The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am sorry to post this here as I already posted it on another Andrew thread but it is interesting.

The fall of the house of York: Why has the mansion sold by Duke in mystery £15m deal gone to ruin? | Mail Online

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Andrew did not actually come out smelling of roses in the Despatches programme on C4 last night. Did many people watch it?
Can you elaborate, Muriel? What was this show?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Majesty

I find it interesting that the Daily Mail is at pains to throw suspicions on Andrew but not on the buyer of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I am sorry to post this here as I already posted it on another Andrew thread but it is interesting.

The fall of the house of York: Why has the mansion sold by Duke in mystery £15m deal gone to ruin? | Mail Online
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Can you elaborate, Muriel? What was this show?
It was part of the Despatches series on Channel 4 - available on Channel4.com if you want to see it. The show was, IMO, quite a biased and negative view of William, Harry, Andrew & Edwardn and some of their activities. Re Andrew, it focussed on the sale Sunninghill for above list price, and then the new owners leavcing it to ruin. Also talked about "Air Miles Andy", his effectiveness in his role as Trade Rep, and his use of a helicopter for an engagement 69 miles from his home at a cost of £6,000.I do think the porogramme was quite baised, but something of the questions raised about Andrew's dealigs wit some Kazhakh associates were valid ones.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have it on DVD, so hope to get a chance to see it later or tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

To start the programme exposed the sale of Green Belt land by the Crown Estates, (according to Iain Davidson of the Public Accounts Committee, at a loss to the taxpayer for whom the CE work) for the house to be built on, at well below the going price to an unknown, almost untraceable company, who sold it on to another unknown company based British Virgin Islands. They then sold the lease to Andrew for a very small sum. Apparently, the government are going to examine the civil list closer based on the points raised.

The travel costs for Andrew last year were estimated at 1 million GBP, with a change in the arrangement whereby only trips over £10,000 have to be declared, up from £2000. Again the Public Accounts Committee have 'cause for concern' over this alteration.

The suggestion was I believe that Andrew sold his house for 5 million over the asking price to someone he deals with in his capacity as T&I Rep, thereby making it a conflict of interest (undeclared) and private gain from his 'job'.

It appears Edward's company is still trading, again as a company registered in the BVI.
Not good at all!

The downloads will not be available until they have stopped showing it, I believe. Although the programme was unable to ascertain the exact cost of the Royal Protection Unit, (this does not include local police or members of the SAS who are also deplyed), it was estimated by the ex head at 20-40 million GBP!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Pic 6.3.2009

Prince Andrew ceremonially opens the British embassy in the
Montenegrin capital of Podgorica on March 6, 2009, calling
for more cooperation between countries.
"In the 21st century, the globe is becoming a much smaller
place and a need to collaborate and communicate and work
together among governments is even more important today
than it had been in the past," the Duke of York told reporters.

----> Pic
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Visit-Montenegro.com: Prince Andrew visiting Munks’company :: Visit-Montenegro News
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Pics 10.3.2009

The Duke of York visiting the eco friendly Tesco store in Cheetham
Hill Manchester, UK, March 10, 2009. He is being photographed by
10 year old Stacey Field of Crumpsall Manchester .

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

This week he has been in Manchester and in Essex, carrying out the kind of sober duties which are the lifeblood of the Royal Family.
A handshake here, a wave there, and people departing to their homes and offices happy they've been up close with the Queen's second son.

GEOFFREY LEVY: Why has Prince Andrew been cosying up to dubious oligarchs? | Mail Online
Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
This week he has been in Manchester and in Essex, carrying out the kind of sober duties which are the lifeblood of the Royal Family.
A handshake here, a wave there, and people departing to their homes and offices happy they've been up close with the Queen's second son.

GEOFFREY LEVY: Why has Prince Andrew been cosying up to dubious oligarchs? | Mail Online
Interesting article. I have the sneaking suspicion that PA is hanging around with the wrong crowd. . . .
Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Nobility

Really, whatever gave you that idea.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Interesting article. I have the sneaking suspicion that PA is hanging around with the wrong crowd. . . .
I am told the Essex crowd are bad.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The Duke of York visiting the eco friendly Tesco store in Cheetham
Hill Manchester, UK, March 10, 2009. He is being photographed by
10 year old Stacey Field of Crumpsall Manchester .

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
I love the second pictures because he is not flinching or trying to hide.
x
Old 03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

Fergie contemplates reunion with Andrew as Harry 'sees' Chelsy again
Fergie contemplates reunion with Andrew as Harry 'sees' Chelsy again
Old 03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Nobility

Prince Andrew to visit Canada

I see on the royal website that Prince Andrew is visiting Canada at the end of April. Does anyone know what parts?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl View Post
I see on the royal website that Prince Andrew is visiting Canada at the end of April. Does anyone know what parts?
Yes please! I'd also like to know. :)

Unrelated, but I happened to come across a book commemorating Andrew and Sarah's engagement in the public library yesterday: the book had some pictures of Andrew as a young man (in his early twenties) that I'd never seen before. He looks good for his age now, but back then? I have no trouble understanding why Prince Charles called him "the Robert Redford of the family" or why apparently Canadian girls were smitten with him on his first tour to Canada! I forget just how good-looking Andrew was in his youth until I see pictures that remind me.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Majesty

Prince Andrew was in my area in 1985. I lived less than 20 miles from where he was appearing and didn't go to see him for some reason. For the life of me, I can't remember why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Yes please! I'd also like to know. :)

Unrelated, but I happened to come across a book commemorating Andrew and Sarah's engagement in the public library yesterday: the book had some pictures of Andrew as a young man (in his early twenties) that I'd never seen before. He looks good for his age now, but back then? I have no trouble understanding why Prince Charles called him "the Robert Redford of the family" or why apparently Canadian girls were smitten with him on his first tour to Canada! I forget just how good-looking Andrew was in his youth until I see pictures that remind me.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Fewer than one third of the firms which are meant to be helped by a £300million Government trade body fronted by the Duke of York think it is value for money, the public spending watchdog has found.

Duke of York's £300m trade body 'not value for money' say firms - Telegraph
Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Fewer than one third of the firms which are meant to be helped by a £300million Government trade body fronted by the Duke of York think it is value for money, the public spending watchdog has found.

Duke of York's £300m trade body 'not value for money' say firms - Telegraph
Does this mean that Prince Andrew is going to get a pink slip? That the Trade body is going in another direction? They're downsizing? He's going to be put in a career alternative enhancement program? They gave him a constructive dismissal? Or an early retirement opportunity? Maye they declined his contract extension? Or was it just a workforce imbalance correction??

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of york, prince andrew