The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 AM
Aristocracy

Yes thanks so Westminster for posting the link to the interview!

I have never managed to find any interviews with MC on the internet! Ho-hum!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
..even in the late 1990s when I was teaching exchange students as young as 14....they used to pretend to be Dutch when out of class and in town, because they were frightened of what would happen to them in small town Little Britain'....One child who was confronted by an elderly couple was actually spat upon when his nationality was discovered!!!!.
< ed: inferring an untruth >

In Britain < ed: accusatory response > you have been watching to many TV programmes ) the majority of people would not hear a difference between a German accent or a Dutch accent, good grief they can't even tell the difference between a Yorkshire or Lancashire accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
But they weren't antisemitic nor that serious IMO. I don't know why so many people on the opposite find Prince Philips quotes always that witty and funny, they're sometimes on the on the verge of racism too! Maybe a woman earns more envy......
Or is it that as a breeder, more is expected of her. I very much doubt it is envy on the part of the majority, as there seems to be an even scattering of men and women who find her distasteful. Could some of it be, that nobody likes a person who seems to blow her own trumpet, I don't know.
------------------------
With regard to any denial on video, many Americans believed Clinton when he denied any involvement with that woman, and look how that turned out!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
< ed: inferring untruth >

In Britain < ed: accusatory response > you have been watching to many TV programmes ) the majority of people would not hear a difference between a German accent or a Dutch accent, good grief they can't even tell the difference between a Yorkshire or Lancashire accent.
Good heavens.... < response to deleted accusation > ! I merely thought that I would share the incident as an example of what happened to a German child whilst in England, and I do not mind if people choose to doubt that it occurred - as we are all entitled to believe what we wish! But I believed it and had to make a report of the incident to the principal.

I just felt that the incident had a certain relevance that was perhaps pertinent as a comparison to the way MC's background may in part have fueled part of the negativity and hostility toward her! I appreciate that there is still great sensitivity surrounding the issue of the Second World War, but looking back through the last posts, the comment of 'like father, like daughter' opened a new avenue along which this discussion has travelled. I thought that it would be interesting to explore that a little more... that is all.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Lady Annabel Goldsmith book launch, Claridges, London, Britain - 11 Nov
IBL Gallery
Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Neat brooch, worth a look --> here
Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm afraid the link does not work for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

nor for me, Warren is it a close-up of the frog?. I like it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I'm afraid the link does not work for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

IBL changed the picture positions which made the link invalid.
I've hosted it in Photobucket so it won't disappear again.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fantastic Brooch and Jacket, a stunning look on Princess Michael!
Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Well ... Prince and Princess Michael's social calender seems to be full of various events. It is great to see them making so many public appearances.
Being a blond, Princess Michael looked surprisingly well wearing a deep black colour. The frog (a big emerald (?)one) brooch enlivened the whole look. Hairstyle and makeup are flawless. However, I am not sure about toggle-front closure, which tend to look somewhat cheap.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love the frog brooch. Interesting how different people see the same thing and have very different reactions; I think the toggle closure suits the style of jacket and looks just fine.

I'm wondering why we are seeing so much of Prince and Princess Michael at the moment, but whatever the reason I'm pleased to see them.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

The thing with her father has been blown out of all proportion. I have read about the facts concerning him in detail and to put it briefly, he joined the party very early on and was given an honorary SS rank due to being an aristocrat but after a few years turned against it and left. His de-nazification papers are on file. There is basically no more to it than that but the way some sections of the media reported it one would have thought he ran a concentration camp or something when in fact he had no connection to any atrocities whatsoever. All this was actually revealed in 1985 after the story broke and the papers, at the time, accepted that it wasn't the story they had originally made it out to be so I can't understand why it still gets referred back to time and time again.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina
People, who met Prince and Princess Michael in person, never fail to mention how much they liked the couple and enjoyed conversing with them
No, not all people who have met or spoken to them!

< ed: removed quoted post and dismissive response to it >

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
so I can't understand why it still gets referred back to time and time again.
Some of us were trying to fathom out why she is so disliked by many in the UK, this was one of the reasons I suggested. Some misread the post and ......

One point to note is that the only way to leave the Nazi party, from my understanding, was to escape the country or feet first.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Gentry

I can't understand one thing - why MC hasn't got any order yet?!?!?! I know that she isn't full time royal, but she use to make great charity work, many patronages, some public / official engagements, represents Queen abroad at coronations, funerals etc, take part in state visits... all of it without civil list!!! So why? Only because Queen doesn't like her? It is wird. After 31 years of marriage, 31 years of being royal she deserve for Royal Monogram or even GCVO! I agree that sometimes she seems to be quite controversial but we should remember about her work for 31 years.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Aristocracy

Good point Andrew24!

Even as is speculated that the Queen is not very fond of MC, I too think that having done lots for charities over the last three decades MC does deserve some sort of gong! If anything she deserves a gong for enduring so many catty and nasty comments for so long too!!!!

Even though the fount of all honours has held back with the family order, I think MC at least deserves an OBE (DBE if I had my way) at the very least! The RVO is I believe bestowed for personal services to the sovereign and perhaps this is a sticky point in certain people's opinion!

Personally, when I look at someone like Lord Archer of Weston-Super-Mare being allowed to keep his seat in the Lords....MC behaves like a saint in comparison! This leaves one wondering about the whole honours system....IMHumbleO!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Courtier

Just to continue on from Andrew24 -

You either have or you haven't got class - and PM has it, more so than some of the ladies closer to the monarch.

I didn't realise it has been 31 years, why no recognition at all for her? So it's not just the public that are mean to her, some one much higher up as well, she takes it all astoundingly well.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Thanks so much for this, Westminster. I'd been looking for this interview for awhile.

Had she done another interview on the same topic? I seem to remember her facing in the other direction while being interviewed.
I think this interview has been edited quite often, but maybe she indeed gave more than one interview about this topic? I'm not sure. Here's the newscast from 1985.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you Dierna23.....very interesting and succinct report that I think will clear up various queries we might have had about the Baron's position!

Lovely to see and hear the old News at Ten blurb at the beginning - I came over all nostalgic! And there was Diana in that midnight blue star spangled number.....Goodness this does make me feel old and take me back!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 24 View Post
Only because Queen doesn't like her?
Do you have any firm evidence that she is disliked by HM or the Royal family? If she was so despised, do you think HM would continue to endure her presence at many functions? As to giving her a gong, certain criteria has to be met, apart from doing some charity work. Through her marriage she is a Princess, what more would she want?
Quote:
... very interesting and succinct report that I think will clear up various queries we might have had about the Baron's position ---- I too think that having done lots for charities over the last three decades MC does deserve some sort of gong!
Not really, to clear up any lingering doubts, I would wish to hear evidence from people other than MC, it also appears to be the same video clip posted elsewhere. The problem with the pair of them is that they have done more commercial work than representing HM or charities.

< ed: removed quoted post and dismissive response to it >
Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

Skydragon!

I am prepared to accept that records, - official and private do not always tell the whole truth...but goodness me Skydragon you sound almost as cynical as me when I am on a mission on issues!!!! My word, you do know how to inflame a conversation! Anyway, MC is not directly responsible for what her father did or did not do, so.......shall we move on?

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Closed Thread