The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Thank you Queen Elizabeth.
That's a very funny picture. All men are walking next to their wives but Andrew, the notorious womanizer, find himself with the priest...
Also, do you notice how the duke of Kent is turned slightly away from his wife, (who is apparantly seperated from him....)

Old 07-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Also, do you notice how the duke of Kent is turned slightly away from his wife, (who is apparantly seperated from him....)
Sorry I just saw the post that it was Palexandra with the duke...

BTW, what is said of Prince and Princess Michael's marriage? is it a happy one?
The rumoured affairs she had, when were they?

Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
BTW, what is said of Prince and Princess Michael's marriage? is it a happy one?
The rumoured affairs she had, when were they?
The marriage of the Princes of Kent was one of love. As a lot of marriages, they got though a really rough time, which was not helped by the fact MC wasn't accepted by the royal family nor the British press. It is rumored MC had a string of affairs with American citizen years ago.
As far as I know, they got over their troubles and are now very happy and very together. They have been married for 27 years, now! I clearly don't see them divorcing or even separating.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Actually, I think that's his sister, Princess Alexandra, walking with him.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Nobility

It definatley was Princess Alexandra. I saw it on T.V. and the Duchess of Kent didn't attend.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Nobility

That's too bad. I have always had a soft spot for the Duchess of Kent. She seems very human, very normal, very caring. I do not think you would see Princess Michael, after all, teaching music to elementary school kids (I heard the Duchess of Kent was doing that in a newspaper a couple of years ago).
Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
That's too bad. I have always had a soft spot for the Duchess of Kent. She seems very human, very normal, very caring. I do not think you would see Princess Michael, after all, teaching music to elementary school kids (I heard the Duchess of Kent was doing that in a newspaper a couple of years ago).
You got that right Grecka!! The Duchess of Kent is a woman I truly admire.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Why are the lesser royals in front of the Queen's kids? I love to see ceremonies like this though!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Another mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Why are the lesser royals in front of the Queen's kids?
The photo http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...46671#poststop shows a reverse Order of Precedence! Perhaps they were lined up outside the Abbey with Andrew at the front and Prince & Princess Michael taking up the rear, when they had to do an about face but didn't have time to re-order themselves? Seriously though the only explanation I can come up with is that the highest in Precedence enters last (but before The Queen); which seems at odds with the whole concept of Precedence. Another mystery!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Royal Highness

OK, do you think it has something to do with the whole Princess over Countess, Duchess thing? ALso maybe the seats were arranged to where it would have been better for the lesser royals to go first, but that is a tacky explanation. But actually what I was thinking when I first saw the photo was maybe it was in order of rank in the army since the service had to do with that? I think that woudl make more sense.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

For the Queen Mother's funeral the junior royals entered the abbey in reverse order, with the Michaels and Princess Alexandra at the front, followed by the Duke of Kent's children, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, the Gloucester children and the Duke and Duchess behind them. I think it has to do with the fact that the Queen shows up last, so the precendence is sort of from most junior to most senior.I don't remember what the Queen Mother's immediate family did, although most of the men (and Princess Anne) were marching behind the coffin so would have arrived at the abbey after everyone else was seated.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 AM

Don't mention Precedence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
For the Queen Mother's funeral the junior royals entered the abbey in reverse order. I think it has to do with the fact that the Queen shows up last, so the precendence is sort of from most junior to most senior.
Whereas from what we have seen of the grand full dress tiara functions at Buckingham Palace The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh enter first (after those mirrored doors are opened), followed by the rest of the Royal Family, highest to lowest.

Have we stumbled upon yet another Order of Precedence? If so, best not to mention it to Frothy and branchg!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

It looks as though these depend entirely on what the Queen's doing. If the tradition is that she arrives last, then any procession of royals would have to start low and build up to her. At Buckingham Palace, when she's already at home and is dealing with foreign heads of state and so on, she'd lead the proceedings. I'm sure in this case you'd just see the same order but reversed. In both cases it'd be the order of prcedence used in public.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Whereas from what we have seen of the grand full dress tiara functions at Buckingham Palace The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh enter first (after those mirrored doors are opened), followed by the rest of the Royal Family, highest to lowest.

Have we stumbled upon yet another Order of Precedence? If so, best not to mention it to Frothy and branchg!
You are too funny Warren!!:p Let's not start it up again please!!!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
It may well be; the Duchess doesn't attend many official functions any more, and Princess Alexandra still seems to do so.

I wonder why the Duke isn't wearing his Garter sash.
I wonder.... Edward George, the eldest son of George and Marina ,is the Duke of Kent, while Michael, who was born 7 years after Edward, in 1942, is Prince Michael, their own sis is Duchess Alexandra of Kent, them, the 3s of them, are all called of Kent, it mde me confused ......
Old 07-31-2005, 02:32 AM

The Kents

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
I wonder.... Edward George, the eldest son of George and Marina ,is the Duke of Kent, while Michael, who was born 7 years after Edward, in 1942, is Prince Michael, their own sis is Duchess Alexandra of Kent, them, the 3s of them, are all called of Kent, it mde me confused ......
The Duke and Duchess of Kent (George and Marina) had three children:
- Prince Edward (1935-) who succeeded his father as Duke of Kent in 1942. He is married to Katherine Worsley who is the Duchess of Kent;
- Princess Alexandra (1936-) who's title is HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy;
- Prince Michael (1942-) who as the younger son of a Royal Duke has no other title than HRH Prince Michael of Kent.

Three children, one a Royal Duke, the others a Prince and Princess, all "of Kent".
Old 08-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attended the baptism of Maria Chiaria, second daughter of Charles and Camilla of Bourbon-2 Sicilies, Duke and Duchess of Calabria, in Porto Cervo, Sardinia,3rd August:
Pics from Newscom:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos248104.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	176675   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos248108.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	176676   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos248109.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	176677   Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos248120.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	176679  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sipaphotos248076.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	176685  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know why she converted to catholicism?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
Does anyone know why she converted to catholicism?
Are you asking about the Duchess of Kent?? She converted in the 1990's, my guess being it was what she believed to be the true faith. Princess Michael of Kent has always been Catholic.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Thanks. You are right I was mixing up the two. I didn't know that the Princess was always catholic.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent