The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I'm talking about the numerous reported affairs she had, it's 11:03 pm and Russo is tired after having some rum and cokes so she's not equipped to go into detail about Marie-Christine, though! There has been a lot of past things that she has done, (calling Wallis "aunty wallis" and taking a pair of earrings from her and wearing them in front of HMTQ) though it seems that she has been keeping herself out of trouble of late I wonder about the Kensington bill, etc. Russo is going to bed now and she shall address this later. I do enjoy Prince/ss Michael of Kent though there is still some scandal attached to them.Does this make sense? Warren, your services might be in order here. . .

What is wrong with calling Wallis, Aunty Wallis? Wallis was Michael's aunty by marriage afterall (just as she was all the grandchildren of George V and Queen Mary).

Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe by referring to the Duchess of Windsor as "Aunty Wallis" in front of QETQM, the Royal Family inferred that Princess Michael was using the name as a source of irritation. It is well known that the Duchess of Windsor and QETQM did not like each other. Family members often know which buttons to push to get the grievances going.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What is wrong with calling Wallis, Aunty Wallis? Wallis was Michael's aunty by marriage afterall (just as she was all the grandchildren of George V and Queen Mary).
Some people probably took offense at that along with other who don't like the QM being called "Cookie".

Connie, I have found one article and will post it, and then find more. We had the office Christmas party last night and, as you know, Russo had a GRAND time!

Princess Michael of Kent
Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Pushy tells black diners to "go back to the colonies"
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Faces of the week

Another one of her talking tales out of school
Why 'Princess Pushy' fell for the Sheikh

and another.
Princess Michael defends breeding, Botox - and Harry | UK news | The Guardian

So my point being that HM has treated them quite well though, IMO, Marie-Christine talks too much. What she's says is being taken (possibly out of context) and slapped all over the place. It reminds me of Princess Margaret and her gaffes.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree about Princess Michael's ability to make gaffes and controversial remarks. However, Her Majesty's own family leaves much to be desired as well: highly publicised personal lives of both sons that led to wry smiles from other European houses.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh good Lord! Today in the Parade, we have a big article from Sarah, Duchess of York that epitomizes your statement. Really, the press is NOT the BRF's friend.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Russo....thanks for the links!
I knew the 'Colonies' story would be brought up! I thought the story 'was' taken out of context deliberately, as I was under the impression that the Princess was actually implying that general standards of decorum and 'manners' had slipped and that her comment was really meant as a lament of nostalgia about going back to the times of 'Colonies' rather than wishing her noisy dining neighbours would 'go back to the Colonies'. This was discussed at the time, but seems to have been quashed and deliberately and conveniently forgotten by the media in their bid to 'keep' MC down!

As to her other 'gaffes' I think Prince Philip has made far more offensive remarks over the years and as a 'paid up' senior member of the RF unlike MC, he has been let off rather lightly! I dare say that MC will always be pilloried at every opportunity!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Some people probably took offense at that along with other who don't like the QM being called "Cookie".

Connie, I have found one article and will post it, and then find more. We had the office Christmas party last night and, as you know, Russo had a GRAND time!

Princess Michael of Kent

The difference is that Cookie was a name deliberately used by the Duchess of Windsor to insult the Queen Mother whereas Wallis did become the aunt of all George V's grandchildren and so it is factually correct.

The Queen referred to the Duke of Windsor as Uncle David so I wonder what title she gave his wife - 'that woman' or Aunty Wallis. That was her relationship afterall.

The Queen Mother was rightfully touchy about the Duchess and may have preferred to not hear her name mentioned but to use the aunty title seems a bit over the top unless she had another preferred name e.g. Wallis alone with acknowledging the relationship - possible I admit and maybe that is what was used. I have never read anything much about how they referred to her after the marriage but the Duke of Kent was closest to David of all his brothers so it wouldn't surprise me if his children, even after his death, were raised to call her Aunty Wallis and thus Princess Micheal using that name was doing what was acceptable within the Kent family.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post

As to her other 'gaffes' I think Prince Philip has made far more offensive remarks over the years and as a 'paid up' senior member of the RF unlike MC, he has been let off rather lightly! I dare say that MC will always be pilloried at every opportunity!
I agree, and I believe Princess Margaret held her own in that department as well.
Iluvbertie, I just know that it rankled HM. I can't remember if I read it in Queen Elizabeth II: A Woman who is not amused, or not. I read that one and the bio. on Princess Michael of Kent over a decade ago and as Russo is getting long in the tooth, she can't remember as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Princess Pushy tells black diners to "go back to the colonies"
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Faces of the week

Another one of her talking tales out of school
Why 'Princess Pushy' fell for the Sheikh

and another.
Princess Michael defends breeding, Botox - and Harry | UK news | The Guardian

So my point being that HM has treated them quite well though, IMO, Marie-Christine talks too much. What she's says is being taken (possibly out of context) and slapped all over the place. It reminds me of Princess Margaret and her gaffes.
I totally agree Russo. Newcomers to the fold who may not be aware of protocol and the ever watching eyes of the tabloid press may slip up and make a gaffe or two. However ladies who were born into royalty and make sure everyone knows about it, should know better and be a bit more careful.
That colonies comment had New York buzzing for a few days.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Let's try to stay current regarding the events of The Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Michael of Kent gave Majesty-Magazine an interview. She is also at the cover of the current issue:

http://www.majestymagazine.com/images/issue/large.jpg
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update!
It is nice to know that Princess Michael was invited to grace the cover of the Majesty magazine. She looked wonderful. I am not keen on her turban though. Pearl ear-rings are magnificent. Hopefully the interview will be posted.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the cover photo! I'll be on the lookout for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Princess Michael of Kent gave Majesty-Magazine an interview. She is also at the cover of the current issue:

http://www.majestymagazine.com/images/issue/large.jpg
Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks, principessa! Lovely cover, Princess M. seems to like turbans...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has the photo of the cover been taken recently? She seems a lot younger then she really is...
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I had the same impression. I'm pretty sure it's a current photo, but photoshopped.

Here's a clip about the movie "Oh my god", a documentary in which all sorts of people were asked "who is god?". Peter Rodger, the director, also got a few celebrities for his movie, like Seal, Bob Geldof, Ringo Starr and also Princess Michael of Kent. There's a short appearance of her in this video at 0:51

Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

I had the same impression. I'm pretty sure it's a current photo, but photoshopped.
I fear you're right...although still wonderful, Princess Michael is nearly 65, and in the photo she doesn't look like a 65 years old woman...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The princess who works hard for her money

Quote:
Princess Michael of Kent has an eye for art. “I studied art history,” she says in an exclusive interview at the Emirates Palace hotel during Art Abu Dhabi, while wandering around the Galerie Gmurzynska looking at paintings by Picasso, Degas and Matisse, among others.

“The most important ingredient in being a collector or an art critic is curiosity. If you want to know, you learn, and with knowledge comes appreciation.” She pauses. “As well as a passionate desire to steal one of these paintings, which is why Mathias stays so close to me.”
Read more: Magazine - The National Newspaper
Old 12-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

British diplomats are now the only branch of the state to have escaped politicization by the Thatcherite and Blairite "elites"; how long this remains so is open to debate. Prince Michael of Kent is a cultured and uncontroversial figure (he thinks before he opens his mouth) and while my Russian colleagues inform me they find him intelligent and personable, he is viewed with suspicion because of his Romanov connections. Remember the revolution was a catastrophe for millions of Russians.

My personal belief is that it may show a lack of connection among court advisors in their failure to take on board one of the most able members of the royal family. Much maligned for his "commercial" work, what else would they have the man do when he has been excluded from the Firm.