The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to one book or article about here, there's a touch of Australian when she's in private but it's well hidden in public. I don't suppose an Australian accent would suit the image of a European aristocrat.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:49 AM

It sounds german to me - there's a german 'ts sort of sound at the end of words and her English sounds lively and energetic rather than the boring monotone we Brits tend to speak with.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Courtier

I absolutely adore Princess Michael of Kent. She is such a gem through 'n' through I say!

"MII"
Old 11-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
According to one book or article about here, there's a touch of Australian when she's in private but it's well hidden in public. I don't suppose an Australian accent would suit the image of a European aristocrat.
Quite true Elspeth!:p Thanks for the giggle.:)
Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Quite true Elspeth!:p Thanks for the giggle.:)

indeed, that's why Mary lost hers.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
indeed, that's why Mary lost hers.
HRH Crown Princess Mary is not the pretentiously fake Princess Michael though. Mary has never declared having a grand European lineage and boasts about it all the time. Princess Michael lets no one forget.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
HRH Crown Princess Mary is not the pretentiously fake Princess Michael though. Mary has never declared having a grand European lineage and boasts about it all the time. Princess Michael lets no one forget.
Woah! Calling Princess Michael a pretentious fake is pretty nasty considering you've never met her. I actually have and found her to be charming and totally wonderful. She didn't go on at me about her lineage, so she let me forget! In her 'This Morning' interview, Philip Scofield said, "You are the most controversial member of the Royal Family" and she said, "No I'm not - I'm the most conventional. You don't believe everything you read in the newspapers do you?". Princess Michael does have a grand European lineage and if she chooses to discuss it, then thats her affair and its interesting.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Has Mary started to disguise her accent? If she has then that is TOTALLY pretentious. Whats wrong with being Australian anyway?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness

Could we please keep the thread on Prince and Princess Michael of Kent?

As a sidenote: When people move to different countries to permanently live and learn a new language and accent, there is a natural progession that their former accent will be altered or lost.

It has NOTHING to do with being pretentious.....for all the types of people on here from so many countries, I cannot believe that was even typed on here....
Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Could we please keep the thread on Prince and Princess Michael of Kent?

As a sidenote: When people move to different countries to permanently live and learn a new language and accent, there is a natural progession that their former accent will be altered or lost.

It has NOTHING to do with being pretentious.....for all the types of people on here from so many countries, I cannot believe that was even typed on here....
Sorry Lady Marmalade, I should have chosen my words better. I do feel that Princess Michael is quite "snobbish" for lack of a better term.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

People can adjust their accents and dialects for "pretentious" reasons. Perhaps it's more common in the UK, where accent and class are more closely aligned than in the USA, but it does happen.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeap
That's bloody ridiculous. If they have that sort of money, then they need to pay their own rent instead of having The Queen do it. I hate people who sponge off The Queen like that.
The Kents have never been rich and the Queen has always taken care of her cousins financially. It's not ridiculous for a grandson of George V to have an appropriate home in London at Kensington Palace, as promised by the Queen when he married. He is a Royal Highness and Prince of the UK entitled to some dignity.

The Queen can afford to pay the market rent for Prince and Princess Michael and if they have a few bucks to help their children, what's the big problem?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attend the lunch at Chaumet, Place Vendome, in aid of Madame Giscard d'Estaing's Children Fondation, on November 28, 2005 in Paris, France

from getty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56283472.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	217419   Click image for larger version

Name:	56283482.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	217420   Click image for larger version

Name:	56283437.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	217421  
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent arrive at the Palace of Versailles, in Versailles, west of Paris, to attend a solo benefit concert by British pop star Elton John, on the International evening of the Child, Monday Nov. 28, 2005

From polfoto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP483433_guest.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	217480   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP483434_guest.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	217481  
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Marie-Christine looks as if she should be reigning from Versailles - not visiting it!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Nobility

Yes, I agree. IMO there are some people who just exude a kind of old worldly, if you like, "Royal", charm and presence. The Queen Mother is one example and I think that the Michaels of Kent have that quality too. There's nothing overt about it but with the slightest tilt of the head the Princess (and her husband) seem to create an aura about them that isn't remotley forced.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Has Mary started to disguise her accent? If she has then that is TOTALLY pretentious. Whats wrong with being Australian anyway?
well, I saw a video of her made at her work from before she met Fred and she had a definite Australian accent. her siblings also speak with very 'broad' accents.at her engagement and afterwards her accent sounded more Biritish (well, to me-an american-at any rate).

that may well have to do with her spending lots of time with Fred and other people who dont speak with Australian accents.

it's undeniable however that her accent-like her appearance-underwent a dramatic change after she met fred.

back to princess Michael, i doubt she has an australian accent in private. the pervasiveness of english-speaking media everywhere would have rubbed it out by now.

Mette-Marit and Charles both spent time studying in Australia and neither of them retain verbal marks of their time downunder.

does anyone else think it was rude of Scofield to preface a question with "you are the most controversial member of the royal family." what on earth was she supposed to say to that?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
well, I saw a video of her made at her work from before she met Fred and she had a definite Australian accent. her siblings also speak with very 'broad' accents.at her engagement and afterwards her accent sounded more Biritish (well, to me-an american-at any rate).?
I lost my American Southern accent after being in Germany for a year. I'm still proud of being Southern and have to keep reminding people. :)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
"you are the most controversial member of the royal family." what on earth was she supposed to say to that?
I thought it was terribly rude and Marie-Christine was obviously annoyed. But she answered it very well I thought. Schofield asked her some very very impertinent questions - they asked to clarify what she meant by 'Diana was a womb'. She should have walked off but then she'd be accused of being pushy.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Does anyone else think it was rude of Scofield to preface a question with "you are the most controversial member of the royal family." what on earth was she supposed to say to that?
"Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Closed Thread

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent