The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Pic 30.4.2009

A handout picture released by the Lebanese photo agency Dalati and
Nohra shows Lebanese President Michel Sleiman shaking hands with
Britain's Prince Andrew during a meeting in London on April 30, 2009.
Sleiman is in Britain for a two-day visit.

------> Pic

Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Majesty

I wonder why he was limping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
saw him on the news last night...he was walking with a noticeable limp.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
Majesty

That was a good article. Too bad that it ended on a snarky note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
This definitely seems like more of a Charles story than an Andrew story, but apparently...

UTV News - Andrew, the unlikely eco-warrior
Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Pics 7.5.2009

Prince Andrew, Duke of York, speaks aboard HMS Illustrious on
May 7, 2009 in London, England. The Royal Navy is celebrating
the Centenary of Naval Aviation with a flypast over HMS Illustrious
and the Old Royal Naval College today.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know what each of the medals was for?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
Copy that. And the braid. My son has a braid on his uniform and it's for his division, they were the first division to march through Paris in WWII. What does Prince Andrew's mean?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
South Atlantic Medal (with rosette)
Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
Canadian Forces Decoration
New Zealand 1990 Commemoration Medal

He also has his Garter star and the neck badge of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Copy that. And the braid. My son has a braid on his uniform and it's for his division, they were the first division to march through Paris in WWII. What does Prince Andrew's mean?
I think it's because he's a Personal Aide de Camp to the Queen, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

'Which one is the Prince?" the little boy shouted, as he furiously waved his home-made Union flag. The imposing figure in a charcoal-grey suit swiftly turned round, pointed in my direction, and declared: "It's him!"

Was this chatty, affable man really Prince Andrew? - Telegraph
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Andrew on board British Royal Navy aicraft carrier HMS Illustrious moored in the River Thames in Greenwich, London on 07 May 2009.

The courtesy of Belga Agency.
BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Majesty

This is precisely why I like Prince Andrew. Whatever is said about his personal life and his expense accounts, I like his approach when he meets the public.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Some more quotes from the article...

...it was a typical day out for the Duke, or any of the members of the Royal family. One of the great unsung virtues of the monarchy is that it reaches the parts of British life rarely touched by national politics... "Air Miles Andy" doesn't exactly get much positive publicity, but I have to say he was approachable, laughed a lot, fired off questions and spoke to anyone who wanted to meet him.

His final visit was to Terry Waters, a French-polishing company, in the pretty village of Hurley Hall. The company's work on the Duke's home at the Royal Lodge in Windsor...has even been admired by that notorious fusspot, the Prince of Wales.

"It's a big day for us," said Mr Waters, who had a plaque made to mark the occasion. His grandchildren had been given the day off school because their head teacher felt a royal visit would live in their memory for ever. The same is true of those flag-waving children, who will never forget that they met the Duke of York.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Pic 11.5.2009

Prince Andrew meets with visiting Chinese Vice Premier Wang
Qishan at the Buckingham Palace in London, Britain, May 11,

-----> Pic
Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
This is precisely why I like Prince Andrew. Whatever is said about his personal life and his expense accounts, I like his approach when he meets the public.
Andrew certainly knows how to go out and talk with people.I was particularly impressed with the way the Duke interacts with school children,encouraging them to learn as much as possible.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Andrew has been accused of squandering an estimated £60,000 of public money by chartering a luxury private jet for a three-day visit to a corrupt ex-Soviet republic

Azerbaijan Andy... Prince takes £60k private jet to see oil-rich friends in hardline ex-Soviet state | Mail Online
Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Prince Andrew has been accused of squandering an estimated £60,000 of public money by chartering a luxury private jet for a three-day visit to a corrupt ex-Soviet republic

Azerbaijan Andy... Prince takes £60k private jet to see oil-rich friends in hardline ex-Soviet state | Mail Online
Air Miles Andy, his nickname. Prince Andrew does visit the far east quite alot. To see as they say "His oil-rich friends".
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Air Miles Andy, his nickname. Prince Andrew does visit the far east quite alot. To see as they say "His oil-rich friends".
I wonder why Prince Charles does not push for a tighter reign on the affairs of his brother - if for no other reason, to reduce the embarassment to the monarchy!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I wonder why Prince Charles does not push for a tighter reign on the affairs of his brother - if for no other reason, to reduce the embarassment to the monarchy!
I say this meaning no offence to Prince Charles.
But are we discussing the same Prince Charles. I do not mean to say this as a bad thing because Prince Charles' gentle kind nature is what makes him who he is but i honestly don't think he has the power to tell his brother what to do.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I say this meaning no offence to Prince Charles.
But are we discussing the same Prince Charles. I do not mean to say this as a bad thing because Prince Charles' gentle kind nature is what makes him who he is but i honestly don't think he has the power to tell his brother what to do.
I agree that Chares may not have the authority to tell his brother what to do whilst their mother is still Queen, but Charles does wield influence with his mother on matters relating to the monarchy, and in particular, areas where the monarchy may be exposed to criticism. This "Air Miles Andy" issue keeps recurring, and more importantly, Charles' own less than frugal lifestyle is brought into focus as a result of this.
Charles is also a member of the Way Ahead Group, that works on the the blue sky vision of the monarchy in the 21st century, and one of the architects of the slimmed down monarchy school of thought!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Maybe because he's the Queen's favorite and doesn't have a wife and happiness that Charles has? Just sayin'. . .
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Maybe because he's the Queen's favorite and doesn't have a wife and happiness that Charles has? Just sayin'. . .
Somehow i don't know why but i don't see Andrew as being the apple of his mothers eye. There's something about him. I always think Edward as being the favourite.
Andrew needs to realise on his own that his image is not a very good one at the moment. He needs to clean up his image a little bit.

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew