The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I disagree. People are not obligated to attend weddings. That goes from people like me to members of Royal families. Security would have been a problem, no way around it. I am sure that they sent a nice gift. Perhaps they were not invited, who knows. When you get right down to it, PN is the son of a deposed king (so not really royalty any more). Had they married in London (where they all live), there would probably have been more BRF representation.

The Kents look wonderful, botox or not!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Serene Highness

After years of watching the BRF I must admit that my interest is more or less over. There are practically no tiara events that one gets to see anymore and in other spheres "privacy" seems to have taken over to the point where I would rather spend my time enjoying the European Royal Households who are not so precious in certain ways.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Courtier

So true :-(
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is important to understand the key reason, IMO, the British RF are quite discrete when it comes to displays of jewellery. IMO, we British like to see a BRF that is hard working and focussed on their work, but do nort like to see ostentatious displays of wealth. In these economic times, a huge ball with all the European royalty and in the tiaras and jewels partying into the night for the Queens 60th wedding anniversary or the PoWs 60th birthday would not have huge public support. This was opreciserly the reason, IMV, that the PoWs 60th birthday celebrations were rather discrete and low-key. Boring as this may seem to royal watchers, I just do not expect to see in Britain the sort of celebrations we saw from Queen Margarete's 70th birthday in Copenhagen recently.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Majesty

So true - the British simply wouldn't stand for it. There seems to be way more criticism of the BRF in Britain's media than there is of the other royals families within their own media and the BRF is savvy to this - at least at the top.

The younger royals don't seem to care and are often ostentatious with their luxury holidays every chance they get whereas the Queen and these days Charles tend to holiday at home (since divorcing Diana Charles has holidayed way more in Britain than overseas - sure he still has some time away but he seems more and more like his mother - liking the comforts of home for his holidays).
Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Well, I certainly hope that everyone in Britain pulls out all the stops for The Queen during her Diamond Jubilee. Tiaras and gowns and black tie, even white tie, events.
After all, it isn't every monarch who reigns for 60 years and that should signal a "grand occasion"...

I suggest a big concert with Commonwealth performers to end the Jubilee.
Is the London Paladium still in existance - that could be where all the jewels come out!!! Or Albert Hall...

Larry
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Majesty

With the Olympics only a month or so afterwards people will have to choose, in some circumstances, which event is to get the money. Although I am sure the Jubilee will be a big celebration I wonder if it would have been bigger if Paris was to host the games rather than London.

I know that they are going to have a 4 day long weekend and that the celebrations will centre over those four days. I also know, from personal decision making, that many people will have to choose which event to go to London for (my family made a unanimous vote for the Olympics as The Queen simply doesn't rate with my family and friends).

With the time difference between here and London and having to go to work I would suspect that I will see nothing of the Jubilee live and then will have to figure out whether it would be worth taping it or just rely on the snippets on the news. In 2002 I taped it and never watched any of it, except the church service. I did though visit Britain later that year and saw a lot of exhibits dedicated to the year - gardens as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Aristocracy

Hi Iluvbertie,

I know what you mean about people being up against it over Jubilee or Olympics....

Personally, I don't give a damn about the Olympics; I think they're corrupt and rigged and over-expensive... A person can see all that on TV for nothing....

I am going to London for the first 2 weeks in June and will take in the Trooping, the Garter ceremony and Ascot...
But, if there was a big gala concert (a charity event), I think that would be the icing on the cake.

The Diamond Jubilee could very well be the 'last hurrah' for Her Majesty's reign, as it was for Victoria, so I'd like to see a big fuss made of her!!!
Hopefully though, I hope she gets to celebrate another Jubilee - her 70th - - -
What's that called anyway??

Larry
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Lets get back on topic....the Kents.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Commoner

Their Royal Highnesses attended the wedding of Prince Nikolaos and the then Miss Tatiana Blatnik because they are close friends with King Constantine and his entire family. It's no big deal.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Michael of Kent on the trading floor during the BGC Partner's 6th
Annual Charity Day, at Churchill Place in Canary Wharf, east London,
September 13, 2010.

** Pic ** belga gallery **
Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Princess Michael of Kent:“William should get out of it while he still can”.- Express.co.uk
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Is this where Philip could step in and ask her if she's wearing gilded knickers that could serve as a nose warmer?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Good ol' MC, she can shake the waters in boring London any time. Osipi, I think these two should be friends. I wish they could realise the power of their witticisms and join forces! Then we could have a chuckle or two every now and then.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Michael, along with her husband's nephew Earl of St Andrews and his family, attended Papal mass at the Westminster Cathedral in London, yesterday, and attended also the Papal open-air mass of Beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman in Birmingham, today. She also attended several events connected with the Beatification before.
Check out:
Translation of remains of Cardinal Newman at his Birmingham Oratory / Local News / Media Centre / Catholic Church / Root - The Catholic Church for England and Wales
We can see the Windsors here , at the 11th minute,
and here from 1:54 until 2:11. The Princess' presence is mentioned by the BBC man.
It must be also at today's highlitghs from Cofton Park, but it's not yet at youtube. Do you have it from any other source?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks so much for posting the videos, kbk! Because of my work I sadly wasn't able to watch the mass. Via Twitter I've heard that Princess Michael has just met the Pope. It would be lovely if we could see pictures from their meeting.

Here's a picture of the Princess in Birmingham (originally posted by @SpotsvStripes on Twitter): Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/jbszqwj - Uploaded by SpotsvStripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Good ol' MC, she can shake the waters in boring London any time. Osipi, I think these two should be friends. I wish they could realise the power of their witticisms and join forces! Then we could have a chuckle or two every now and then.
Interesting thought, they would be a good match! I've always wondered about their relationship as they're both not that different, IMHO.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Via Twitter I've heard that Princess Michael has just met the Pope.
Could you link this?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes, here it is: The Catholic Herald (catholicherald) on Twitter You have to scroll down to find the particular message.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Royal Highness

So maybe in her opinion, Prince William should do the royal old school thing and marry his father's second cousin, Lady Gabriella. Ta Ta...surprise
Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Married into the BRF for 32 years and still hasn't learned to think before opening her mouth especially when discussing the BRF. The woman loves publicity of any kind.