Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 5: September 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the frog brooch. Interesting how different people see the same thing and have very different reactions; I think the toggle closure suits the style of jacket and looks just fine.

I'm wondering why we are seeing so much of Prince and Princess Michael at the moment, but whatever the reason I'm pleased to see them. :flowers:

The thing with her father has been blown out of all proportion. I have read about the facts concerning him in detail and to put it briefly, he joined the party very early on and was given an honorary SS rank due to being an aristocrat but after a few years turned against it and left. His de-nazification papers are on file. There is basically no more to it than that but the way some sections of the media reported it one would have thought he ran a concentration camp or something when in fact he had no connection to any atrocities whatsoever. All this was actually revealed in 1985 after the story broke and the papers, at the time, accepted that it wasn't the story they had originally made it out to be so I can't understand why it still gets referred back to time and time again.

Al_bina said:
People, who met Prince and Princess Michael in person, never fail to mention how much they liked the couple and enjoyed conversing with them
No, not all people who have met or spoken to them! :whistling:

< ed: removed quoted post and dismissive response to it >

so I can't understand why it still gets referred back to time and time again.
Some of us were trying to fathom out why she is so disliked by many in the UK, this was one of the reasons I suggested. Some misread the post and ......

One point to note is that the only way to leave the Nazi party, from my understanding, was to escape the country or feet first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand one thing - why MC hasn't got any order yet?!?!?! I know that she isn't full time royal, but she use to make great charity work, many patronages, some public / official engagements, represents Queen abroad at coronations, funerals etc, take part in state visits... all of it without civil list!!! So why? Only because Queen doesn't like her? It is wird. After 31 years of marriage, 31 years of being royal she deserve for Royal Monogram or even GCVO! I agree that sometimes she seems to be quite controversial but we should remember about her work for 31 years.

Good point Andrew24!

Even as is speculated that the Queen is not very fond of MC, I too think that having done lots for charities over the last three decades MC does deserve some sort of gong! If anything she deserves a gong for enduring so many catty and nasty comments for so long too!!!!

Even though the fount of all honours has held back with the family order, I think MC at least deserves an OBE (DBE if I had my way) at the very least! The RVO is I believe bestowed for personal services to the sovereign and perhaps this is a sticky point in certain people's opinion!:verysad::voodoo::voodoo:

Personally, when I look at someone like Lord Archer of Weston-Super-Mare being allowed to keep his seat in the Lords....MC behaves like a saint in comparison! This leaves one wondering about the whole honours system....IMHumbleO!!!

Just to continue on from Andrew24 -

You either have or you haven't got class - and PM has it, more so than some of the ladies closer to the monarch.

I didn't realise it has been 31 years, why no recognition at all for her? So it's not just the public that are mean to her, some one much higher up as well, she takes it all astoundingly well.

Thanks so much for this, Westminster. I'd been looking for this interview for awhile.

Had she done another interview on the same topic? I seem to remember her facing in the other direction while being interviewed.

I think this interview has been edited quite often, but maybe she indeed gave more than one interview about this topic? I'm not sure. Here's the newscast from 1985. :flowers:

YouTube - pm_mov

Thank you Dierna23.....very interesting and succinct report that I think will clear up various queries we might have had about the Baron's position!

Lovely to see and hear the old News at Ten blurb at the beginning - I came over all nostalgic! And there was Diana in that midnight blue star spangled number.....Goodness this does make me feel old and take me back!!!!

Only because Queen doesn't like her?
Do you have any firm evidence that she is disliked by HM or the Royal family? If she was so despised, do you think HM would continue to endure her presence at many functions? As to giving her a gong, certain criteria has to be met, apart from doing some charity work. Through her marriage she is a Princess, what more would she want?
... very interesting and succinct report that I think will clear up various queries we might have had about the Baron's position ---- I too think that having done lots for charities over the last three decades MC does deserve some sort of gong!
Not really, to clear up any lingering doubts, I would wish to hear evidence from people other than MC, it also appears to be the same video clip posted elsewhere.:whistling: The problem with the pair of them is that they have done more commercial work than representing HM or charities.

< ed: removed quoted post and dismissive response to it >

:previous:Skydragon!

I am prepared to accept that records, - official and private do not always tell the whole truth...but goodness me Skydragon you sound almost as cynical as me when I am on a mission on issues!!!! My word, you do know how to inflame a conversation! Anyway, MC is not directly responsible for what her father did or did not do, so.......shall we move on? :flowers:

Skydragon you are right I don't have any evidence that HM dislike MC but we hear so many gossips and few times Quenn says things which can suggest such situation for example "she is too great for us". Due to her royal work there is a list (quite long) of her royal patronages at MC oficial website. At official website of Royal Household there also are informations that Prince & Princess Michael represents Queen, do charity work and some public apperances without civil list. They must earn for themselves so it is natural that they do a lot of commrercial work. Even if there was just few charites and official engagements per year after 31 years SHE DESERVE for some acknowledgement!!!

Good point Andrew24!

Even as is speculated that the Queen is not very fond of MC, !

I never said that I believed the above quote of a quote of a resource and I thought by my use of the English language that I made that quite clear! I always try to be careful in my writing and apologize if others misunderstand my position!

With regards to inflaming the hot topic of MC I profess that I am simply rather frayed by listening to the endless and inane catty remarks directed toward her when there are far more pressing and pertinent issues in the world worthy of such attention and time!

With regards to my own personal views of MC as comparable to those in the UK....well.... I leave others to choose and would never dream of being Draconian enough to presume!

Skydragon you are right I don't have any evidence that HM dislike MC but we hear so many gossips and few times Quenn says things which can suggest such situation for example "she is too great for us". Due to her royal work there is a list (quite long) of her royal patronages at MC oficial website. At official website of Royal Household there also are informations that Prince & Princess Michael represents Queen, do charity work and some public apperances without civil list. They must earn for themselves so it is natural that they do a lot of commrercial work. Even if there was just few charites and official engagements per year after 31 years SHE DESERVE for some acknowledgement!!!
This, IMO, is the problem, :flowers: Gossip. HM has never made a statement about MC or Michael from HM, there are the usual reports from an unnamed source etc, but never from HM. The closest any member of the Royal family got to criticizing her, was young Linley who when asked what present he would give to his worst enemy, he replied a dinner with Princess Michael. That could quite simply have been a joke, as I have said there are many, IMO, in the UK who do not like her. I would imaging they are like many ordinary families, close but not too close to an Uncle and his wife.

being a patron sometimes means no more than your name appearing on the letterheads and should never be taken as an indication of any work done for the charity.:flowers:

Can I say this again, I have absolutely no problem with the commercial work either of them do, none, zero, We all know most of his consultative work is Russia orientated and that they are rumoured to prefer European culture rather than British.

There are many people, unsung heroes who deserve recognition for their work, but being married to a Prince for 31 years is not one of them!:flowers:

They are alleged to be resentful that they are not considered royals, but they do very little work for the firm and the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Wreckage cleared and thread now reopened.

° ° °

Prince Michael of Kent attends a meeting with head of Russia's
Federation Council (upper parliament) Sergei Mironov in Moscow
on November 18, 2009. Prince Michael is in Moscow on a brief visit.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

:previous:

Oh, that's a look in Pic 3! :D Prince Michael seems quite busy these days.

Prince Michael visited Russia once again. He can carry his initiatives there without snide comments. He could have been a great choice for a British ambassador to the Russian Federation.

:previous:

This may be interesting. I just found a video with a few impressions from Prince and Princess Michael's visit to Kazakhstan in September. :flowers:

YouTube - royal visit

Hi,

Yes, I agree that Prince Michael would be a great ambassador to Russia.
Has anybody ever proposed this to the Foreign Office?
This is something to consider seriously...

Larry

Dierna,
Thanks for the video! :flowers:
Prince and Princess Michael seemed to enjoy their visit to Kazakhstan. I like the friendly way they interact with people. Princess Michael did a good job playing tennis in high heels. Music accompanying the video is somewhat odd though.

As for a ambassador to the Russian Federation, I am not sure who could propose Prince Michael's candidacy for the post. I guess no one would do that.

Prince Michael of Kent attends a meeting with head of Russia's
Federation Council (upper parliament) Sergei Mironov in Moscow
on November 18, 2009. Prince Michael is in Moscow on a brief visit.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Crazy thought I know, but I have a suspicion this is how the Tsarevich Alexei would look if he had survived ...:flowers:

Yes, I agree that Prince Michael would be a great ambassador to Russia.
Larry it is an idea I agree....but I always thought he could be useful in a role as a sort of roving 'Special' Envoy for Eastern Europe, Russia and the former USSR states working in conjunction with accredited British Ambassadors already in place! Like the Duke of York does for 'Trade and Industry'....if you get my drift? I think Al_bina raised a very valid point though as to his being suggested as an 'Ambassador'!

I would love to know what the laymen of Russia think and feel about Prince Michael......any natives here? I only ask, as he does seem to go there quite frequently and because of his striking physical similarities to Nicholas II, whether he perhaps has a particularly high profile and image there and in other former Soviet Republics!

Can HRH serve as an ambassador? I'd think that ambassadors would have a somewhat political role.:ermm:

Can HRH serve as an ambassador? I'd think that ambassadors would have a somewhat political role.:ermm:

That's also my point of view. An ambassador usually has a political role and belongs to a party, so it's quite unlikely that Prince Michael could become ambassador. Although I think he would probably cut a good figure as diplomat.

I tend to agree Mermaid and Dierna... 'Ambassador' has that tacit link to the agenda of a Government! Nevertheless as I mused some posts back, I never understood why Prince Michael's interests in Russia and Eastern Europe were not put to more good use in an official capacity by the 'Firm,' I would go as far as to suggest that some critics of the Michaels may have even welcomed and been amenable to his being given a 'working' role and even an annuity in return for services in such a capacity.....had he been appointed to a post as an official envoy of some kind!

I think this may well go back to the widely suggested "trust" issue between HM and the Michaels, and hence, her refusal to give them a defined public role. There is little in the public domain as to the specific nature of the relationship between HM and the Michaels, so we are unlikely to be able to know the real reason.

...I never understood why Prince Michael's interests in Russia and Eastern Europe were not put to more good use in an official capacity by the 'Firm,'...his being given a 'working' role and even an annuity in return for services in such a capacity.....had he been appointed to a post as an official envoy of some kind!
The role of working royalty in these sorts of roles is to bring people together behind the scenes with the intention of creating or fostering "mutually beneficial relationships", usually in a commercial sense. This is what the Duke of York does. However, the role is fairly broad, is very much people-oriented, may look for long-term rather than short-term outcomes, and the activities are largely discreet and private. For this reason the person can be subject to criticism for not achieving obvious results even though they may have been instrumental in creating the relationship which led to, for example, a commercial contract.

As 'the Firm' does not employ its members in such roles it would be up to the government to find a suitable paid position, as it has with Andrew. My understanding is that Prince Michael used to (and maybe still does) undertake a similar role for the private sector.

Hi,

Yes, I guess "ambassador" is a little much for Michael as I forgot the political aspect of it all...
I was merely thinking of the ceremonial and diplomatic role....

And, I also do think that Alexei would have resembled Michael in the long run...

Larry

The bottom line is that Russians definitely like Prince Michael. He knows how to deal with Russians without intentionally or unintentionally offending them. Additionally, I dare to say that his regal appearance and demeanour commands instant respect. It would have been great for Prince Michael to have some official post. However, he appears to be comfortable in the niche he carved for himself.

Queen to let Prince and Princess of Kent stay (By the way, it looks like there are two articles merged into one so ignore paragraphs 3-10)

dailyexpress.com said:
"Reports a senior royal source: “HM is very fond of Prince Michael and appreciates his finances are not in the best position (although he carries out a number of official duties he’s not on the Civil List) and has decided the rent increase at KP should not be put through if they have trouble affording the payments."

Question: Does this mean the Kent's won't have to pay the market rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom