

I see nothing wrong with getting a higher price than the market price value for Sunninghill Park. Prince Andrew asked an XXX amount for his property and got it. Furthermore, I do not view Mr. Rakhat Aliev as a reliable source of information, but rather as a disgruntled former son-in-law, who needs to market his literary creation.
I shall not elaborate on a very unpleasant side, to say the least, almost all businessmen from stable European monarchies tend to show in the foreign lands. The aforementioned individuals are far from being honest in their business dealings. It is all about money and profit margins after all. Furthermore, the quid pro quo mode of operation is not exclusive to Kazakhstan or any of the former Soviet republics.

I agree with your point, Al-bina. If we or any of our friends got more money for a sale than was market value, we'd feel that congratulations were in order.:flowers:

:previous:If it was an honest deal, yes. But Andrew, as a member of the royal family, is supposed to be above apparent dirty deals. Most people in the UK have been in uproar over the claims for MPs expenses, that are considered dishonest, we should be able to expect more from members of the royal family.

Nobody in their right mind would buy a dilapidated property over and above the asking price, in an honest transaction.

Well...since we don't know all the facts...perhaps we shouldn't speculate.

Prince Andrew 'had Lockerbie talks with Gaddafi son'

Claims that Prince Andrew held secret ‘detailed discussions’ over the release of the Lockerbie bomber with Colonel Gaddafi’s son were at the centre of a simmering diplomatic row last night.
Libyan officials yesterday claimed the Prince held off-the-record talks with Saif al-Islam Gaddafi days after Libya formally applied for convicted terrorist Abdelbaset Al Megrahi’s release.

But last night, despite the Libyan assertions, Buckingham Palace denied any meetings or discussions had taken place between the Prince and Mr Gaddafi on the issue.

While the DM headline suggests Prince Andrew was indeed part of the Al Megrahi deal, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Buckingham palace categorically denies the Prince's involvement.
Here is the actual quote of the Palace spokesman.

‘We can categorically say that no meetings or discussions took place between the Duke of York and Mr Gaddafi in Algiers on any issue. The Duke has only met Mr Gaddafi on two occasions and was unaware they were in Algiers at the same time. It is categorically untrue that the Duke of York met Saif Gaddafi in Algeria.’

:previous:
We can categorically say that no meetings or discussions took place between the Duke of York and Mr Gaddafi in Algiers on any issue. The Duke has only met Mr Gaddafi on two occasions and was unaware they were in Algiers at the same time. It is categorically untrue that the Duke of York met Saif Gaddafi in Algeria.
.Elsewhere perhaps?

It can be anyone’s guess, although I doubt the Buckingham Palace would play with words like that. So far, we’ve had a report that Prince Andrew had talks with Saif Gaddafi in Algeria. It was categorically denied.

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew. If one royal could get dragged into this disaster it had to be Andrew. I hope for his sake the story is a lie. :)

It must be tricky sometimes for the royals to avoid political situations. It's easier when they stick to very ceremonial/formal duties, but things get more complicated when they intentionally or unintentionally become mouthpieces of a British government body (ie. Andrew working for UKTI).

Unlike the naysayers, I think Andrew works hard and takes his job seriously, but sometimes I wonder if it's the best position for a member of the royal family. The upper echelons of both business and government are filled with people who have their own agendas and who often are willing to use other people, governments, and businesses to get what they want. Andrew seems intelligent to me, but also a bit naive and someone who's willing to follow orders without asking too many questions (growing up royal + years in the navy). He could easily be out of his depth in UKTI.

I fully agree with you. I for one think that Prince Andrew has not met with Saif Gaddafi concerning the release of the person in question. I am inclined to believe the statement from the Buckingham Palace than Daily Mail sensational emotion-fueling reports.

I am inclined to believe the statement from the Buckingham Palace than Daily Mail sensational emotion fueling reports.
The "statement" from Buckingham Palace that you are inclined to believe, was also from The Mail! :whistling:

Now, that’s what I call a wordplay, Sky! :D ;)
The DM quoted the Buckingham Palace: even they wouldn’t go as far as to actually make up an official statement. Whereas, they are certainly no novices at making up stories about Royals.

The Buckingham Palace was forced to react to Daily Mail reports about the secret meeting between Prince Andrew and Mr. Saif Gaddafi. I shall take the details about the meeting in question with a grain of salt unless Daily Mail produces some hard proof (i.e., video).

The Palace only denied any meetings between P Andrew and Gaddafi. No mentioning about any other meetings or involvements.
However, for the sake of P Andrew and the Royal Family I sincerely hope he had absolutely nothing to do with any aspect of the release.

No one denies there has actually been some sort of a deal - unfortunately, it is more than apparent there was one: even members of Brown’s Government acknowledged it.
What has been denied though is Prince Andrew’s involvement. I doubt the Buckingham Palace would have risked to deny Andrew’s role so emphatically if any sort of meeting between the Prince and any member of Gaddafi’s family and/or Government had taken place (over this issue, at least).

However, if it was a casual meeting, (cup of tea at The Waldorf for example) and it was mentioned in passing, so to speak, Buckingham Palace could 'in all honesty' deny any meeting to discuss the matter, was held.

The PR teams at BP & CH have been known to bend the truth, as with Williams helicopter episode!

This is getting ridiculous, again.
Members can either accept or not accept the statement from Buckingham Palace.

We can sit here day after day playing with words and drawing inferences. For example, I note that the BP statement denied a meeting in Algeria, it did not cover the possibility that Andrew may have texted, or phoned, or emailed, or MSN'ed, or Facebooked, or Twittered, or semaphored, or communicated by Morse Code...

So, rather than continuing this pointless game, we'll end it here.

Thanks.
Warren
British Forums moderator

Pics 15.9.2009

Prince Andrew leaving Harry's Bar, London, Britain,
September 15, 2009 - at "around 11pm" as the caption
says ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It must be tricky sometimes for the royals to avoid political situations...
I agree totally with your assessment.
I remember thinking when it was announced that Andrew was taking this job that it could be fraught with diplomatic dangers.

Of course the government must feel that having a royal in this position is a good idea as the Duke of Kent had the position before Prince Andrew was given that position so the royals have held it for awhile.

Of course, the Duke of Kent is much less high-profile. How often do we see him in the tabloids? When he held this position, how aware were people that a Royal Highness was doing this international trade work? Perhaps people who were directly concerned knew; but for people like me, who don't know the minutae of what minor members of the Royal Family do at all times, he wasn't "on the radar" at all.:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom