Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 4: September 2006-September 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression is that medias use to pursue her...but why??

It is a million dollar question ... Some say that her haughty attitude and actions contribted to negative reports about her; others implied that the attitude of royals,especially that of Her Majesty, set a tone of reporting about Princess Michael. In the end of the day, it is impossible to tell why. :flowers:

I read in an article, some times ago, that also in the Royal Family she is not totally welcome...I remember to have read that Viscount Linley said that his gift for his worst enemy would be dining with Princess Michael, or something similar.
My first impressions about her are that she is not so disagreeable...

I think that there's an unstated suggestion that because Princess Michael's father was a Nazi, his daughter is going to try to force her daughter into a church wedding even though she's Jewish. It's trying to make a subtle argument that Pss Michael might herself have Nazi--or at least anti-Semetic--leanings. It's actually a pretty nasty smear.

A key point for the brief comment is that the daughter of the Nazi party member is going to have a Jewish daughter-in-law. It does not sound sensational anymore. Princess Michael just shows respect for the woman her only son has chosen to marry.

Last edited:
A similar point of contention was brought up when the King of Sweden married Silvia Sommerlath (although I don't think her father was even a party member). It's something that a lot of people (especially the British royal family--of German origin) always seems to have been uncomfortable with. Frankly, I don't blame them, because having a Nazi father does lead people to wonder what kind of values one was raised with. However, the Princess Michael has not done anything to make anyone ever believe she harbours anti-semitic sentiments and I think any speculations of that at this time are wildly unfounded.

Maybe it was because she was an "outsider", from Australia with a Central European background - no English blood there, or because she stood by her religious beliefs and didn't renounce her Catholicism which meant Prince Michael lost his place in the Succession. Maybe because she had some spark and wit that some found threatening; maybe because she is a bit different; or maybe because the British press has to have a whipping boy, or girl.

On the other hand, there were undoubted potential scandals with her "liaisons", for want of a better word, although nothing was ever established. She appears to enjoy her royal status (and by and large acts appropriately), but then there's no need for her to apologise for it. Like Sarah, Duchess of York, she has been pilloried for trying to earn an income. And then criticised for not paying her way.

Yet she appears to have sailed through it all. Still married to the same man after 31 years (longer than the marriages of any of the Queen's children, or the Queen's sister for that matter), no great dramas with the children as both appear to have been be brought up very well. Still included in the Royal Family guest list for State dinners and State occasions despite her alleged disfavour from above. But there will always be a jeer squad, and the latest "her father was a Nazi" taunt has been wheeled out for whatever reason, if only as a crude attempt to smear. No doubt we will hear stories of the "pushy mother-in-law" as her son's wedding approaches, and no doubt when the marriage does take place it will be a very happy family occasion.

Right. It was a cheap shot that the paper made.

However, the Princess Michael has not done anything to make anyone ever believe she harbours anti-semitic sentiments and I think any speculations of that at this time are wildly unfounded.

Maybe it was because she was an "outsider", from Australia with a Central European background - no English blood there, or because she stood by her religious beliefs and didn't renounce her Catholicism which meant Prince Michael lost his place in the Succession. Maybe because she had some spark and wit that some found threatening; maybe because she is a bit different; or maybe because the British press has to have a whipping boy, or girl.

On the other hand, there were undoubted potential scandals with her "liaisons", for want of a better word, although nothing was ever established. She appears to enjoy her royal status (and by and large acts appropriately), but then there's no need for her to apologise for it. Like Sarah, Duchess of York, she has been pilloried for trying to earn an income. And then criticised for not paying her way.

Yet she appears to have sailed through it all. Still married to the same man after 31 years (longer than the marriages of any of the Queen's children, or the Queen's sister for that matter), no great dramas with the children as both appear to have been be brought up very well. Still included in the Royal Family guest list for State dinners and State occasions despite her alleged disfavour from above. But there will always be a jeer squad, and the latest "her father was a Nazi" taunt has been wheeled out for whatever reason, if only as a crude attempt to smear. No doubt we will hear stories of the "pushy mother-in-law" as her son's wedding approaches, and no doubt when the marriage does take place it will be a very happy family occasion.
She has to be a strong woman: other women in her shoes would have run away or burst many years ago...

Hi,

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want to dine with Viscount Linley. From what I've heard (from some people in the know) he's a right little "prig"...

I would, however, love to dine with Princess Michael. She's knowledgeable about history and I hear quite entertaining & humourous...

Larry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ord-Freddie-Windsor-and-Sophie-Winkleman.html

Sophie's mother isn't Jewish. Only if someone's mother is a Jew can they be considrered to be Jewish so technically Sophie isn't. Her father Barry is a non-practising Jew. Also the picture in this article looks like it has been deliberatley cut just above Sophie's bust to make her appear topless even though it's just a sleeveless dress she's wearing. The poor girl must be taken aback with how mean the press have been. They seem to hate Princess M so much that they'll even attack and smear an innocent girl in the run up to her wedding for no other reason than that they don't like her future mother-in-law. How rotten can you get?

Also the picture in this article looks like it has been deliberatley cut just above Sophie's bust to make her appear topless even though it's just a sleeveless dress she's wearing. The poor girl must be taken aback with how mean the press have been.
The picture, IMO, was used to emphasize the point that Ms Winkleman has appeared topless in a play.

I have heard Princess Michael described as 'full of her own importance' and that doesn't go down too well with the British, IMO.

Thanks for the video! :flowers: State banquets involve a lot of tedious work by various staff members. Prince Michael spoke really good Russian. As presented by Her Majesty, Marie Christine looked great as usual.

:previous: I thought President Walesa was Polish. It just goes to show that we all see different things, to me the girly wriggling was inappropriate.

He was. I don't think that it would be unusual for a Polish person to be able to at least understand some Russian, especially during the days of the Soviet Union.:)

:previous: I thought President Walesa was Polish. It just goes to show that we all see different things, to me the girly wriggling was inappropriate.

Different people pay attention to different things. You and others will examine Princess Michael's deportment more critically, I would say. I do the same in regard to Prince Charles and his current wife. Such situation comes as no surprise, I believe.
@09:50 Prince Michael of Kent told Polish President (1) "my wife" (when Her Majesty introduced Princess Michael) and (2) "my wife does not speak Russian
unfortunately" in Russian. Given the interaction between Pirnce Michael and President Walesa, it appears that they already met and conversed in Russian.

Speaking of Pcss Michael, i remember a particular sequence of the 1992 documentary "Elizabeth R".
During the 1991 polish state visit, the Queen presented various members of the BRF to the President Walesa.
(go to 08:45)
Did you notice during the video,the household staff was using dish towels for polishing, etc. One of the dish towels had a "GR" monogram (for King George) and another had an "M" monogram (for Queen Mary?)
No waste in that frugal household!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked at Marie Christine with a critical. However, I was thrown by the catty remarks made by members over the photos taken at the charity event.
The photos are lovely. MC looks relaxed and more natural than I have ever seen her.
She is not "posing" like a movie star. The attendees were probably thrilled to have their pictures taken with her. Many times, copies of these types of photos are given to the attendees as souvenirs of the event.
Who wouldn't want a photo of themselves taken with royalty?
The BRF can use a little bit of glamour and MC provides it.

You know, even though I made a sarcastic comment about her loving the limelight, I agree with every word written here by Warren, yet I still can't bear the way she seems to and always has loved the limelight, I suppose one can have ambivalent feelings about somethings in life. The problem here is that in this particular thread, you get "whipped" if you day things others don't like, and that isn't the point of the RF's is it? Or do we all have to adopt a dreamy fairytale like vision on all our royals?!

I agree with you, but she was ravishing there wasn't she? I always thought this story had to do with the Russian state visit with pres Putin.

Did the Kents attend any events with the Obamas when they were in town for the G20 summit? Any photos?

It is impossible to say whether or not Prince and Princess Michael attended any event with President Obama and Mrs. Obama. I dare to presume that they were not asked to do so because the US President's visit was of an informal nature. The last official event they attended was the banquet during the state visit by President of Mexico in March, 2009.

Well, Marie Christine has something else to worry about today - the gossip sheets (the U.K. Daily Mail) has a story and photos about Gabriella leaving the Connaught Hotel in London with Guy Ritchie (Madonna'a ex) -
Gabriella does not look her usual fashionable self -

Prince and Princess Michael assisted the Queen at Buckingham Palace for a reception to mark the 60th anniversary of the Commonwealth London Declaration, April 28, 2009.
see this post for some pics.

Hi,

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want to dine with Viscount Linley. From what I've heard (from some people in the know) he's a right little "prig"...

I would, however, love to dine with Princess Michael. She's knowledgeable about history and I hear quite entertaining & humourous...

Larry

Allegedly it was Viscount Linley who dubbed her Princess Pushy. Given that Linley isn't a very popular person at the RF, I wonder why we give such credence to his evaluation of her.

Who will pay Lord Frederik's wedding ?

I think the plan was for the bride's family to foot the bill, so they were trying to do it economically (I've read it somewhere previously). Which makes Freddy's rejection of Hello's offer pretty remarkable.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2hg4kkl.jpg (origially posted by iceflower)
It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael attending an official engagement alongside Her Majesty. Princess Michael looked a bit drawn and slim though ... or perhaps it is a case of bad photography...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom