The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Nobility

Beatrixfan I think we think alike. Prince and Princess Michael (especially her) take a lot of flak but you are spot on, they are as Royal looking as it gets!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Re:

I have a wonderful photograph of Princess Michael at Cardinal Hume's memorial service - she is every inch an Empress let alone a Princess!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Nobility

I think a lot of what is said about her is jealousy from other quarters. People often compare her to the Duchess of Gloucester whom they say does nothing to "rock the boat", as it were, but lets face it, in 33 years this woman has done nothing to reveal a personality of any sort at all. I know there is a certain virtue in keeping yourself to yourself but the Gloucesters appear to be the most bland people on earth. If the Royals depended on them to spark any sort of interest in the institution the Monarchy would have folded years ago.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of what is said about her is jealousy from other quarters. People often compare her to the Duchess of Gloucester whom they say does nothing to "rock the boat", as it were, but lets face it, in 33 years this woman has done nothing to reveal a personality of any sort at all. I know there is a certain virtue in keeping yourself to yourself but the Gloucesters appear to be the most bland people on earth. If the Royals depended on them to spark any sort of interest in the institution the Monarchy would have folded years ago.
I agree completely. They have no real passion or, as you say, personality. Princess Michael isn't afraid to behave like a Princess should - I think the others a jealous because they want to act like her, but they haven't got the backbone with the exception of a few.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Gloucesters have been more low-key than the Kents since the previous generation; George and Marina Kent were a much more glamorous and high-profile couple than Henry and Alice Gloucester, and the same pattern is repeating in the current generation. I think a better comparison might be with the present Duke and Duchess of Kent rather than with the Gloucesters, since the Duchess was always in the news in the 1970s and 1980s and has always been one of the most popular members of the royal family.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:14 PM

Re:

I don't understand the Duke and Duchess of Kent. I mean, what is the point of them? He doesn't seem to do much and she has suddenly developed a wish to be a commoner again.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Nobility

But the present Duchess of Kent opted out years ago. If you look at the facts Princess Michael's children have done very well in school and university and actually inject a bit of much needed glamour to an institution where it's most senior youngster ie Prince William is as dull as dishwater.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe it's that the Duchess of Gloucester knows her place and her place is not at the forefront. It's also not as if her son the Earl of ? married some outstanding beauty either. The whole Gloucester lot is just not that interesting.
For me Princess Michael is humorous to watch. You never know what is going to emanate from her mouth!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Re:

James! Please, can I quote you as a likeminded soul? William is like a cardboard box - it shows plenty of promise when wrapped up but in reality, is nothing but recycled pulp. Give mer Frederik over William any day.

I'm a Monarchist, but the British Royal Family needs some serious advice on their ranking system.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Nobility

BEATRIXFAN I have often felt alone in a world of those in love with blandness but I think we agree that a bit a pizzazz and personality is the order of the day when it comes to Royalty no matter how it deviates from common opinion.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Administrator

While I enjoy I also enjoy the antics of Princess Michael as anyone else..and would agree that she can and does appear regal...its a shame that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester after 30+ years of service to Queen and country are being dismissed cause they are not exciting!

And BeatrixFan...just curious...cause I am fairly new to the board...and we can take this another thread or you can refer me to an thread where this issue was discussed...but what is your deal with William. How are you comparing a man in his 30's to a mid twenties? William has yet to make his mark (as far as I am concerned) on the Royal Family.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Re:

Quote:
And BeatrixFan...just curious...cause I am fairly new to the board...and we can take this another thread or you can refer me to an thread where this issue was discussed...but what is your deal with William. How are you comparing a man in his 30's to a mid twenties? William has yet to make his mark (as far as I am concerned) on the Royal Family.
I'll start another topic.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Courtier

I found this pic in Hello in a section about Halloween costumes. I don't know if was already posted, if was sorry, but i think itīs a nice pic :)

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent don their finest Georgian fancy dress for a 1985 ball

Old 10-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Nobility

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-1552...-b6cd01b6b591}Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attend the National Service of Remembrance and Commemoration for the end of the Second World War at Westminster Abbey, July 7, 2005.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Nobility

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-1592...-0d5d53e2e699}The Prince and Princess leaving St Paul's Cathedral after attending a service marking the 200th Anniversary of Nelson's victory at Trafalgar, October 23, 2005.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

She's always very stylish.
I think she very aware of her position.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicamaluca
I found this pic in Hello in a section about Halloween costumes. I don't know if was already posted, if was sorry, but i think itīs a nice pic. Prince and Princess Michael of Kent don their finest Georgian fancy dress for a 1985 ball
Very similar to the fancy dress Gabriella wore to her 21st birthday party..
Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Nobility

It's such a shame Princess Michael won't be queen of something. She'd be such a good queen of something. Why doesn't the Queen give her Jersey or Guernsey or something. Queen Marie-Christine of Jersey has an interesting ring to it, don't you think?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Considering the association of Jersey with cows, that might not be the best place to give her.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Nobility

On the contrary, some of her critics might find it entirely appropriate.

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent