The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Is she or isn't she? British princess linked to Russian 'toyboy'

LONDON (AFP) - A whiff of scandal returned to the British monarchy with claims that the 61-year-old wife of a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II is having a fling with a 40-year-old Russian furniture tycoon.
In a front-page splash, The News of the World newspaper said Princess Michael, who has been married to Prince Michael of Kent since 1978, had a romantic break with long-haired Mikhail Kravchenko in Venice, Italy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060422...y_060422230439

Princess Pushy and her secret nights with a playboy

Princess Michael of Kent was at the centre of fresh controversy last night after she was photographed with a millionaire Russian playboy after spending four nights in the same luxury Venice hotel.
The 61-year-old Princess booked into the 2,200-a-night five-star Cipriani Hotel with furniture tycoon Mikhail Kravchenko, 40.
According to reports, the Princess stayed in a lavish apartment and also booked a second bedroom next door.
Her spokesman Simon Astaire said last night: "I have spoken to the Princess and she assures me that this gentleman is a friend. Her husband is already aware of this friendship."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...urce=&ito=1490

Old 04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Royal Highness

This is the News of the World piece with photos:

Gondola.. Fondler
PRINCESS Michael of Kent has sensationally plunged the royal family into a new scandal after spending four secret nights at a romantic Venice hotel with a handsome Russian millionaire.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml

Old 04-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Gentry

Omg, here we go again, I would not be surprise if she ends up getting a divorce, but I hope not. I do think she is one of the most interesting member of the royal family.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Courtier

They've both strayed, repeatedly, for over two decades. They both always come back home, so I doubt this is any different. Princess Michael has been photographed with her lovers before (I remember one from the mid-1980s who was apparently a Texan -- supposedly John Kluge) and Prince Michael has had that "thing" with a ballerina. I don't see either one of them divorcing over this. For one thing, he can't afford a settlement, and she loves the title.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Michael and a ballerina? How very Russian of him...
Old 04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
They've both strayed, repeatedly, for over two decades. They both always come back home, so I doubt this is any different. Princess Michael has been photographed with her lovers before (I remember one from the mid-1980s who was apparently a Texan -- supposedly John Kluge) and Prince Michael has had that "thing" with a ballerina. I don't see either one of them divorcing over this. For one thing, he can't afford a settlement, and she loves the title.
I'm astonished! They have a sham marriage, they cheat on each other and everybody knows about it? Astonishing! I'm truly the last person to know.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, there's a certain amount of extrapolation going on in those articles. I mean, it isn't necessarily the case that two people spend the night together because they happen to be staying in the same hotel. However, since I assume the papers don't want to get stuck with libel lawsuits, I assume the articles aren't just made up out of thin air.

The Queen must be thrilled by this sort of publicity showing up right on top of the birthday celebrations.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 PM

I have to say I think these rumours and stories are rubbish. Princess Michael is a devout Roman Catholic woman who truly believes in family and marriage. This chap she's photographed with could be a friend or a cousin. It seems the trend now for friends to link arms, hold hands etc. The ones of them kissing are cheek kisses which Princess Michael seems to do to everyone she meets in her social bracket. Holding hands is unorthodox to some, but I know friends who hold hands like that.

He could be gay and she could revel in that as so many married women do. I can just imagine Marie Christine getting her own back on the press but flirting openly with him and it turns out he isn't the marrying kind. I don't think there's any substance in this at all.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Courtier

Princess Michael is not nearly as devout as you assume. This woman has been divorced, her first marriage was to an Anglican in a civil ceremony. I don't see how you can see a woman who marries outside her faith in a ceremony her faith won't acknowledge as devout.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
I'm astonished! They have a sham marriage, they cheat on each other and everybody knows about it? Astonishing! I'm truly the last person to know.
They love each other very much. Family friends have raised questions as to whether they're still "in love" (which is very different from simply loving another person), but they are still very affectionate.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Serene Highness

she really doesnt care does she!!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, the story can be bogus, but walking hand in hand....thats usually something you do with your lover/spouse or with your children when they are little... Anyway, if the Prince and Princess both live happily with this (supposed) arrangement, why should we care? It is their life after all.

And Elspeth, the russianess of having a ballerina mistress stuck me as well, the prince doesn't resemble the last emperor for nothing then. Now if only the ballerina's name would be Mathilda...

On a different note, I think Pss Michael, despite her elegance has passed the age where she can wear her long hair down.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Royal Highness

Gosh at her age! the woman must be close to 60? would she retain the Princess title Without the HRH like other pricesses? (Diana, Fergie, and Alexandra of Denmark) Maybe this is the reason they are selling the mansion...
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 AM

I think it's really stupid that she's going around parading the streets of Venice with this guy. She should know from past experience that the paparazzi are out to get her so she should be smarter with her exploits. Even if this guy is just a friend/business partner, if she wants to avoid such a scanadal, she should not display her affection for him so publicly. It's a bit odd though. I mean, I would never be so affectionate with a guy who was just my friend, and I'm not even married.

I have to say though, she's absolutely stunning looking (especially for her age). Well done on her for "catching" such a young handsome guy for herself.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 AM

I think that the press have hounded for years. Leave the poor woman alone!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Aristocracy

I think she needs to get a hair cut. She's too old to have hair that long.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Courtier

She wouldn't remain HRH after a divorce. Some have speculated her title would become the awkward Marie-Christine, Princess Michael of Kent should they split.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Courtier

Maybe she's really in love, cause she looks prettier
Old 04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee
I think she needs to get a hair cut. She's too old to have hair that long.
I think that's not her major problem at the moment
Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Aristocracy

i hope it's not true

i hope this story is not true. prince michael seems like a nice man.:(

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent