Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 5: September 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They look wonderful!
Would someone be kind enough to translate the Prince's speech?

What I could understand (there was a very noisy child!) is that the prince thanks the people for the hospitality and says that in that village and house they found the best spirit of Sardinia.

I wonder how much Italian he speaks? To me, he sounds very much like an Englishman speaking Italian.;) But I agree that it's a great tribute to at least try to speak the language of the country one is visiting, and he seems to have done that well.

Thanks for the video update!
It was nice of Prince Michael to speak Italian.

Last edited:
You are right noting that Prince Michael's command in Italian is not very good, we still have to appreciate the effort.

Lady Gabriella Windsor :flowers:

BUNTE Online - 3 days ago

Bisher der einzige Gast aus dem britischen Königshaus: Lady Gabriella „Ella“ Windsor. Ob Prinz William und seine Kate auch noch eintreffen, um sich für ihre eigene Hochzeit inspirieren zu lassen?

11 von 11

Nikolaos von Griechenland: Die Hochzeitsgäste sind da - Bilder - BUNTE

PRINCESS MICHAEL SAVES THE PENNIES ON A £30 EASYJET FLIGHT

Friday August 27,2010

PRINCESS Michael has long endured a reputation for haughtiness and a love of the high life.

But it was more Princess Penny-pincher than Princess Pushy when she and her husband, the Queen’s cousin, travelled to one of the international royal occasions of the year.

The couple took a £29.99 budget EasyJet flight to Athens, it emerged yesterday. :ohmy:

With their daughter, Lady Gabriella Windsor, 29, they joined a glittering array of European royalty, including the Queens of Spain and Denmark, at the wedding of Prince Nikolaos of Greece to fashion events planner Tatiana Blatnik on the Greek isle of Spetses.

They were the only British royals at the wedding on Wednesday after a curious decision by Buckingham Palace to send no official representatives, even though the families have long been close. “They often travel on EasyJet,” their spokesman Simon Astaire said. “I’ve worked for them for many years and I just don’t recognise them from the way that they’re often portrayed.

“They attended the wedding as friends of the family and not representatives of the British Royal Family.” The Michaels, who were still in Greece yesterday after partying into the early hours at the wedding, are understood to have paid a total of £91.97 each for their trip – £29.99 for their outward journey and £61.98 for the return flight.

Playboy Prince Nikolaos, 40, second son of ex-King Constantine of Greece, and Tatiana, 29, were married at a monastery in a Greek Orthodox ceremony attended by senior royals from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Spain. Buckingham Palace refused to say why no other British royals went.

Sources close to the family said it was simply because they could not be bothered to break into their holidays. But an aide to ex-King Constantine, who was deposed in 1973 by a military dictatorship, said: “Officially, I know the British wanted to attend but I think it was because of security issues on the island. It was very difficult to ensure that adequate security would be provided.

“It’s a small island and there are no vehicles allowed. The roads are very narrow. The security people for other royals were worried about it and the British Royal Family is always a step or two up on that matter.”

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Princess Michael saves the pennies on a £30 EasyJet flight

Ok, so...
They often travel by low-cost airlines - so what? If a man can save some money, it's nothing wrong that he does it.

Why they could not represent the Royal Family, as they are its full members? Although they are the less important (for the matters of state), they still are Prince and Princess of the UK! Michael of Kents represented the Queen on several major state events abroad, like coronation of an African king (what is or was his name? I don't want to google it now).

I don't like that the other British royals were not present at the wedding, as they seem to be very close with the Glucksburgs. Only Michael of Kents showed their first class and were there.
Security reasons? It's ridiculous, there were the reigning Queen of Denmark and Queen consort of Spain attending! So, The Prince of Wales or The Princess Royal or the Earl of Wessex need more security than a head of state?

:previous:
I for one think Prince and Princess Michael of Kent do an impeccable job representing the British Royal family. I am surprised to learn that Earl of Wessex requires some serious protection though.

I, too, do not believe it was security concerns that prevented the BRF royal family from attending. I am still not sure why they did not attend, as they are quite close to the Greeks

Well, I disagree. People are not obligated to attend weddings. That goes from people like me to members of Royal families. Security would have been a problem, no way around it. I am sure that they sent a nice gift. Perhaps they were not invited, who knows. When you get right down to it, PN is the son of a deposed king (so not really royalty any more). Had they married in London (where they all live), there would probably have been more BRF representation.

The Kents look wonderful, botox or not!

After years of watching the BRF I must admit that my interest is more or less over. There are practically no tiara events that one gets to see anymore and in other spheres "privacy" seems to have taken over to the point where I would rather spend my time enjoying the European Royal Households who are not so precious in certain ways.

So true :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is important to understand the key reason, IMO, the British RF are quite discrete when it comes to displays of jewellery. IMO, we British like to see a BRF that is hard working and focussed on their work, but do nort like to see ostentatious displays of wealth. In these economic times, a huge ball with all the European royalty and in the tiaras and jewels partying into the night for the Queens 60th wedding anniversary or the PoWs 60th birthday would not have huge public support. This was opreciserly the reason, IMV, that the PoWs 60th birthday celebrations were rather discrete and low-key. Boring as this may seem to royal watchers, I just do not expect to see in Britain the sort of celebrations we saw from Queen Margarete's 70th birthday in Copenhagen recently.

So true - the British simply wouldn't stand for it. There seems to be way more criticism of the BRF in Britain's media than there is of the other royals families within their own media and the BRF is savvy to this - at least at the top.

The younger royals don't seem to care and are often ostentatious with their luxury holidays every chance they get whereas the Queen and these days Charles tend to holiday at home (since divorcing Diana Charles has holidayed way more in Britain than overseas - sure he still has some time away but he seems more and more like his mother - liking the comforts of home for his holidays).

Hi,

Well, I certainly hope that everyone in Britain pulls out all the stops for The Queen during her Diamond Jubilee. Tiaras and gowns and black tie, even white tie, events.
After all, it isn't every monarch who reigns for 60 years and that should signal a "grand occasion"...

I suggest a big concert with Commonwealth performers to end the Jubilee.
Is the London Paladium still in existance - that could be where all the jewels come out!!! Or Albert Hall...

Larry

With the Olympics only a month or so afterwards people will have to choose, in some circumstances, which event is to get the money. Although I am sure the Jubilee will be a big celebration I wonder if it would have been bigger if Paris was to host the games rather than London.

I know that they are going to have a 4 day long weekend and that the celebrations will centre over those four days. I also know, from personal decision making, that many people will have to choose which event to go to London for (my family made a unanimous vote for the Olympics as The Queen simply doesn't rate with my family and friends).

With the time difference between here and London and having to go to work I would suspect that I will see nothing of the Jubilee live and then will have to figure out whether it would be worth taping it or just rely on the snippets on the news. In 2002 I taped it and never watched any of it, except the church service. I did though visit Britain later that year and saw a lot of exhibits dedicated to the year - gardens as well.

Hi Iluvbertie,

I know what you mean about people being up against it over Jubilee or Olympics....

Personally, I don't give a damn about the Olympics; I think they're corrupt and rigged and over-expensive... A person can see all that on TV for nothing....

I am going to London for the first 2 weeks in June and will take in the Trooping, the Garter ceremony and Ascot...
But, if there was a big gala concert (a charity event), I think that would be the icing on the cake.

The Diamond Jubilee could very well be the 'last hurrah' for Her Majesty's reign, as it was for Victoria, so I'd like to see a big fuss made of her!!!
Hopefully though, I hope she gets to celebrate another Jubilee - her 70th - - -
What's that called anyway??

Larry

Lets get back on topic....the Kents.

Their Royal Highnesses attended the wedding of Prince Nikolaos and the then Miss Tatiana Blatnik because they are close friends with King Constantine and his entire family. It's no big deal.

Princess Michael of Kent on the trading floor during the BGC Partner's 6th
Annual Charity Day, at Churchill Place in Canary Wharf, east London,
September 13, 2010.

** Pic ** belga gallery **

Good ol' MC, she can shake the waters in boring London any time. Osipi, I think these two should be friends. I wish they could realise the power of their witticisms and join forces! Then we could have a chuckle or two every now and then.

Princess Michael, along with her husband's nephew Earl of St Andrews and his family, attended Papal mass at the Westminster Cathedral in London, yesterday, and attended also the Papal open-air mass of Beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman in Birmingham, today. She also attended several events connected with the Beatification before.
Check out:
Translation of remains of Cardinal Newman at his Birmingham Oratory / Local News / Media Centre / Catholic Church / Root - The Catholic Church for England and Wales
We can see the Windsors here YouTube - POPE Westminster Cathedral 2010 part 2 , at the 11th minute,
and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOJmJkMvsac from 1:54 until 2:11. The Princess' presence is mentioned by the BBC man.
It must be also at today's highlitghs from Cofton Park, but it's not yet at youtube. Do you have it from any other source?

:previous: Thanks so much for posting the videos, kbk! Because of my work I sadly wasn't able to watch the mass. Via Twitter I've heard that Princess Michael has just met the Pope. It would be lovely if we could see pictures from their meeting.

Here's a picture of the Princess in Birmingham (originally posted by @SpotsvStripes on Twitter): Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/jbszqwj - Uploaded by SpotsvStripes

Good ol' MC, she can shake the waters in boring London any time. Osipi, I think these two should be friends. I wish they could realise the power of their witticisms and join forces! Then we could have a chuckle or two every now and then.

Interesting thought, they would be a good match! :D I've always wondered about their relationship as they're both not that different, IMHO.

Married into the BRF for 32 years and still hasn't learned to think before opening her mouth especially when discussing the BRF. The woman loves publicity of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom